• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dry Tumbling - Lead exposure? Wet - Neck peening? Ultrasonic instead?

richthe1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Getting into reloading and putting together my list. So far, I’ve learned everything is a rabbit hole - including cleaning brass!

Dry Tumbling - This is the route I was planning on going, but am concerned about the amount of lead exposure. I have a 1yr old son, so I am very cautious of lead exposure while he’s developing. I just don’t know if I’m overreacting here.

Wet Tumbling - seems like the best option, but Area 419 said they have had issues when they left brass to wet tumble to long (okay, that can be avoided) but also just wet tumbling over serveral firings, will roll over/peen the necks of the brass.

Ultrasonic - this seems to avoid both of my concerns above, but doesn’t seem as popular. Is this an acceptable route to go? Also, I’m not sure why the RCBS 2 is $350 and the harbor freight is $80?

Any advice would be appreciated! Also, any tips on ultrasonic cleaning! Currently planning on using the hornady or RCBS case cleaner for ultrasonic cleaning.

I also am hoping to:
1. Ultrasonic clean BEFORE decapping
2. use a case dryer to quickly dry the cases (especially to prevent corrosion from wet spent primers still in the case)
3. then use the SAC (or similar) die to decap, resize, and madrel for neck tension. 4. Then, ultrasonic again to remove the lube that was used to resize.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Don't over think it. All three methods have pros and cons. There's nothing wrong with dry tumbling, you won't get lead poisoning.

Here's a decent size ultrasonic cleaner:

VEVOR 15L Ultrasonic Cleaner with Digital Timer&Heater Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner 40kHz Advanced Ultrasonic Cleaner 110V for Wrench Screwdriver Repairing Tools Industrial Parts Mental Cleaning https://a.co/d/1mLemBl

Getting into reloading and putting together my list. So far, I’ve learned everything is a rabbit hole - including cleaning brass!

Dry Tumbling - This is the route I was planning on going, but am concerned about the amount of lead exposure. I have a 1yr old son, so I am very cautious of lead exposure while he’s developing. I just don’t know if I’m overreacting here.

Wet Tumbling - seems like the best option, but Area 419 said they have had issues when they left brass to wet tumble to long (okay, that can be avoided) but also just wet tumbling over serveral firings, will roll over/peen the necks of the brass.

Ultrasonic - this seems to avoid both of my concerns above, but doesn’t seem as popular. Is this an acceptable route to go? Also, I’m not sure why the RCBS 2 is $350 and the harbor freight is $80?

Any advice would be appreciated! Also, any tips on ultrasonic cleaning! Currently planning on using the hornady or RCBS case cleaner for ultrasonic cleaning.

I also am hoping to:
2. use a case dryer to quickly dry the cases (especially to prevent corrosion from wet spent primers still in the case)
3. then use the SAC (or similar) die to decap, resize, and madrel for neck tension. 4. Then, ultrasonic again to remove the lube that was used to resize.
What lead. You’re tumbling brass. Are you planning to shoot un-jacketed lead bullets out of your rifle? Probably not. And we aren’t talking un-jacketed rimfire cause…you won’t be tumbling them for reloading.

As far as I know, lead is not an issue.

Reactions: Dolomite
What he said ^^^

I wet tumble and have had no issues, now I dont tumble my brass for 3 hours at a time so maybe that is why!

What lead. You’re tumbling brass. Are you planning to shoot un-jacketed lead bullets out of your rifle? Probably not. And we aren’t talking un-jacketed rimfire cause…you won’t be tumbling them for reloading.

IIRC, there used to be trace amounts heavy metals in primer residue, not sure what the lastest science is.

Reactions: Baron23
I wet tumble pistol brass. Rifle brass gets de-primed, annealed, sized, slosh washed to get lube off and then finally loaded. I don't see the need for super shiny brass.

Slosh wash: 2.5 gal bucket a little soap and hot water. Stir then rinse. It takes all of 5 minutes. If I'm in a hurry I then place the brass in the clothes dryer on the shoe rack. Otherwise on a towel and place on my heated floor overnight.

Deprime before tumbling, problems solved ;)

There is lead residue from the primer compound (lead styphnate) that may find its way into dry tumbling media. It could potentially become airborne and be inhaled.

How much lead? I don't know. Guess that depends on who you ask. I would guess that it's about like the radioactivity in table salt... It's technically radioactive but it's so low as to be negligible.

The OP will have to decide how much is too much for him and his kid(s)...

Tinfoil hat time: Kids like helping Dad. Dad letting Jr. help with brass prep is a surefire entry to getting kids involved in reloading and shooting... Fear mongering about lead exposure might be a useful tool to "break the cycle" of handing this pastime on.

Like everything else in life... Risk vs Reward.

Mike

Reactions: simonp

This is what I’d read, but I’m not an expert by any means: https://www.reddit.com/r/reloading/s/RVEK2FETdX

Reactions: Baron23
First off, commercial reloading primers have lead styphnate as an active ingredient. That lead will be present in the spent primer, case and rifle bore. If cases are dry tumbled lead will be present in the media and dust. It will be present in the cleaning patches. If cases are wet tumbled lead will be present in the water/cleaning solution. Either way you are dealing with a hazardous material.

You will have to determine how you will limit the exposure to your son. Obviously this will include access to the reloading area and materials, and also in how you dispose of those material.

I dry tumble. I 0lace a 5 gallon bucket on top of tumbler to keep dust down. Turn it of and let it settle. But have you ever gone to the range and inhaled. Ahh the sweet taste of gunpowder in the morning almost as good as coffee extra cream and sugar

I have used both and they work good without using the heater, though they do work better if you do use the heater.

I also am hoping to:
You are going to make an extra step for yourself, just use a universal de-caping die and de prime them first to get the primer pocket clean before you resize the cases or you will have to run them twice through the Ultrasonic to get them clean.

My steps are.....
1. De prime cases with universal de-caping die
2. Run them in the Ultrasonic long enough that they are clean.
3. Wash the cases with Denatured Alcohol to remove the cleaning solution from the cases and let them dry.
4. Size cases and rewash in Denatured Alcohol to remove case lube.

This is how I do it and it has yet cause me any issues.

Reactions: simonp