• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dry fire training aids

OzTRG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
hi guys,
i don't get as much range time as I would like and am trying to improve through dry fire. I have been using the old coin balanced on the barrel trick (said in my best maxwell smart voice) but lately having been thinking if there is a technical solution. I can't afford a SCATT training system so I was wondering if anyone had experience with the MantisX (https://mantisx.com/). Any reviews or views on these training systems as opposed to old school coins would be appreciated.

My 0.02... dry fire in ways that are harder than how you will actually shoot. If you shoot prone, practice dry firing from a barricade. If you shoot from a barricade with some sort of bag, practice dry firing without a bag. If you can hold position and break clean shots from difficult positions, then the standard shots get simple.

Thanks sheldon- I appreciate your input. I am doing lots of unsupported sling shooting in prone, unsupported over a backpack and a homemade barricade. Your input. Makes a lot of sense and I will have a crack at it. What's your view on the technology?

Looks like a cool concept, maybe suited better to pistol than rifle. I just try to hold my reticle on target while I dry fire, concentrate on follow through and keeping the reticle on target even after the shot breaks, then pay attention to the results of every shot to make corrections as needed.

I have the MantisX and bought it for pistol. It saved me a lot of ammo and well worth the price. You can really hone in on what you are doing wrong. It works well with a rifle too. They put out an update a while back that made it work with a rifle. I haven't used it much with the rifle yet. How it works is the same. I was impressed with it and continue to you use.

I have the MantisX and bought it for pistol. It saved me a lot of ammo and well worth the price. You can really hone in on what you are doing wrong. It works well with a rifle too. They put out an update a while back that made it work with a rifle. I haven't used it much with the rifle yet. How it works is the same. I was impressed with it and continue to you use.

I'm guessing it detects the vibration of the trigger drop to know when the shot broke, correct? I would expect to see very little help from something like this dry fire prone with a bipod. But I do think it would help with unsupported or even barricade shooting - places where there is more movement. I'd like to hear your feedback if you use it more on rifle. I think it looks like a very nice tool.

You're pretty spot on. With a bipod it will still detect a trigger slap but it isn't as useful as positional or off-hand shooting. When I have used it with my AR's it works well. I am just getting back into rifle shooting and will be using it more coming up.

You're pretty spot on. With a bipod it will still detect a trigger slap but it isn't as useful as positional or off-hand shooting. When I have used it with my AR's it works well. I am just getting back into rifle shooting and will be using it more coming up.

So how does it decide when to start the trace that they show on the website? There could be some misleading data when getting the sling setup, for example. Or is that up to the user to filter out that data? I would think it is similar to pistol dry fire while drawing from a holster? Or not?

I believe it is always on. What it shows normally is just before and just after the trigger press. There is a mode that shows much more but it is a little unwieldy when viewing. You will know if there is an erroneous entry. A few months ago I spent just about everyday with it and did 20 shots with it didn't go to the range at all. Just dry fire, I would usually warm up with some drills from the holster and work on being smooth with my mechanics. I would dry fire during that time and at the end I would put the mantis on and do 20 shots. My average score was in the low 80's. the first few days. It slowly got better and better and what it was telling me I wouldn't have been able to see unless I had been going to the range. Now my average is consistently in the mid 90's over 20 shots.

Most of it was showing that it wasn't necessarily my trigger press but the pressure I was or wasn't applying with the rest of my hands. With it I was able to hone in on certain pressures and adjust. What was more interesting is it showing me differences with different pistols. With my Baby Eagle I was applying more pressure with my right hand, I'm right handed. With my PPQ I was applying more pressure with my left. It has been a very useful tool for me and already paid for itself.

Hell its only money. I will order on and try it out. Will post a review. Thanks guys

Google the D.F.A.T. dry fire training adapter. DST PRECISION

OK, so I can make the same thing with a set of Butler Creek scope lids and a drill......

All it does is add depth of focus to a scope to bring the image into focus inside of the min focal distance built into the scope.

I'm not selling them, I was just trying to give people ideas on how to improve.

Here's what they look like, pretty simple... Qzg5NUVERERGMkY4OTNEQTUxQjM6ZDk5MzY2ZmUzNTIzNjI1OTdkMTFkNjI5ZGY5MDQ5OTg6Ojo6OjA=.jpg