• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA HTI vs EDM, 375 vs 408 Cheytac, accuracy and..

Extreme454

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2010
Nor-Cal
www.extrememotorsports.biz
I've read through all of the 'snipers hide google search' threads and have still come up with some unanswered questions and concerns regarding my next build.

So before you reply, with something like 'use the search function', .... Please read my questions :)

I've already been down the road to 1500-2000 yards, between 338 lapua, 338 Edge and 300 Hulk, etc.... We had a great thread on here a few years ago, and lots of thanks to Tom Sarver for helping me go in the right direction. But now it's a new game.

I want to engage targets out to 2500 yards, maybe 3000 if my other equipment is up for the job. Mostly steel and rock targets. Possibly North American big game, but more on that later.

After quite a bit of homework, I've decided either 375 or 408 Cheytac. I know the 338's can reach out there, but I'm really thinking in an 'overkill' thought process, with regards to wind bucking and consistency.

Without finalizing the decision of 375 vs 408, it's probably premature to pick the rifle, but I think we can get close, based upon some of my conditions.

Condition 1: Size. We already know we can build a custom rifle with 30" or so barrel, And have consistent accuracy out to 2500 yards, heck, they're becoming quite common. But, along with that, in most cases, they weigh 20lbs plus. Now, I get, the weight kinda needs to be there, for strength and integrity, but adding the weight to an almost 6 foot stick, is just too much for me to lug around, etc... I'm thinking by going to a take down style, like DTA HTI or an EDM, that I will deal with the weight if I can get it in a smaller package.

Condition 2: Accuracy. I hope I don't have to explain this to you guys. But, lets face it, without repeatable, consistent accuracy, what's the point? If these removable barrels change the zero more then 'how much'?, then I'm not interested. I would be frustrated with .5 moa changes. I'm a fairly consistent .5moa shooter, add in the elements, inconsistent reloads, etc... The last thing I need to add to the equation is an inconsistent rifle.

I originally had my sights on an EDM in 408. I love the idea of the take down, the back pack portability and the overall cool factor(feel free to make fun of me here) but, I figure by the time this rifle, optics, accessories, reloading equipment, spotting scope and range finder is all done, I'll be pushing $15k invested. I'm sorry, but I'll need some cool factor to help justify that, lol.

Then, I started doubting the repeat ability of the removable barrel. The last thing I want is to go out to my favorite ELR spot, and engage on the same rock that I hit every week at 2000 yards, and be off an moa!!! Way too frustrating for me to think about...

So, I started considering the DTA HTI, as of now, only available in 375, but soon will be available in 408. This package would allow me to have my 'Condition 1:Size' , and really, since its a pullpup design, I could probably get away with not taking it down, ever, which may not effect my Condition 2. So I'd still have a smaller set up, and more portable then fixed long guns, with my concerns of repeat ability addressed by never taking it down.

It's hard to ignore the take down capability of the EDM, but if there's anyone out there that has experienced loss of zero from barrel swap, please reply!!

The HTI does seem tougher, like it can be dropped in the desert, picked back up, and continue the battle.

Please don't hesitate to chime in. Any help, and in any point of view, even semi off topic or different ideas, I am all ears!

Mostly I'd like to hear from owner/shooters with real world experience. I'm all ears for opinions and speculation, but any end users out there that can help steer a fellow shooter in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Re: DTA HTI vs EDM, 375 vs 408 Cheytac, accuracy and..

Lawton 8500, 30 in. Bartlein Sendero taper, March 3-24, Mcmillian A3-5, around 14 lbs and 52 inches long. Sub-hallf accuracy with the CE bullets. Velocity around 2900 BC in the .9s

This is what two of my rifles are doing. Results have been duplicated by another individual with a different rifle.

You do not have to have a 20 lb rifle for the 375 Chey. The 14 lb rifle is not unpleasant to shoot and certainly would be OK for a hunting rifle.

I have noticed no change in POI with my Windrunner. I am a little partial to them but the .375 is the way to go. I will give you one additional EDM upside. You can switch calibers. So you could use the same high end scope and have multi calibers with just a switch of the barrel and bolt. MUCH cheaper than a whole different rifle, scope, etc. combo. Windrunners have come down a bunch in price since I bought mine also.

