• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS muzzle brake removel.

silentheart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Hi,
Hope some of the more experienced members or tinkering group can help me.
I have a factory dta srs a1 barrel in 338lm. It come with the oem muzzle brake installed. Even with factory brake, it still recoil more than I like. I bought an aftermarket one in hope to tame it a little more. However, it is nearly impossible to remove the brake. I tried use hair drier to heat it up and twist with wood stick. Not budging.
Anyone replaced their dta srs oem brake before? Any suggestion?
Thanks and a happy Father’s Day to all you father out there.

Hello, hair drier isnt going to cut it. I dont think they have any thread lock but an actual heat gun is going to be what you may want to try. When I took a brake off I had to use a sizable cheater bar and make sure the barrel is secured well. A rod through the gap in the brake is worth considering too, just wrap the tool in tape or cloth to prevent marring the finish on brake.

I just use a lighter (the longer extended one) and let it burn under the brake for a couple minutes. Heat the brake, not the barrel. Wrap a rag on the brake and use a crescent wrench on the brake. I just removed one this weekend with a 10” crescent.

It may be on with rockset, boiling water will losen it and not overheat anything.
My gunsmith uses rockset for muzzle brakes / can adapters and thats how he removes them.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Will give the long lighter under the brake a try first. Will try boiling water as last resort. I am hoping not to damage the brake and use it in the 308 barrel. Also, not to damage the 338lm barrel too.
Thanks again.

So there is no mistake, boiling water is 212 dgr no more, I can stick a finger in it briefly.
No way it will damage steel, or most finishes.
Other heating methods vary, so beware hard to eyeball temps.