• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS First Impression My .02

Tucsondave

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Well I bought a slightly used DTA SRS from a hide member. It came with the .308 22" Barrel and a 26" .243 Barrel. I got with Ethan from DTA and ordered a .338 Kit as well as a 26" .308 Barrel. DTA has excellent customer service.Also added a 40moa/34mm DTA mount for my S&B 5x25x56 PMII Scope. I sent the .308 and .338 barrels off to be trhreaded to match the .338 can I already have. While waiting for the barrels to return I went out and sighted the scope in with the 22" .308 barrel. I find it a little harder to get a comfortable cheek weld and still have a good clear sight picture than with my AI. I attribute that to the flat comb of the stock. After adjusting my cheek weld to the different comb,I was able to feel more at home behind the DTA. After getting the scope zeroed,I shot some groups and this was the result. 168gr SMK @100Yrds,22" .308 Barrel,Atlas Bipod.I'm gonna try some 175's and see if there is much difference. Very Little recoil for such a light rifle even with the shorter barrel. IMHO,with the 26" barrel and my AWC Thundertrap,it will be a great shooter. Way better than me for sure. I liked the trigger as well. Can't really tell from the trigger that this is a bull pup design. When ejecting shells,unless you are firm on extraction,the shell will land in the bolt valley and you need to flip it out with your finger. Changing barrels is unbelievably simple and quick.Overall,a great chassis and rig. Just my .02
dtatrgt.jpg
003ft.jpg
006gc.jpg

Re: DTA SRS First Impression My .02

Congrats on you new SRS. You made some references to AI. How would you compare the rifles - Pros/Cons.

I would really like to buy one of these rifles but I just cant get over the looks of the thing. I was thinking of getting a 338LM but I dont think it will do anything diffrent than what I have now. I have talked to DTA about it and I have read everything people are saying about them, so it does look like a vialble platform that serves a purpose for a 1 platform multiple caliber design. I would also like to know the pros and cons of this against the AW sysytem

Rich

I'm no pro shooter,so my opinion is just that,my opinion. The Ai is significantly heavier,but they seem to have about the same recoil. The action on the SRS is as smooth as my AI. Again,the biggest difference is the cheek weld. I'm gonna wait til I have the can on the 26" Barrel in .308 and .338 to make a side by side comparison with a AIAW in .308 and .338 and bring another person with so we can get another opinion as well.

My DTA set up with the 22" .308 shot about like that as well with 168 A-Max. I want to try some different loads to tighten things up. The .338, on the other hand, shooting 300 SMK's put 3 shots in one ragged hole for me, and 3 shots in a slightly more ragged hole after my brother got done. I must have just stumbled upon an accuracy node since I just took a load that worked well in my other 338 Lapuas. I'm curious to see how it does with hotter loads. You will enjoy the 338. I found it balanced better. The 308 seemed to have a little barrel hop to me. The 338 is just solid! I probably need to shift my bipod back a little more for the 308. Good luck with your new rifle. I really enjoyed mine the one time I got out to shoot it. Hopefully I can get some more time behind it this weekend with some different loads.

I shot the DTA 338 at SHOT and fell in love with it. Saving my pennies...

Dave, how does the trigger pull compared to the AI trigger? Is it a two stage trigger?

I am interested to see the difference in groups in the .308 in reference to the 22" barrel and the 26" barrel. I am saving for one of these and I think I would want the 26" barrel for the .308.. When you get the 26" barrel .308 let us know how you like it compared to the 22" barrel. Also, have you shot the .243 barrel yet? Groups?

Thanks Dave. I'll have mine in 308 22" this coming week (provided the moon and stars align correctly). I struggled with the 22" v. 26" 308 barrel. I will be interested to see if there is any appreciable difference. Personally, I got the 22" b/c I like this platform for its compactness. Within 800 yds, I think the 22" should work just fine and if I want to go out further, then I would have the 338 to go to.

I appreciate the write up Dave, and am looking forward to the other reports.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, how does the trigger pull compared to the AI trigger? Is it a two stage trigger?
</div></div>

I haven't messed with the trigger,yet.It is very adjustable,all from the bottom of the trigger guard. As it came,its single stage and breaks cleanly. I'd like to put a little take up into it for my own comfort.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drakeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested to see the difference in groups in the .308 in reference to the 22" barrel and the 26" barrel. I am saving for one of these and I think I would want the 26" barrel for the .308.. When you get the 26" barrel .308 let us know how you like it compared to the 22" barrel. Also, have you shot the .243 barrel yet? Groups? </div></div>

I will.I haven't yet shot the .243 set up.

