• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dry neck lube when seating bullets & Inside neck honing

newageroman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
www.brassbucket.net
Does anyone use this on the inside of the necks when seating to reduce initial pressure spikes and lower SDs? If so how do you apply the dry lube. It seems if you dip the necks in the media then drop powder and seat, the powder may knock off most of what was there. I dip the heel of the bullet in as well, but I feel all this is getting scraped off during seating.

Any other tips on inside neck honing (dremel bits, fine sandpaper, stiff brushes etc.) and if it makes a difference?
Thanks,

I size the neck with a bushing die, and after I dry lube dip, I run a mandrel in the case to set my neck tension and move any deformities to the outside of the neck. This step also appears to plaster the dry lube to the inside neck wall. They look the same before and after I dump the powder. Bullets seem to seat with uniform pressure (by feel, I'm not measuring seating force) and I have pretty low SDs.

Reactions: newageroman
I use dry lube on the bullet shank just before seating. I don't bother trying to coat the inside of he neck. Seems to make seating pressure consistent and improves SD.

I size the neck with a bushing die, and after I dry lube dip, I run a mandrel in the case to set my neck tension and move any deformities to the outside of the neck. This step also appears to plaster the dry lube to the inside neck wall. They look the same before and after I dump the powder. Bullets seem to seat with uniform pressure (by feel, I'm not measuring seating force) and I have pretty low SDs.
That makes sense. I also bushing and mandrel size, I just have only been using the dry lube for bullet seating, duh. I'll run it that way next time and will probably try dipping the heel of the bullet to boot. I was thinking about brushes or loading Q tips AFTER the powder drops, but I hope the dry lube and mandrel cakes good, we will see...
thx for the tips.

Reactions: SupressYourself
If annealing, brush the necks or tumble afterwards. With Redding dry neck lube and applicator balls, empty half the balls out. Add enough graphite to make them black. If using a mandrel dip case necks prior too. The mandrel pushes the graphite into the pores of the brass. Dip again prior to seating.
@918v Helped me with this a while back and it made a big difference in seating pressure.

Yep, Just finished another set f test groups for 300PRC.
I have annealed with AMP so there is some residual stuff inside the necks.
I tumbled with SS media for 1 hour, rinsed, baked dry, then tried honing the inside necks for the first time. Used the bore brush and some small patches of fine emory paper. The honing made a huge difference in finish on the inside of the necks. I then imp. wax lube body of cases and dipped the necks in the dry lube and dropped powder. I then dipped the heels of the boat tails in the dry lube as well and seated to mag len.

I figure these are all the tricks I know of to reduce initial neck tension. If I'm missing any tricks post em up. I won't get to shoot these for a cuople weeks, but making them has been fun!

I tumble in white rice, lube with One Shot case lube, resize, wipe the outside of the case.
Prime, powder and seat a bullet.
Done.