• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS 26" Barrel .308

RedGoat

3.14=PI.E
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Just picked up a SRS with a 26" .308 conversion kit and I'm trying to decide if I should have it cut down to 22". I plan on getting a 28" 7mm and 26" 260 conversion kits in the future. I figured I should have at least one of my barrels at 22", and the .308 is the best candidate for it. Anyone think having the 26" .308 barrel cut down is a bad idea?

Keep your powder dry,
Goat

Re: DTA SRS 26" Barrel .308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anyone think having the 26" .308 barrel cut down is a bad idea? </div></div>

I would do it. The only thing you will lose is a little velocity.

I would cut it down. You're not going to lose much velocity at all. My buddy's 20" Kreiger still gets 2600 fps with FGMM which is why I'm going with a 20" on my current build. He's only losing around 50 fps second which is worth it for a handier rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would also cut it down to 22" or even 20"</div></div>

22" is the shortest I can go with the SRS, that puts the muzzle brake just past the hand guard. The SRS Covert can go down to a 16" barrel.

And as for a handier rifle with a 22" barrel it will put the rifles OAL @ 34" -- from butt pad to muzzle brake. A Surgeon Scalpel with 22" barrel in a McMillan A1-3 stock is 41.5". I'd call that handy.

Keep your powder dry,
Goat

Hi Goat,

can I ask if the barrel is new? What made you buy the 26" over the 22".

Regards

Ewen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ewen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Goat,

can I ask if the barrel is new? What made you buy the 26" over the 22".

Regards

Ewen</div></div>

I picked up the SRS used with the 26" .308 barrel.

Keep your powder dry,
Goat

Ah ok,
I was going to offer a trade for you. Have you spoken to Georg at Waffen Holthaus, why not just buy a second 22" barrel?

Regards

Ewen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ewen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah ok,
I was going to offer a trade for you. Have you spoken to Georg at Waffen Holthaus, why not just buy a second 22" barrel?

Regards

Ewen</div></div>

Don't have the money for two .308 barrels, still trying to get a 7mm conversion kit. And no haven't spoken with Georg I don't deal with any locals here since owning a firearm in Germany as an American Military member isn't very convenient. I bought the SRS since I'm on my way back to Tx in the coming months.

Keep your powder dry,
Goat

Contrary to what most everybody here said, I would <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> cut down the barrel. The rifle is pretty compact and well-balanced as is with 26" barrel. What are you hoping to accomplish by shortening the barrel? What capabilities would it offer losing 4" that you don't have now? <span style="font-style: italic">You won't be able to carry it in a pant leg anyways
smile.gif
.</span>