• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DRRC's Dynamic Range

Sumpter Steve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Gresham, Oregon
I have been asked to help Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in designing their new "Dynamic Range". Their intent is to get more "tactical" training classes (MAGPUL, Grey Group, etc) and to help promote tactical shooting competitions. What we are working with (see pic) is a range that is 200 yards long by 50 yards wide and is independant via berms and jersey barriers of the other two ranges on both sides of it. All bullet impacts have to impact in the direction of but not necessarily into the 165 yard berm or the 200 yard berm. This means that as long as we are shooting in the direction of the berms (East) we can impact the grass in front of the berms and thus we can set up steel targets from 20 yards out to 200 yards. I was thinking of having a small track system (20 yards long) installed on top of the 200 yard berm so that we could shoot movers (IPSC Cardboard Silhouettes) and ordering up a bunch of steel targets that could be put anywhere downrange. The club is building an "Urban Wall" that will have a door and windows and can be placed anywhere on the range. In addition they are building several "stepped" walls for positional shooting as well as move to cover drills. I need the help of you guys and your input as to how you would set it up to be an effective training range. Thank you for your help.
Steve.

DRRCDynamicRange.jpg

Re: DRRC's Dynamic Range

Steve,

With the exception of the mover (which is a great idea), I would keep everything mobile. This way you are not locked into target locations and you can keep it flexible.

If you are able to dig small pits (keep drainage in mind), then several locations for portable pop-up systems would be awesome. That way you can drop in remote-activated systems like the LaRue, MGM or others. Having pop-up/reactive targets really adds another dimension when you are running training or competitions. It also adds in the speed of the stage setup/maintenance. Having several pits would allow you to pick and choose which ones you drop a target into for that evolution.

If they would let you build a tower at the 1K line, THAT would be badass. Something like the "mousetrap" deals that RO is building would be pretty cool.

I love the facility you guys have out there. Keep it up so when we move to Oregon in 15-20 years I can kick back, drink coffee and marvel in your accomplishment!

Steve,

I second LWUSMC's input. He's spot on. Due to the 200 yard range, you can employ tactical carbine, as well as open up some good Law Enforcement "Sniper" competitions. 200 yards is feasible for us, and very much in our operational window. Movers are VERY good for that genre.

The object is "dynamic" and ease of motion. The ability to engage on the move is attractive, and is where you will excel.

Give me a call sometime. I will let you know what we have here... and how I would improve it if I were King for a day...

Be safe Brother.

~ Darren

Even movers can be mobil. all you need is a little cart or wagon and two pullys with lines running back to the firing line. Or just guys walking down the pits with a target on a stick.

Besides walls on the firing points, for my sniper schools (LE) I have walls down range with a window cut in. Tie a couple of different colored baloons on the far side of the target to simulate hostage sitations. But that too, can be mobil.

If, as the others have said, with mobility, you're only limited by your imaganation.

Steve,

The portable pop up systems are great for shooting and moving as a team and to practice reaction shooting from long distance. We train using Fort Huachucha's gun range. Also, your idea of moving walls is important and creating tiered walls all the way down the range every 20 meters to perform some urban movements would be a great addition. Perhaps some vehicles as well to practice shooting out of the bed of a truck in any location on the range. Unfortunately, everyone knows which side contact will come from but if you can get berms on the sides too, that would allow some lateral shooting with the popup targets. The moving target idea is simple but a fun challenge that many ranges do not offer. Good luck with building!

TE