• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Drying Brass In Oven?

hugo121175

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Near Reading, PA
I was at the range talking to an older gentleman, and he told me after annealing his brass he puts it in the oven at 175 degrees until it dries....

Would this work, or would it continue to soften the brass?

It just sound strange to me...

Re: Drying Brass In Oven?

I won't get into why you don't need to drop brass in water after it's annealed.

But..

I do ultra sonic my brass for cleaning and I have been known to be in a hurry and spread it out on a cooling rack and pop it in the oven for 10 min.

The oven probably never gets over 200 before it turns off. You aren't going to anneal anything at that temperature. Now if you put it in there on 450 and left it for an hour or two then maybe, I'd have to look it up, but sitting in a warm oven isn't going to hurt it.

+1 on NOT quenching brass in water while annealing...

+1 on the oven NOT annealing/hurting anything for an hour @ 150-200°F.

Rinse your brass with alcohol. It dries in less than 10 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rinse your brass with alcohol. It dries in less than 10 minutes. </div></div>
That explains where all my Scotch has been going!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rinse your brass with alcohol. It dries in less than 10 minutes. </div></div>
That explains where all my Scotch has been going!
smile.gif
</div></div>

That made me chuckle.

As the wood stove runs 7+ months a year where I live, I use this setup. I got 2 burner grills from the top of my neighbors old gas range, and set them on the top of the wood stove with an old baking pan on top of them.
Level off as much brass as will sit in a single row, heat and in a few minutes take them off as they will be quite hot. My guess is close to 200 degrees. Let them cool. 2 cycles of this and the brass is usually dry. Cool and right into the tumbler for about an hour. And it's ready to roll.
In the summer I just put the pan out in the sun till dry, then tumble. Home oven works also, door half open and set at 200 but that costs money. The wood stove is already running, so that's my first choice.

I clean my brass in a tumbler with stainless media, water and soap. After rinsing the soap off I drain and spread out on a cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in preheated oven @ 220 degrees for 5 minutes. No harm to the brass and all is very dry.