• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS 6.5x284 with pics

RemingtonSPS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA
I got my green on green DTA in about a week from the time of order. I went through Bobby at Freedom Gunworks. To say that Bobby was a big help would be a HUGE understatement! Bobby was a super nice guy to deal with and is very knowledgable on the DTA systems. I would recommend him to anybody. I chose to chamber it in 6.5x284 to start. Benchmark Barrels did all the Gunsmithing. I used there barrel too, of course. So here is my take on the DTA. Let me preface this with saying overall i love this setup and would not trade it for any other rifle. In the interest of being objective, i am going to report with 100% honesty on MY opinion of the DTA. Positives and negatives.

<span style="font-weight: bold">THE CHASSIS SYSTEM</span>

The balance of this rifle is perfect! Yes perfect, not good or great, PERFECT. The rifle's center of gravity is illustrated in the picture below with a red arrow.

DTAbalance.jpg

I Used a 28" Benchmark Barrel, 3-groove 1-8" twist. Went with 8 flutes. The contour has to be to DTA's specs which is roughly 1.250" for the first 4.5" so there is not much weight savings. I chose to base it off the Medium Palma contour. The rifle is .750" at the muzzle.

DTA gives approximate weights for their rifles of 9.4lbs for the .308win, and 11.6lbs for the .338Lapua. I weighed the chassis, barrel extension, scope base, .308 bolt, and an empty 300win magazine and came up with 8lbs 3oz. Now with a barrel that starts out 1.250" for the first 4.5" it's going to weigh alot more than 9.4lbs or even 11.6lbs. When i put the complete rifle on the scales (minus the scope) it weighed in at <span style="font-weight: bold">13lbs 8oz</span>. So with a 2lb scope and 1lb bipod your looking at AWSM weights. I estimate that my rifle with the USO on it will weigh about 15.5lbs. That being said a guy at the range picked it up with the scope on it and said: "this weighs what? 8 or 9lbs?". He was shocked when i told him about 14lbs. It feels lighter than it is. It is the best balanced rifle i have yet to pick up which is probably why it feels so light.

The Plastic work on the chassis is about as good as it gets for molded plastic. I would give it a slight edge over the AICS as far as fit and finish. For example the seams did not have sharp burs on them and everything seems to line up nicely.

The action is Phenominal. The bolt kind of suprises you when you close it, it's almost as if it closes itself. The bolt manipulation only took about 20rnds to get used to. I didn't even notice it shooting today because i had gotten so used to it.

I did not like the magazine release. In theory it looked good, being able to use your weak hand while supporting the rear of the rifle to release the mag. However I found that i kept fishing for where the mag release was. I'm sure that with further training this will go away but it was a minor annoyance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">THE TRIGGER</span>

I am used to Jewell triggers. Zero creep, light, no overtravel. In my opinion they are the perfect trigger. Using the trigger on the DTA took some getting used to. After a little tuning there was no creep at all. The trigger broke sharply and consistently around 1.5lbs. The overtravel took some getting used to but let me explain why. Jewell's do not budge after you pull the trigger, i got used to that. When a factory Remington trigger has creep it is sloppy side to side and after the trigger breaks there is no tension on the trigger. I would describe the DTA trigger as more of a 2 stage match trigger where the first stage has no creep and breaks at about 1.5lbs and the second stage is the overtravel which feels like it has slight resistance to it. It took some getting used to but i think i am beginning to prefer the DTA trigger setup a little over the Jewell for the nice 'follow through' feel. Also the DTA trigger is fully adjustable from the trigger gaurd. No taking it apart. The coolest thing about the trigger is that you can adjust it's position in the trigger gaurd. I set mine all the way forward so that only the tip of your trigger finger touches the bottom shoe of the trigger. It is very nice.

<span style="font-weight: bold">ACCURACY</span>

I was able to load at the range and i got a nice load figured out. On shot 3 i noticed through the spotting scope that my first 3 shots were in the same hole. Like a jackass i got nervous and pulled the 4th shot a little high and right. After some swearing and settling down, shot 5 went back into the first 3 shot group. Overall the gross CTC group was .276" for 5 shots, but the 4 'perfect' shots measured .117". I was nervous when i invested in this rifle because i had not seen a single 1/4moa group in pictures on the forums. The best i could find was 2 back to back 5 shot 3/8moa groups. I didn't know if i would get the accuracy i was after. Needless to say i am not worried anymore!