The DTA is an awesome platform for what they designed it for (a multi-caliber sniper weapon). I enjoyed shooting mine. I wish i would have done the .338 Lapua before selling it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Little recoil for such a light rifle even with the shorter barrel.</div></div>
Have you weighed the rifle dry without optics? I wouldn't call it light (maybe compared to a AI). It does balance really well and that makes it feel lighter than it is even though it's in the neighborhood of 12lbs dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Addicted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Dave. I'll have mine in 308 22" this coming week (provided the moon and stars align correctly). I struggled with the 22" v. 26" 308 barrel. I will be interested to see if there is any appreciable difference. Personally, I got the 22" b/c I like this platform for its compactness. Within 800 yds, I think the 22" should work just fine and if I want to go out further, then I would have the 338 to go to.

I appreciate the write up Dave, and am looking forward to the other reports. </div></div>

Why would a 22" barrel be a hindrance for shooting to 1000 yards? Many do it just fine with a 20", and some do it with an 18" .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTA is an awesome platform for what they designed it for (a multi-caliber sniper weapon). I enjoyed shooting mine. I wish i would have done the .338 Lapua before selling it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Little recoil for such a light rifle even with the shorter barrel.</div></div>
Have you weighed the rifle dry without optics? I wouldn't call it light (maybe compared to a AI). It does balance really well and that makes it feel lighter than it is even though it's in the neighborhood of 12lbs dry. </div></div>

Jesse,
I was comparing it to the AI. Relatively speaking,it's light.

Eleaf, I was just throwing the 800 yd figure out there. Really what I was intending to say, is that you have the 338 conversion for when you want to get further out than your 308 is capable, whatever range that may be.

Between the 22" and 26" barrels if you shoot factory ammo you will not see much of a gain at all if any, average velocity difference when we tested it way back when was only 15 fps with factory loaded ammo firing 175 SMK's. We shoot the 22" barreled 308's to 1150 yard mark fairly regularly in our training classes to show students the round will make it their supersonic.

The weights of the SRS are dead nuts accurate on our updated website.

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/firearms

SRS .308 22" is 10.4 lbs
SRS .300 26" Win is 11.75 lbs
SRS .338 26" w/ break is 12.4 lbs

AI rifle weights are as follows(without all the bells and whistles)
AI AW 20" 308 is 13.5 lbs
AI AWSM 26" 300 win 14.3 lbs
AI AWSM 27" 338 LM 15.1 lbs
AI rifle weights can be verified here. http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/PDF/AI_Brochure.pdf

Having actually held the SRS in hand at Shot Show, there's no question the DTA rifles are lighter than the AI rifles. It's not just the balance. It is noticeably lighter. My interest was really peaked after having looked at them in person. Now I just need to get behind one to make a final decision, but very likely, one of these will be my next precision rifle.

Hey Dave, that sounds almost exactly like the set up I am looking to get, scope and all. I was thinking about just getting the chassis and getting my barrels elsewhere. I would like to get the .338 barrel 28" and the .308 at 26". I figure the gun is so much shorter already why not get a little extra velocity. It sounds like you got your 26" .308 straight from DTA? Do you know if I can order the gun with a 26" barrel straight from DTA? I can't wait to get my hands on this item.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreamlander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Dave, that sounds almost exactly like the set up I am looking to get, scope and all. I was thinking about just getting the chassis and getting my barrels elsewhere. I would like to get the .338 barrel 28" and the .308 at 26". I figure the gun is so much shorter already why not get a little extra velocity. It sounds like you got your 26" .308 straight from DTA? Do you know if I can order the gun with a 26" barrel straight from DTA? I can't wait to get my hands on this item. </div></div>

I got my 26" .308 Barrel direct from DTA but already had a 22" .308. Call Ethan and ask if you can forgo the 22" barrel and replace it with the 26" one. Don't know til you ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think DTA is making 26" .308 barrels as well, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll send you a PM.</div></div>

They are. Thats where I got mine.

I talked to Ethan last week and they had 26" Krieger barrels available. Give them a call. I called twice and he answered both times!

Guys,
We do have 26" barrels we ran a limited production run on them because we had so many requests for them. We still have a couple left.

Shot SRS .308 1/10 Krieger 22" barrel used IMR 8208 xbr Lapua case 155 L Temp about 50F Alt sea level 10 mph cross wind at 90 degrees 2920 Fps load in single digits SD ES ( below ability of chrono to measure)but shows cosistancy. I run my AIAW at 2940 Fps with 25" barrel so I gave up 20 Fps. No preasure signs, primer edges round not flat, no leaks around primer and easy bolt lift/extraction. Why throw a 26" barrel when one of the major advantages is being compact and light, with proper loads you don't give up much. I only wish the trigger had a over travel stop,please.