• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTA SRS with SAC Bartlein barrel Review

VKC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Battle Born, U.S.A.
I recently bought a DTA SRS 6.5 Creedmoor from Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs, and just wanted to share my awesome experience and do a review.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle Specs:</span></span> DTA SRS with monopod, SAC 26.1” length, 6.5 Creedmoor, Bartlein barrel melonited threaded at 5/8 24 TPI with thread protector.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Short Action Customs:</span></span> First off, Mark is GTG and a real gentleman. He is very quick to respond to his emails; a no non-sense direct person. He gets his job done quickly and does very high quality work. I’ve worked with a lot of custom gunsmiths in the past, and many of them give you inaccurate time estimates which can be very frustrating. Not Mark, he lets you know when he can get the job done and before you know it, you get an email with a FedEx tracking number that can only make you smile. Accolades to him.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Background:</span></span> Previously I only owned and shot traditionally non-bullpup rifles. I was a little skeptical about the ergonomics of a bullpup, but really liked the idea of a shorter rifle with better balance. After shooting front-heavy traditional stock rifles with suppressors in non-supported shooting positions, I finally made the leap of faith and bought a DTA SRS from SAC. I could not be happier.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Overall rifle length:</span></span> The first thing I noticed was that even with a suppressor and 26” barrel my DTA was the shorter than my 23” rifle without a suppressor.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Balance:</span></span> The balance of a DTA if soooo much better for non-supported (e.g. off hand) shooting. Try shooting 26” heavy barreled rifle with a suppressor and a traditional stock, and it is almost comical for me after shooting a DTA. The best way I can describe it, is take a broom stick and tie a weight on the distal end and try welding it with an outstretched arm…then take that same weight and hold it without the broom stick and closer to your body with a bend arm. The balance point for my DTA without the suppressor was at the trigger guard...with a suppressor it was forward, just before the quad rail.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Trigger:</span></span> This is what really concerned me about a DTA and any bullpup. I was afraid of a mushy trigger that did not “break” crisply. I was pleasantly surprised…fairly crisp but more importantly easy to shoot accurately and without an inconsistent irregular break or take-up. Now is it at smooth as a Jewell or tuned Timney, no. But was I able to shoot it as accurately, yes.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Ergonomics:</span></span> Different than a traditional stock and takes some getting used to, but I would say that I can cycle the bolt just as fast and effectively. The hardest to get used to is the magazine changes and location of the mag releases on the different sides, but no problem with training.

It is getting late, but more details to come later about the barrel, accuracy, magazines, monopod, etc.

Reactions: apache64pilot
Re: DTA SRS with SAC Bartlein barrel Review

Good write-up!

Welcome to the DTA family...
wink.gif

Great write-up! Can't wait to hear more.

Thanks.

Cant wait to hear more... Pics wouldn't hurt either!

nice post

Pictures posted, courtesy of Mark Gordon. He took the pics and previously posted them on this forum where I bought the rifle.

I would like the flexibility of the DTA but am not sure of the ergonomics yet. Great information

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel:</span></span> To me, this is one of the best parts of this rifle. It was a custom by SAC. I’m not sure of the exact contour and Mark can tell you, but it looks to be around a heavy palma to me.

1 in 8” twist, so can stabilize the 140grs (6.5 Creedmoor) in all conditions.

5/8x24” TPI with thread protector. Very nicely done and finished at same diameter as the barrel. You could not tell it was there if it wasn’t knurled.

26” length melonited.

The top of the barrel has an indexing point and inserts into DTA chassis with minimal point of aim shift. I believe Mark uses a gen 1 DTA chassis for more flexibility with his custom barrels and they can use a gen 1 or a gen 2 DTA barrel.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Ballistics:</span></span> I’m getting 2858 fps @ 95F, 4870ft, 30.17inHg, 14.65% humidity. That’s with factory Hornady 140gr AMAXs. So that is not going subsonic until about 1700 yards.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Accuracy:</span></span> This rifle shoots sub-¼moa without problems. I got less than ¼” groups at 100 yards, and easily hit a chest-sized steel plate consistently at 920 yards. At 620 yards, I was able to hit a head sized plate. I even scored a few hits at 1550 yards. Now, I can't say if DTA rifles without SAC custom Bartlein barrels have similar accuracy, but I would suspect not as I’ve yet to shoot a factory rifle with that type of accuracy. To give you an idea, this rifle shoots just as good or better than my GA Precision Crusader, now that is saying something...but part of that has to do with the caliber as well. I know that many gunsmiths hesitate in advertising much better than ½moa accuracy because many people can't shoot that well at no fault to the rifle, but this SAC DTA makes it easy for me. Wow!

***The other importance factor is that with a DTA rifle the bipod sits so much further forward than with a traditional non-bullpup rifle, and gives you less shift with recoil and better stability.***

I've only dealt with Mark on a DTA barrel, but from that I'd say he does great work, and couples that great work with great customer service.