DTA.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">CONCLUSION</span>

I plan on doing further load testing with H4350 and 140 Bergers. I think this rifle is capable of consistent 1/4moa groups. I had not shot a rifle in about 1 month before today because i had to sell them all to fund this one! I am very happy with it. It is a little heavier than anticipated but everything else more than makes up for it. I plan on shooting it in F-class, Tactical matches, and Hunting.

.338Lapua Improved coming soon....spitting lathed turned solids
grin.gif

I will post more groups and pictures when my USO shows up in FEB.

Re: DTA SRS 6.5x284 with pics

My only concern is if you need to come up off the rifle to run the bolt during rapid fire.

How much does a custom barrel run you? Would they need the gun or if I wanted to order a custom barrel could I just call, place order and wait?

I'd love to have one of these in 260/6.5 creed and be able to switch to and from 338 Lapua.

The barrel extension from DTA is $400. The complete barrel threaded, chambered, and headspaced costs $600. I think he would need your bolt and barrel extension to thread and headspace it. Its a 6wk turn around. Their barrels are world class.

do you have any pictures of the the loaded 6.5x284 cartridges in the magazines the DTA uses? What is the max cartridge length that you can use in one of those mags?

That looks like one heck of a nice rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What cartridge did you go with?</div></div>

I have a 243 and 6.5 creedmoor, both are Krieger Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only concern is if you need to come up off the rifle to run the bolt during rapid fire. </div></div>

+1 never shot one however only seen guys up and down on the bolt cycle

very nice rig !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you have any pictures of the the loaded 6.5x284 cartridges in the magazines the DTA uses? What is the max cartridge length that you can use in one of those mags?

That looks like one heck of a nice rifle!
</div></div>

I will take some pictures when I get home from work.

The benchmarks are button rifled. They can do cut rifling but they prefer button. After shooting their barrels for the last couple years and comparing them with the other barrels I've shot with, I trust them. I would say their top quality. As good a barrel as is made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only concern is if you need to come up off the rifle to run the bolt during rapid fire. </div></div>

+1 never shot one however only seen guys up and down on the bolt cycle

very nice rig !! </div></div>

Maybe he can do a video of some rapid fire bolt manipulation.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4N8gN3Z-_I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4N8gN3Z-_I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4N8gN3Z-_I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4N8gN3Z-_I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

Hey how about a group buy for various bits of your gear
smile.gif
I need some stuff from you guys to complete my kit load out for my SRS.

Me too!

One thing about feeding the 6.5x284. The magazines use a shoulder retention feature. Its kind of like headspacing the cartridge to the magazine. Bobby at Freedom Gunworks puts a spacer in the back of his magazines and cuts the mag follower to fit whatever round he is using. I have noticed with the 6.5x284 that every once in a while the round goes in a little sticky. Bobby does not have that problem with his 7wsm. I plan on modifying my mag like his.

Great shooting Jesse. I am the guy that had the copper fouling issues. I have been shooting my 338 LM since the 300 wm barrel seems to be having problems. (I am sending it back this week.) The 338 is a laser beam. With my poor shooting skills, I easily shot two 5 shot groups at 200 yrds under 5/8 moa. This was while I was cleaning every 2 rounds and shooting fairly quickly. This weekend I shot a 3/8" group at 100 yrds, again without really taking my time. (I also shot a doe this weekend with it.)
Thanks again for your advice.

BTW- I agree with most of your comments about the system. It is heavy, but it does handle like a lighter gun. This has to be due to the center of gravity being closer to the shooter.

One issue that you didn't address is the recoil. I think that you will be really surprised by the small kick when you shoot the 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked mine up from my dealer and it is hands down the sweetest gun I have owned! More to come after I get to the range this week.</div></div>

What ever Adam, you're as bad as me, it'll be for sale within 6 months.
smile.gif

Man I don't know Jason, you and Adam are neck and neck.

I really like the SRS, as soon as LC gets back South I'm hoping to get to shoot it.

Hopefully! With the first 4.5" being 1.250" there is only so much you can do. I was going to keep the barrel short too. We'll see.