Really? That's good to know. So you have found consistency in switching out the barrel, and follow up cold bore shots, even weeks later, for example?

I'm not sure I'd ever entertain the multi caliber option. For me, I like to get to know my ballistics, loads and development, my optics and even start memorizing my shots, distance and adjustments. Adding in another caliber just seems to confuse/complicate it for me. But, you are correct, the option is there.

In my opinion, the HTI where the Desert Tactical shines.

The rifles do exactly what is advertised which is rare in a new offering (at least as new as DT is) but they get results.

When you move from the shorter action calibers into the HTI offerings you are looking at a place where a bullpup excels. I would not hesitate to recommend a Desert Tactical especially for ELR or XLR work in the HTI. It's a different mindset in many ways, and it just lends itself to what the DT HTI offers.

Caveat emptor.

I am sure that the Windrunner has its defenders, but the linked thread following did not give me the warm fuzzies about either the inherent design stability, strength, or the customer service for the Windrunner:

EDM Windrunner = POS

On the other hand, I do not yet own an HTI, BUT my DTA SRS is so incredible (0.22-0.25moa off the bench with the best factory ammo) with NO shift of zero between .308/.338LM barrel changes and DTA Customer Service is so responsive, I know what my Christmas present will be (after the SHOT Show reveals any upgrades to the HTI). DTA's steady innovations (like the recent modular bolt upgrade) demonstrate that they are listening to their customers.

Hands down HTI!

Wow, as much as I would love a landslide decision, because it would simply make the decision easy, and I'd order up the HTI on Monday, and hopefully have a range report within weeks. I was hoping for a little more debate and drama, lol, just kidding.

So, that being said, would y'all wait out for the HTI in 408? Or get the 375? Don't say both! :)

Well hold on there, buddy. Don't write off the Windrunner just yet! I have both an EDM Windrunner and a DTA SRS in 308win (I know it's not an HTI but it seems the ergonomics and all that are pert-nigh identical).

From an ergonomics point of view, both are very easy to get behind in my opinion. Even without the adjustable cheekrest (for either of my rifles) I have no issue with sight picture. Grips and triggers are also very nice one-stage at about 3lbs. The rear monopods for both are ALSO extremely good and stable. I have used some that aren't, but these are rock solid!

The main difference in ergonomics between the two is getting used to the bolt manipulation. It feels completely different between the two rifles and with my DTA it has taken a lot of dry fire practice when I throw the bolt to really feel comfortable.

Both companies are top notch and stand behind their products. I am sure DTA has had issues just as EDM has. As I am also sure that EDM and DTA both have taken care of their customers to the best of their abilities.

I do have a huge man-crush on Bill Ritchie and EDM. I absolutely love my rifle and have had no accuracy or shift issues with taking the barrel on/off. Plus it has a huge "what the hell is THAT?" factor at the range, haha. That being said, I would recommend the HTI over the Windrunner based on the ability to shoot the 375CT.

From what I've read in the ELR debate, the 375CT beats the 408CT as it has higher BC bullets being offered right now. That will give you the best chance to meet your goals for long range accuracy.

I would also suggest giving up thinking about the 408CT as an additional barrel assembly. Really once you have the 375 you have a superior cartridge to the 408 and while the 408 may deliver a bit more energy at distance, it doesn't add anything beyond that to my knowledge. All you'll be doing is spending ANOTHER arm and leg on reloading components, haha.

So to sum up, I would recommend the HTI over the EDM as I believe the 375CT cartridge to be superior to the 408CT which is not offered by EDM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lawton 8500, </div></div>

Are you talking used? I thought Lawton was gone...or are you talking about the Overwatch action from Barker?

Leaning towards HTI and 375. Doing non stop homework as we type , for accessories, reloading equipment, range finder, spotting scope, etc...

But, still need more input, keep it coming. Also, if anyone wants to throw out what equip they are using for 2500 yard shots, that would help too.

There's no reason to chose .408 over .375 - the latter outperforms in every area (supersonic range, bullet choices, etc).

