• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA Custom Barrel and Extension

Guns4570

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2005
Kansas City MO
I am playing with the idea of having a custom barrel and caliber made for a barrel extention for my SRS. So here is the deal..I want it to be ballistically as identical as the 338 as possible to 1K. So that smacks of 6.5 for me. What do you guys recommend...with a 26" barrel 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem, 260 Rem AI, or 6.5-284? Well we could just go 264 Win Mag I suppose. I was thinking that for what I want to accomplish...the 139 Scenar from a 260 AI would about hit the mark.

Re: DTA Custom Barrel and Extension

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want it to be ballistically as identical as the 338 as possible to 1K. </div></div>

What about a 7wsm?

My SRS isn't even here, but I'm already thinking about getting it setup for .260 remington. What is that going to take, a new extension/bolt custom machined, .308 mags, and a barrel?

You have to have the barrel extension, the adapter for the gunsmith to torque the barrel on to the extention and then another bolt and mags if you don't have a 308 caliber conversion.

Then the barrel of your choice.

BgBmBoo,

Krieger make fine barrels..not problem there..the question was what caliber to get. After realizing I could shoot a 510 Whisp with my 338 bolt face....now that begets the question would that be fun or what? Back to the 6.5 question and our regularly scheduled program.

If it were up to me, and since I know I can fire .260 ammo in a .260 AI, I'd be very interested in the 260 AI chamber. But if you want to go <span style="font-weight: bold">BIG</span> with a 6.5mm, and if you still want to be able to buy ammo in a regular gun shop, I'd build a .264 Winchester Magnum. The bullet selection is outstanding and 6.5mm Krieger barrels are in stock and ready to ship (although overpriced) at MidwayUSA.

Krieger Barrel Blank 264 Caliber, 6.5mm Centerfire #17 Heavy Varmint Contour 1 in 8-1/2" Twist 29" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=133091

Krieger Barrel Blank 264 Caliber, 6.5mm Centerfire #11 Straight 1.250" Blank 1 in 8-1/2" Twist 29" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=533824

Krieger Barrel Blank 264 Caliber, 6.5mm Centerfire #11 Straight 1.250" Blank 1 in 8" Twist 29" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=712162

Krieger Barrel Blank 264 Caliber, 6.5mm Centerfire #9 Heavy Target Contour 1 in 8-1/2" Twist 27" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=573022

Krieger Barrel Blank 264 Caliber, 6.5mm Centerfire #4 Heavy Sporter Contour 1 in 8" Twist 27" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=212264

Ranger nothing wrong with Krieger barrels...nothing at all..thats what DTA put on for both my 338 and 308 caliber conversions.

I am thinking about the 260AI and 264WM idea. I guess I can make brass from 243 Lapua brass.

I like the way you think!

After looking at the specs for .264 Win Mag, I would be inclined to go that route with a nice LONG barrel! Pushing 142 grain SMK's at 3300 fps would be one long range "varmint" hunter!

Personally, I'm going with 6.5 swede for my DTA. Already got the long-action, why not use it? Dies and brass and et all will be a lot easier to find and barrel life should be pretty good.

I have a DTA on order that should be here in a couple of weeks I ordered it at the shot show I conversed with them about different calibers I was told that just any barrel will not work because the DTA rifles have a critical dimension shoulder and requires a special contour.The owner told me to contact Freedom Gunworks.com that he has barrels that are made to their specs if you want to go other than available calibers.I ordered a 260 Rem. barrel with no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeresJohnny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SRS isn't even here, but I'm already thinking about getting it setup for .260 remington. What is that going to take, a new extension/bolt custom machined, .308 mags, and a barrel?

</div></div>

If you ordered a 308?I am sure the mag and the bolt will work with the 260rem. You will need the barrel extension from DTA and a barrel.Go to FreedomGunworks.com on the non standard caliber DTA barrel.

Ellington, I am not here to rain on your parade, but DTA told me yesterday that Freedom Gunworks has not even received a barrel extension from them yet, so I doubt they are barreling and selling non-standard DTA barrels just yet. I will check them out but any gunsmith with the gunsmith kit that DTA is marketing and has a 100# torque wrench and a barrel vise can barrel an extension. GAP will be able to do it or any other of our favorite gun plumbers on the Hide can provide this service for us.

guns 4570 if you will read above I said DTA has the barrel ext.freedom gunworks are going to offer optioal caliber barrels.{dont fret bro you cant rain on my parade} LOL Have a good un!