• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DT SRS A1 first time hand loading results.

john holland

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2023
Savannah, ga
Here’s the results of my first experience loading my own rounds for my desert tech Srs a1. I’m not and expert marksmen just started getting into this long range game over the last few year. Over all I’m pretty happy with these results.. shot was taken on bipod not sled.
18” barrel
1:11 twist rh
Nomad 30 suppressor
Razor gen II 4.5 x 27
Atlas bipod

Load was charted
Imr4064
42gr grad up by .2 to 43.8
168smk
Case mix of black hills and lake city
Coal 2.82
Pretty sure the perfect load was 42.2

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1331.jpeg
    IMG_1331.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: M77
You'll find the desert tech is really easy to load for.
I think your barrel length is incorrect though. An 18" barrel wouldn't stick past a standard length handguard.

Basically any 308 in the world will shoot great with a 168 smk, 42.0-42.5 IMR 4064, .020” off the lands, a CCI 200 primer and decent brass. So you’re in the ballpark

You say “case mix”. Hoping the groups shot are the same brass in each group. Mixing brass within the same test load would likely yield poor results

Reactions: waveslayer
You'll find the desert tech is really easy to load for.
I think your barrel length is incorrect though. An 18" barrel wouldn't stick past a standard length handguard.
Good call.. i remeasured it and indeed came out to be 22”. I dunno why I had 18” in my mind. Thanks.

Basically any 308 in the world will shoot great with a 168 smk, 42.0-42.5 IMR 4064, .020” off the lands, a CCI 200 primer and decent brass. So you’re in the ballpark

You say “case mix”. Hoping the groups shot are the same brass in each group. Mixing brass within the same test load would likely yield poor results
99% were lake city and a few black hills were in there so i had to say mixed.. and i had about 9 CCI primers and the rest were Winchester.. oddly factory 168 amax hornady won’t group out of this rifle at all.. and I didn’t measure off the lands this round. I did load another batch of 175smk same gr powder charge i’ll test that next outing

99% were lake city and a few black hills were in there so i had to say mixed.. and i had about 9 CCI primers and the rest were Winchester.. oddly factory 168 amax hornady won’t group out of this rifle at all.. and I didn’t measure off the lands this round. I did load another batch of 175smk same gr powder charge i’ll test that next outing
Definitely don’t mix casings and primers. Accuracy isn’t going to be there but it’s also unsafe in regards to pressure

Use the same casings, bullets, powder and primers. Only thing you should be changing to begin is your powder charge and distance from lands if needed