Take a look at Barker Machine Works Rifles. John can build you what you want in the weight and stock you like. I am shoot a 16lb 375 CT that shoots 1/2 moa. John is going to make one that is under 16 lbs for hunters. With a 25 inch barrel we only lost 50 fps as compaired to a 30 inch barrel. With his brake design, I can shoot it all day long and not feel it. It has the recoil of a 30-06.
You can contact him at barkermachineworks.com, or call him at )406)961-6818

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will give you one additional EDM upside. You can switch calibers. So you could use the same high end scope and have multi calibers with just a switch of the barrel and bolt.</div></div>
Very good point Danny, but you do know that the HTI has the same upside right? switch out from .375 to .416 to.50bmg, ect,ect.

Danguy, I was describing the rifle I have. The only way to get an 8500 would be to find someone that wanted to sell theirs. There are other actions that could be substituted. I think the 8500 is 1.450

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will give you one additional EDM upside. You can switch calibers. So you could use the same high end scope and have multi calibers with just a switch of the barrel and bolt.</div></div>
Very good point Danny, but you do know that the HTI has the same upside right? switch out from .375 to .416 to.50bmg, ect,ect.</div></div>
Had a completely different rifle in my head. Given price and flexibility DTA would be the way to go. EDM does not have the .375 barrels (yet?).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDM does not have the .375 barrels (yet?). </div></div>

Unfortunately, Bill Ritchie has been very resistant to doing a .375CT conversion for a long time (as far back as 2006 and as recently as last year).

Check out the last page of the Official DTA Thread. There is a guy named Russ who seems to have significant experiance with the DTA in both .375 and .50 cal. He posted recently and said anyone interested could contact him direct. I personally asked him to publish his info here on the forum for everyone to read. Best of luck.

I have no experience in this area, but I want an HTI .50 bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Danguy, I was describing the rifle I have. The only way to get an 8500 would be to find someone that wanted to sell theirs. There are other actions that could be substituted. I think the 8500 is 1.450 </div></div>

Ah, thanks, my bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the last page of the Official DTA Thread. There is a guy named Russ who seems to have significant experiance with the DTA in both .375 and .50 cal. He posted recently and said anyone interested could contact him direct. I personally asked him to publish his info here on the forum for everyone to read. Best of luck.

I have no experience in this area, but I want an HTI .50 bad. </div></div>

Russ has done R&D for DTA on the HTI FWIW LOL. He now runs their ammunition division.

Let me know if you have trouble getting hold of him and I'll hook you up.

why would'nt edm come out with a .375.. ?? I think that would be a nice setup..

You, me and quite a lot of people, but for some reason Bill's been resistant. The .375 variant didn't really start to gain recognition until about 2005. Back then it wasn't technically a "cheytac" but instead referred to as a .375/408 wildcat. Even Cheytac didn't start officially doing a .375 chambered rifle until about 2010. It could have been that for many years he didn't see it taking off, but nowadays there's not really a good excuse to chose .408 over .375, so I'm still scratching my head.

Did any of you ever ask Bill if he would chamber one up? When I asked him a few years back I had to supply the barrel, reamers and and gauges and he would chamber it. He probably just doesn't want to invest in the barrels and reamers.

I didn't directly ask, and or receive a yes. But he has done them, and seemed like he would again. Obviously you can tell, he's back logged, doing what he already does, and adding one offs, to the list of to do's isn't his favorite thing to do. But, I'm sure he would.

Plus, EDM, is offering 80% complete lowers, which for us CA folk, gives us a way to keep our firearms, when you know who gets re-elcted, and tries to take them away. This alone, makes for a strong argument for the edm set up.

I guess one of my last reservations with edm, is the balance and the bipod. I've heard several guys complain that the 'Cheytac' fore guard and bipod is necessary to balance them out nice, but that kills the quick take down capabilities, which is a huge part of the attraction for me. I suppose just being careful to not bump your rifle, and drop your muzzle in the dirt, is just easier?

Any thoughts?

