• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

dry firing

Re: dry firing

It will not harm most guns. I think you're not supposed to with a 22 but not positive. It is the best way to work on trigger control. You could always use a snap cap/dummy round if you are concerned.

I dont think it is but, you could buy some snap caps if your worried about it then, no worries.

My air rifle coach in high school told us we should dry fire 10 full shot routines for every live round. It works.

Do it.

On a similar question, is it ok to "wet-fire" a weapon?
smile.gif

try it with an AR and get back to me with the results

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a similar question, is it ok to "wet-fire" a weapon?
smile.gif

try it with an AR and get back to me with the results </div></div>

As long as the butt plate isn't pointed in your direction or against your shoulder!!

With modern weapons, dry firing has little chance of hurting anything. I would recomend and personally use snap caps though.

One of the best exercises you can do is to have someone else load your magazine. Have them place a snap cap or two in the sequence somewhere. You will not know when the dummy round will come up. It's great for both control training and malfunction drills.

If you know you are going to dry fire, you do better at your trigger control. If you are expecting a bang, but only get a click, you can really tell what mistakes you are making.

I've dry fired a few thousand times through my 700, no problems so far. take it FWIW

I think it's absolutely necessary to dry fire. I dryfire at least every other day. Unless you have a tremendous abmount of ammo and time to spend on the range, dry firing is a must!

Rimfires shouldn't be dry fired. You can peen the edge of the chamber on them.
I don't know how else you could get the trigger time needed without dry firing. I
never have been close enough to a gun range to shoot 4 or 5 days a week.

Yes,many center fire pistols can be dry fired without any harm and it does help with trigger control and sight alignment,all for free. If you're in doubt about harming your handgun,there's always snapcaps. .22 rimfires will probably damage the cylnder or chamber with repeated dryfiring. I do have a Ruger 10/22 and a 77/22 that I can safely dryfire and do so because the firing pins don't quite reach the chamber. These may be the exception to the rule.

I dry fire Each time I go the range. Its great practice. You wont hurt anything. If something breaks, its better to find out now and get it replaced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes,many center fire pistols can be dry fired without any harm and it does help with trigger control and sight alignment,all for free. If you're in doubt about harming your handgun,there's always snapcaps. .22 rimfires will probably damage the cylnder or chamber with repeated dryfiring. I do have a Ruger 10/22 and a 77/22 that I can safely dryfire and do so because the firing pins don't quite reach the chamber. These may be the exception to the rule. </div></div>

You are definitely correct about the 10/22. The firing pins are blocked from making contact with the edge of the chamber. I've dryfired my 10/22 countless times and there isn't a mark.

Two shoes, I think anything can be dry fired safely or atleast with no ill effects provided you are using snap caps and IMHO for a few dollars for some GREAT training/teaching tools it is money well spent.

There are WAY too many different designs of firearms to be able to categorically say that it IS or IS NOT ok to dry fire.

It is perfectly OK with a Remington 700.

Dry firing is critical to marksmanship training.

In youth rifle programs, we encourage them to dry fire-- the rifles they are using are usually higher end Anschutz's, FWB's etal. You can dry fire them all day, and should!

It's usually the cheaper .22s that wind up with the problems, because of exactly what has been said already-- it can peen on the rim of the chamber, such that it will eventually cause a buildup of material on the lip. When that happens, you cannot get a shell to completely seat in the chamber, and the chamber surface has to be re-surfaced.

I have a picture of a damaged chamber, but I'm at work right now and our firewall won't let me access photobucket-- go figure. I'll post it later tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongShot94</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tried the search and came up with nothing, ive always been taught that it is very bad to dry fire, is that true? </div></div>

Dryfiring most weapons is fine and part of regular training.

Your Glock, 1911, Remy 700, AR15 and most other popular centerfire guns have no ill effects from dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. In fact, most shooting instructors will teach you for every live round you shoot, you should practice dry fire three. IT helps with muscle memory and flinching. You'd be surprised how much more accurate your shooting gets with a good dry firing regimen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dry fire mine way more then I actually shoot it. </div></div>

Same here I practice taking head shots on people and their dogs about 200 yards away on the bike path near my house. I do this from my bed looking out my window of course. I have no ammo or mags in the room for the gun I use for dryfire

I dry fire my CF comp rifle way more than I live fire. Dry firing commits to muscle memory all the elemenets of marksmanship without having to contend with the effects of recoil and easily points out problems in your routine that are often masked with recoil. I teach my students that they should be dry firing 3:1 to live fire. More if they're just learning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dry fire mine way more then I actually shoot it. </div></div>

Same here I practice taking head shots on people and their dogs about 200 yards away on the bike path near my house. I do this from my bed looking out my window of course. I have no ammo or mags in the room for the gun I use for dryfire </div></div>

I'm glad I don't walk my dog in LoCo, VA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dry fire mine way more then I actually shoot it. </div></div>

Same here I practice taking head shots on people and their dogs about 200 yards away on the bike path near my house. I do this from my bed looking out my window of course. I have no ammo or mags in the room for the gun I use for dryfire </div></div>

Jezz. You are truely a freakin' nut ball.

This may be the stupidest action I've ever heard described on this site.

Please, never, ever, point a gun at anything that you do not want to destroy.

Unbelieveable.

Same here I practice taking head shots on people and their dogs about 200 yards away on the bike path near my house. I do this from my bed looking out my window of course. I have no ammo or mags in the room for the gun I use for dryfire </div></div> I can't think of any reasonable line of thinking that would lead one to believe this is a good idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Because its unloaded and you are the only one qualified to handle it right? Like this guy?

deashootfoot.jpg

Real bad idea.......so you are saying you dry fire on your bed? Sounds more like psycho wannabe a sniper shit that training....

Wow I come back a few hours later and see people can't take jokes. next time I'll add smilies. I do take dry fire shots at squirrels across the pond though

I think if someone told me if i dry fired 300 times everything would break.I would dry fire 299 times.For me dry firing is great practice,trigger control,sight picture,etc.

I saw nothing in your post to denote that you were being sarcastic or funny.

Amazingly enough I have actually read a post on another forum where a member (claiming he was LE) said he did exactly what you described so he could practice what it feels like to drop the hammer on a human. He was dead serious. If he was in my state I would have gone to the trouble to trace his IP and at the least contact his department so he could have a psych eval.

Just simply posting that in an open forum shows poor taste and poorer judgement. It gives the wrong people the tools they need to attack our Second Amendment Rights.

We are our own worst enemies.

Most manufactours will tell you whether it's ok to dry fire or not. Most bolt guns are ok, but I'd take the time and get a snap cap

"My air rifle coach in high school told us we should dry fire 10 full shot routines for every live round. It works"

OMG, that is oh so bad on the Seals of any FNW or Anz rifles. If Neal Johnson (God of Airguns) Saw that, he would butt stroke you with your airgun! BAD COACH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw nothing in your post to denote that you were being sarcastic or funny. </div></div>

I figured people would have read enough my post by now to know me. My mistake. I'll be sure to add smilies next time I post something obviously ridiculous next time. I had this video in mind when I was posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olm7xC-gBMY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dry fire mine way more then I actually shoot it. </div></div>

This may be the stupidest action I've ever heard described on this site.

Please, never, ever, point a gun at anything that you do not want to destroy.

Unbelieveable. </div></div>

+1