Magazine, monopod, DTA scope rings, and further information to follow.

Hope the readers find this helpful, and other DTA owners feel free to give your opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now, I can't say if DTA rifles without SAC custom Bartlein barrels have similar accuracy, but I would suspect not as I’ve yet to shoot a factory rifle with that type of accuracy.
</div></div>
You'd be wrong, DTA barrels shoot just as accurate as SAC barrels. Not to take ANYTHING from Marc, his barrels are top notch. But so are the factory's. Russ's DTA shoots right along side if not better than my SAC, but Russ is probably just better than me.

I will say that I think marc spends a little more time per barrel and therefore they may have a cosmetic edge as well.

I think the factory barrels are pretty accurate!

2012-07-14_07-19-33_166.jpg

5 shots with a factory .243 barrel at 100 yards. 105 Amax, H4831SC, Win brass, CCI-200 primer, AAC 762SDN-6.

Nice shooting gregsjt! Noted that DTA factory barrels are extremely accurate as well. I retract my prior assumption.

Great rifle system, I only wish I got on sooner.

WOW! thats some good shooting and a nice looking rifle!

...some guys have all the fun... hahaha

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Monopod:</span></span> My first impression was this is very compact and a sleek design…but is it sturdy or not? It is well made and overall sturdy, however I wish the base was made of a stronger material as if you shoot on sand or dirt with small rocks, the bottom does get scratched up. That seems to be purely cosmetic though, as the monopod holds up well. The base also looks like it is replaceable if this is ever an issue.

It is quick to deploy, a pull of the outer hub downward releases a spring which brings the monopod down to the ground. If you are lined up to shoot, at the time you deploy the monopod that puts you at just about at the perfect level. After that you just turn the hub or outer ring to fine adjust your elevation.

I compared it to my Accushot monopod, and found the DTA monopod to be quicker to deploy and easier to fine adjust for me. I was used to grasping around my accushot monopod, but then sometimes I would accidently depress the button after or during a shot, and my monopod would retract and bring me off target. The DTA monopod however is not designed to grasp around with your supporting hand, since it is so thin, but rather better served with grabbing the butt-hook of the rear stock or partially wrapped with a flat rear bag. The DTA monopod took some getting used to, but I never accidently retracted the monopod and it was surprisingly much more stable and solid than it appeared to be.

The rifles have to be ordered initially with the monopods or sent back to the company to retrofit. I recommend just getting a monopod with the rifle from the start if you are contemplating it, as the weight added is minimal and not noticeable. When retracted, it is out of the way and does not easily get snagged on anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Monopod:</span></span> My first impression was this is very compact and a sleek design…but is it sturdy or not? It is well made and overall sturdy, however I wish the base was made of a stronger material as if you shoot on sand or dirt with small rocks, the bottom does get scratched up. That seems to be purely cosmetic though, as the monopod holds up well. The base also looks like it is replaceable if this is ever an issue.

It is quick to deploy, a pull of the outer hub downward releases a spring which brings the monopod down to the ground. If you are lined up to shoot, at the time you deploy the monopod that puts you at just about at the perfect level. After that you just turn the hub or outer ring to fine adjust your elevation.

I compared it to my Accushot monopod, and found the DTA monopod to be quicker to deploy and easier to fine adjust for me. I was used to grasping around my accushot monopod, but then sometimes I would accidently depress the button after or during a shot, and my monopod would retract and bring me off target. The DTA monopod however is not designed to grasp around with your supporting hand, since it is so thin, but rather better served with grabbing the butt-hook of the rear stock or partially wrapped with a flat rear bag. The DTA monopod took some getting used to, but I never accidently retracted the monopod and it was surprisingly much more stable and solid than it appeared to be.

The rifles have to be ordered initially with the monopods or sent back to the company to retrofit. I recommend just getting a monopod with the rifle from the start if you are contemplating it, as the weight added is minimal and not noticeable. When retracted, it is out of the way and does not easily get snagged on anything.
</div></div>

I really like their monopod design too.

FYI all new Gen 2 SRS and Covert Chassis are machined for the monopod. Which allows the user to easily add the monopod without having to ship the chassis back to DTA for the retrofit.

I will also second the others on the accuracy of DTA's barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI all new Gen 2 SRS and Covert Chassis are machined for the monopod. Which allows the user to easily add the monopod without having to ship the chassis back to DTA for the retrofit.
</div></div>

I was curious about this as I have a Gen 1 SRS and want to get the monopod upgrade but assumed it just required new skins instead of an actual chassis mod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI all new Gen 2 SRS and Covert Chassis are machined for the monopod. Which allows the user to easily add the monopod without having to ship the chassis back to DTA for the retrofit.
</div></div>

I was curious about this as I have a Gen 1 SRS and want to get the monopod upgrade but assumed it just required new skins instead of an actual chassis mod?