As far as .375CT vs .408CT in our conditions with the ammo we are loading the 375CT stays supersonic to 2950 and the 408CT is supersonic to 2200-2300 yards. The .375CT is much better than the .408CT. Cheytac developed their 408 first and spent a ton of marketing money on it and their crew developed the 375 because they wanted something even better but they never marketed it because they had already pushed the 408 so hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as .375CT vs .408CT in our conditions with the ammo we are loading the 375CT stays supersonic to 2950 and the 408CT is supersonic to 2200-2300 yards. The .375CT is much better than the .408CT. Cheytac developed their 408 first and spent a ton of marketing money on it and their crew developed the 375 because they wanted something even better but they never marketed it because they had already pushed the 408 so hard.

</div></div>

Some good advise on the history and what cal to choose
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did any of you ever ask Bill if he would chamber one up? When I asked him a few years back I had to supply the barrel, reamers and and gauges and he would chamber it. He probably just doesn't want to invest in the barrels and reamers. </div></div>

I asked when I initially looked into an XM04 back in 2006 and again when I bought one in 2007. The answer was "no."

Last week I posted some harsh words about my EDM experience. I sent the rifle back and received it back today in less than one week, fully repaired and functioning with butt stock upgrades and a hard case thrown in by Bill Richie just to "make it right". I can honestly say I had just retuned back from a grueling training evolution, with a way bad attitude for dealing with a broken rifle. Not very professional on my behalf and for that I offer my public apology to EDM. Mind you I never had a cross word for Bill Richie as he is a consumate expert in the field of long range shooting and rifle production, as he does employ other people to do some of the building for him, as very few guys at a large production level business do all the work themselves all of the time. There are design changes that have come down the pike with the EDM rifles and they are getting better with age. As far as a side by side comparison of the EDM .338 Windrunner and the DTA .338 SRS, I offer my own observations and opinions: The EDM Feddersen barrel is twice to three times heavier than the Lothar Walther manufactured barrel. The bolt on the EDM is built for .50 cal pressures in every caliber, the DTA .338 SRS has a bolt that has similar dimensions to my Winchester Model 70 as far as overall mass of the bolt and material. The SRS is clearly a lighter weapons system weighting in at 15+ pounds, the EDM weights around 30 pounds with scope, suppressor, etc . The bull pup stock design on the DTA has a open slot on the top of the butt stock that would allow dirt and debris in the bolt channel during a rough stalk in sand or mud. If a drag bag was being utilized this feature would be negated. It feels foreign to bring the bolt knob back by my ear when chambering a round, but I am certain a trained marksman could develop good technique after shooting the weapon on a repeated basis. Further, the DTA butt stock must be removed to remove the bolt from the receiver. The EDM bolt can be removed from the receiver by extending the butt stock and drawing it to the rear and pulling the bolt release, much like a traditional bolt gun. The supplied EDM scope rings made by NightForce use a 1/2 inch cross bolt torqued to 75 lbs pounds, the DTA scope base uses two 3/8 hex head screws to mount the base to the rifle, I do not know the torque spec. The DTA has a medium weight skin available in different colors, with picatinny rails standard equipment to mount various bipods and NVD's. The 3/4 x 24 Lothar Walther barrel thread will accept a DTA suppressor as well as litany of different cans on the market. The EDM has no forearm or stock, just a black receiver with picatinny scope mount, barrel and lock nut, and collapsable butt stock. An optional hand guard/bipod system is available from EDM or Elite Iron. My main point here being the EDM is a massive, heavy duty, possibly over built, rock solid piece of steel and aluminum. The DTA rifles are lighter, and appear to be designed with overall weight and portability as a major design feature. I my opinion, the DTA rifles are better suited for a shooter on the move, better suited for mounting on a Alamo 4 Star tripod, and have a short version barrel available for quick caliber changes. The EDM has the caliber change feature, but does not offer a short urban/LE barrel. The EDM is a good choice for fixed position shooting, or can be broken down and carried in a soft case, albeit not for the faint of heart. It is a beast to lug around on an extended op. As far as loss of zero, we have not experienced any shift in POI having removed the barrel on the EDM after every shooting evolution, and have not experienced any point of aim shift with a timed suppressor. It shoots 1/2 MOA in single shot mode and under 1 MOA with extended firing strings. We have not T/E'd the DTA with a suppressor and have not removed the barrel and reattached to check POI so I am not qualified to comment on the performance. The EDM .338 has less felt recoil due the the overall weight, the DTA .338 more so due to the lighter weight of the rifle. Either way you go, you will have a very good heavy rifle, or a very good light rifle, both made in Utah by good people who take shooting very seriously. Love always, SFC RKM 18FW9S6.

