• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dry fire practice . . .

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
Howdy folks. I will be picking up my "custom R700" soon. With winter right around around the corner, I was wondering if anybody on here would like to share some of their dry fire exercises with me? I will still be shooting in the winter, just not nearly as much. Any thoughts/recommendations would be great. Thanks.

I have a steel lid about 2.75" round hung in a tree 83 yards from my living room window, its great for knelling and standing sessions.

I draw a black dot on a piece of tape with a sharpie and stick it on the wall at the end of my hallway. I practice prone with that. I also dry fire before every range session and i have been known to dry fire on deer as well.

When practicing, I concentrate on all the fundamentals as well as proper body position. I also practice quick and effective bolt manipulation and have definitely noticed an improvement at the range. Dry firing may not be as fun as live fire, but its almost more effective for me anyways.

I've recently started dry firing practice. I use a No Parking sign that's about 50 yards down my street as my target. I've also got a couple of IOTA's heading my way so that'll be able to practice indoors. The want to better myself, coupled with the price of match grade .308 has motivated me to do this. I'm hoping this will improve my groups by strengthening my fundamentals.