</div></div>

If you have a Gen 1, take off your skins and see if your chassis is already set up to accept the monopod. If so, there is not need to send your rifle in.

The Monopod Upgrade Kit comes with the monopod and new skins that fit around the Monopod.

Mine if from the first run, so not likely. I didn't think the actual chassis needed to be modified - just replace the skins with a set that includes the monopod?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine if from the first run, so not likely. I didn't think the actual chassis needed to be modified - just replace the skins with a set that includes the monopod? </div></div>

The bottom of the receiver has to be threaded for the monopod. My gen 1 rifle is threaded but my buddies (2 of them) have gen 1 rifles that are not. I think my serial number is somewhere around 1370 if that helps you. To be sure take off the skins and look at the bottom of the receiver toward the rear. If you have a threaded pocket on the bottom than you just need skins and the monopod kit. If its not got the pocket you need to send it back to have it done.

Hope that helps

Frank

Thanks, I'll take a look...in late December
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine if from the first run, so not likely. I didn't think the actual chassis needed to be modified - just replace the skins with a set that includes the monopod? </div></div>

The bottom of the receiver has to be threaded for the monopod. My gen 1 rifle is threaded but my buddies (2 of them) have gen 1 rifles that are not. I think my serial number is somewhere around 1370 if that helps you. To be sure take off the skins and look at the bottom of the receiver toward the rear. If you have a threaded pocket on the bottom than you just need skins and the monopod kit. If its not got the pocket you need to send it back to have it done.

Hope that helps

Frank</div></div>

Hey bro, is this what you're talking about(sorry for the noob question
wink.gif
) ?

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0504.jpg

I have a Gen1 so most of those were not pre-threaded for a monopod. I was told by Mark Gordon that I would have to send it back if I wanted a monopod, so I went with OD that he had in stock with a monopod instead of dark earth.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Magazines:</span></span> They are single stack steel magazines. The 308win or 6.5cm short action calibers fit 6 rounds.

So far my review has been great, but here is where the DTA platform could use some improvement. 6-rounds DTA single stack vs. 10-rounds staggered double stack AI industry standard, in my opinion this is suboptimal. DTA really needs to come out with a 10-round magazine. I’ve heard rumors about higher capacity mags coming out in the future. Their website states…”yes, one is in development”.

The rounds are difficult (but not unreasonable) to load into the magazines, really tight fitting and the spring tension is high; however that also prevents them from been partially dislodged or misaligned with storage and thus feed reliably more consistently. I’ve notice that on AI/AW magazines that if the first round gets pushed slightly out or misaligned you can get have difficulty feeding the 1st round with a new magazine change. Not a problem with DTA magazines. The multiple DTA magazines that I have fed without any malfunctions and drop freely with initiating the mag release.

SRS magazines have a “shoulder retention” feature (thus the "tight" fit) that keeps the bullet from contacting the inside of the magazine. This is a nice feature and prevents the bullet tip from deforming when hitting the front of the magazine during recoil or when the magazines get banged around in transport, which can happen with other magazines.

The other compromise in DTA magazines is the length of the short action caliber magazines are the same overall length as the long-action magazines. The short action mags just have a spacer to limit the internal length. Good because you can use a universal mag carrier, but bad because of the added length. But understandable and reasonable, because of it being a multi-caliber platform.

Another minus, is of course the price, at $106, that is expensive. AE/AW/AX magazine are about $65 to $75. But it seems like this is where many companies try to get you. Noted that DTA magazines are not as commonly available, and there is also some economy of scale reasons for the price difference.

The internal magazine length on the 308/243/6.5cm DTA short action magazines are 3”. FYI, the internal length of the DTA SRS 338LM/300WinMag magazines are 4”. This is really nice for hand loaders, as you can seat your bullets long to pack as much powder in the case as needed. As well being able to seat the long VLD bullets out pass the ogive.

I plan to add another post soon with the reasons why I chose a SAC barrel over a factory DTA barrel. As stated by others above, the factory barrels are very accurate, but there were other reasons and factors that I considered. I don't want to start a pissing match between SAC and factory barrels, and am not stating that one is better or inferior to the other. Stay tuned.

[/quote]

Hey bro, is this what you're talking about(sorry for the noob question
wink.gif
) ?

DSC_0503.jpg

[/quote]

Thats it, your rifle is monopod ready. Just order the pod and skins kit.

Frank

Great review, I ordered one from SAC based on reading this and the were great to deal with

There were several factors that made me chose SAC rather than a standard DTA barrel. I did not want a 3/4x24 but rather a 5/8-24 thread. I wanted a 6.5cm with a 1 in 8" twist and not a 260rem. I wanted my a bartlein barrel and it melonited. I wanted a removable muzzle brake threaded and indexed. Also wanted a different length than what DTA had standard.