• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dry Lube, which to use???

rickp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,
I would like to get some feedback on the dry lube thats out there.

For my sniper system, in the past I've used sentry solutions smooth-kote and the BP2000 powder. Both are molybdenum disulfide based. I've also used the tuf-cloth for the outside of my pistols and M4. I can honestly say it seems to work well. I really like the powder, it's a bit messy, but once on it makes things run pretty smooth and dust is a non issue.

For internal lube I use Militec-1. That means, pistols, M4, AK, 249, RPK, PKM, and Shotgun.

I'm only concerned about precision rifle systems. Anyone else here use this Sentry Solutions dry lube? if not what do you use or recommend? I'm looking for something that would work well in high dust enviroments and cold weather. Kind of a all in one product.

In Iraq we used Breakfree, while it does it's intended job, it's really crap. It's cheap and plentyfull which is why the military and us use it.

Thanks
R.

Re: Dry Lube, which to use???

A good one I've used is "Dry-Slide" a Molydisulfide lube. Comes in a can of evaporating carrier. Sometimes hard to find. I've also used and will again, the Dry Moly spray from the Caterpillar dealer. About $6 bucks from the Cat dealer and is terrific stuff. Good thing about moly dry is that it is inert and not, like graphite, a low on the electrolytic scale conductor; which can, I understand, cause corrosion on unlike metals, such as steel and aluminum in the AR's when they get wet and unsufficiently dried out. JMHO

Re: Dry Lube, which to use???

Amazon has Dri-Slide for bikes. There is a for weapons version as well but you have to dig through google to find that. I suspect that there is not much difference but packaging. The price on the Cat Dry Moly is GREAT if you have a Cat dealer nearby I highly recommend checking them out. Amazon has CRC products which are usually a good call as well, 16oz can for $9 plus shipping (unless you wait a bit and order a bunch of stuff for free shipping).

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

A ? for fnp...so why did you have your naval removed? Did it hurt?
cry.gif
laugh.gif