• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS and Lefties

markspring1978

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2009
Central Montana
Any lefties out there shooting or know of a southpaw shooting the SRS? Seems like it would be impossible but I've heard of guys "just lifting their head up to cycle rounds".

Man, I hate being left-handed...

Re: DTA SRS and Lefties

I have shot it left hand a bunch it is fine. You do have to lift your head when cycling the bolt.

It does look like that bolt handle is dying to bloody the left handed nose.

I imagine a left handed version is out of the question...

RWoodall: Do you primarily shoot the SRS left-handed or right handed? Also, I'm thinking about trying to switch to becoming a right-handed shooter. Is this unrealistic? Am I delusional?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RWoodall: Do you primarily shoot the SRS left-handed or right handed? Also, I'm thinking about trying to switch to becoming a right-handed shooter. Is this unrealistic? Am I delusional? </div></div>

Which eye is dominant?

In this game you should be able to shoot <span style="font-weight: bold">BOTH</span> sides.

Left eye dominant. My understanding however is that whichever eye is looking down the tube becomes your dominant eye. Feels a little awkward from the right side because I'm not used to it. Would like to hear from some guys who switched from the left to right side...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RWoodall: Do you primarily shoot the SRS left-handed or right handed? Also, I'm thinking about trying to switch to becoming a right-handed shooter. Is this unrealistic? Am I delusional? </div></div>

If you look at the photos of Roy shooting you will see that they are indicating that he is right handed. That being said I have had the opportunity to shoot with him and he drives well both strong and support side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Left eye dominant. My understanding however is that whichever eye is looking down the tube becomes your dominant eye. Feels a little awkward from the right side because I'm not used to it. Would like to hear from some guys who switched from the left to right side... </div></div>

Based on that it would seem reasonable to shoot left handed. I happen to be cross-eye dominant (left eye). I work on shooting both sides (I know any comp or class I will be expected to do so).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding however is that whichever eye is looking down the tube becomes your dominant eye.</div></div>

Nope. Your dominant eye is set at birth.

However, you can train your eyes and your brain. I'm right eye dominant, and I do all my shooting with both eyes open, which took some training to get used to.

I also often spend several hours per day behind a spotting scope during classes, and having both eyes open greatly eases eye strain, as does the ability to spot with either eye. I have fewer "floaters" in my left eye, so I use that most of the time.

So far one person who has shot this rifle left-handed. Anyone else? How about any right handed shooters shooting it from the support side?

Hey Diesile I was just teasing you about being retarded...hahaha
grin.gif
I could just see someone cycling the bolt into their own face injuring themselves.

That reminds me of a guy years ago who pulls a pistol grip shotgun out of his rifle case. He held the gun up in front of his face pointing it at a target. Before anyone could say anything he pulled the trigger and the gun came back and hit him in the teeth. His two front teeth were knocked loose and were bleeding. I dont know what left a deeper impression on him,a big fat lip and sore bleeding teeth or everyone laughing at him.

The SRS is new technology and requires an open mind and some retraining to master. From my experience about 10 minutes running the bolt and learning to reach back instead of forward for the magazine is all the is needed to operate the gun for normal range use.

I have shot the rifle left handed many times but you probably want to here it from someone who is independent from DTA.
smile.gif

Is it annoying that you have to lift your head while shooting left handed, probably, but most lift their heads between shots anyhow. I would say that it would take 2-3 three times longer learning to cycle the bolt left handed than it will right handed, not hard but will take some practice to get good at it.

I've shot it to 800 on steel from the support side. if you build your position properly, the rifle stays on target even when you lift your head to run the bolt. A Harris or other bipod with tension aids in this.

Anyone anywhere near Western Montana who has one of these? I am quite interested in this rifle. I've had some PMs from people telling me that left handed shooting of this stick isn't a bowl of cherries or as comfortable as some make it sound. I'd be nice to feel it first hand...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markspring1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone anywhere near Western Montana who has one of these? I am quite interested in this rifle. I've had some PMs from people telling me that left handed shooting of this stick isn't a bowl of cherries or as comfortable as some make it sound. I'd be nice to feel it first hand... </div></div>

Your not all that far from SLC, UT. atleast if your anywhere near Evenstan, WY. You could come out here and check them out.