The paragraph is your friend.

Photo of 100 yard target shooting EDM .338 Windrunner with Elite Iron Sierra suppressor . Shot 1 was cold bore zero. Barrel removed and re-attached after every shot (takes only seconds to do so), 5 shots total. 6-8 minutes rest between shots. Enough said.
P1010222-1.jpg

Photo of 100 yard target 5 shot rapid fire, fast as I could chamber and aim (less than one minute).
P1010223-1.jpg

These are the replies that keep me confused. I mean that as a compliment. :)

Both systems seem they would serve me well, but deciding is not easy. Spending this kind of cash in today's market, seems silly in the first place, and for a rifle, that serves very Lil purpose, makes it even sillier.

When I am paying for the ammo it feels like sending hamburgers and 6 packs of beer down range every time I pull the trigger. When I am putting the cross hairs on the enemies of the USA, it feels like payback. And that feels pretty damn good. p.s. I used the new Hornady ballistic tables at 300 yards and they were spot on. Headed over to Dugway Proving Grounds this weekend for a train up to put the beast through some real yardage.

Kilmore,
Your numbers on the HTI are not accurate sir, the weight is 20 lbs and all of the bolts made for the HTI are 50 BMG sized and can easily take 50 BMG pressures, perhaps you are confusing the rifle with our SRS .338LM. We also make nearly every part of the HTI in our own factory.
smile.gif

Mr.Young, it is entirely possible the weapon I handled was a .338 SRS and not a .408 HTI. I did not have the rifle specs at hand to read the actual numbers, hence my 15+ pound estimate in my posting. What is the weight of a DTA .338? Was I close? The EDM .338 is listed at 22 lbs but weights in far heavier with scope, suppressor, loaded magazine, hand guard, bipod, etc. My EDM .338 tips the scale at well over 30 pounds. Pros and cons. Nothing in my posting was meant to disparage, merely my own observations as I stated. I am not an expert in either weapons system, but a guy that has shot both rifles and bought my rifle based on my own preferences. I feel the last sentence in my posting serves both masters.

No problems. The SRS 338LM is 15 lbs all done up (scope,bipod,rings,sling,etc). Didn't notice your in Utah until just now, so are we. Great state to shoot extreme distance.

What is the chassis length of the HTI chassis? without the barrel in it. For example, the Covert is 26" overall roughly. How long is the HTI. If I decide on 375CT, I see that the barrel is 29", just trying to get overall dimensions disassembled.

Overall length is about 45" according to DTA with the barrel installed.

Lots of specs here on the page:

DTA HTI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracer213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overall length is about 45" according to DTA with the barrel installed.

Lots of specs here on the page:

DTA HTI </div></div>

I think at this point, I have every detail on that page memorized. Just to be clear, so someone else can help, Does anyone know the length of the chassis without the barrel installed? I don't think this spec is on the DTA website.

Did a quick little mockup.

dr5deg.png

Looks like it should be 35"

Confirmation would be good.

Mr. Young, on a side note, I called DTI last year to offer classes at your shooting school in Combat Tracking taught by myself and David Scott-Donelan, the worlds greatest living tracking instructor. He is retired from the Rhodesian Selous Scouts and the SAS with 35 years of hard service. I have 25 years plus in the sf and spec ops. You were unavailable and we did not hear back. Win a few, lose most. All the best, Kilmore.
546620_10150746088391722_677106721_9769826_2140715349_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracer213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did a quick little mockup.

dr5deg.png

Looks like it should be 35"

Confirmation would be good.

</div></div>

This is exactly what I was lookin for, and yes.... Confirmation would be great :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are the replies that keep me confused. I mean that as a compliment. :)

Both systems seem they would serve me well, but deciding is not easy. Spending this kind of cash in today's market, seems silly in the first place, and for a rifle, that serves very Lil purpose, makes it even sillier.
</div></div>
Either way you go you will be happy. Just jump in the water and give it a minute. You will be fine.