• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "drop-in" bottom metal

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    A friend is building a LA rifle on a Shilen action (says everything is Remington-compatible.) Who makes a good "drop in" detachable box mag system that accepts standard remington dbl inletting?

Have used, with great success, Vbull metal, but they are impossible to find now.

Will Badger M5 accept standard bdl inletting?

Re: "drop-in" bottom metal

The bottom metal is fairly robust and has a good look to it.
    The mags are fine, but if you're accustomed to loading AI mags you might find loading these a bit cumbersome until you figure out that they are sprung from the rear only. Took me about 1 minute to sort through that. Can load them easily as AI mags now.
    In my HS stocked rems they were a complete drop in unit with perfect fit and feed.

Hooper Ordnance long action bottom metal uses aics mags and is dropin to REM bdl. Inlet. Very good stuff. Comes with two levers one oberndorf style and a badger style lever. Check it out. Hooper is also a hide supporter.

FWIW I've yet to see an aftermarket floor metal "drop into" a stock already ineltted for something else. There's always a hang up, a gap to fill in, etc.

SOMETHING always seems to skewer the job.

Because of this in my shop its a std practice to fixture/machine the stock right from the git go. Makes life much easier.

Also you have to ensure your overlap between the bolt/feed lips is set right. Get it wrong and the bolt just locks up when cycling. Get it too deep and the feed lips drag on the bolt causing marks, hanging up cycling, etc. Certain cartridges are more troublesome than others too. Cases with shallow tapers (like Ackleys for instance) are generally a little more work to get right.

Good luck.

C.

I have a Hooper Ordinance for my Lawton 280 Ackley. I had originally pillar bedded it for a standard BDL bottom metal. It is in a Manners stock. The Hooper dropped right in at the right height. It feeds great from the AI mags.

Email Hooper. His response is generally faster that way. I have one of his short action dbms. Good stuff, for sure.

Emails answered. Been away from the puter.

Thanks guys.