• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTAC seating stem..?

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
Nashville
Couldn't find it in searches...

I couldn't find any 108ELD-M's so I ordered some DTAC's. What are guys using for a DTAC (6mm 115gr RBT) seating stem..?
I noticed on Mr. Tubb's site that they use a 30cal stem in their 6XC dies (supposed to fit the ogive better)...

I've been shooting Hornady 108gr ELD-M's for a while now (1000+rds) and think some of the good luck I've had is the product of using the specific ELD-M seating stem in my Hornady Match Grade seating die. The ELD-M stem is a VLD stem, while the die includes another "standard" stem I've never used.

I guess I'll just use what ever stem seems to fit the ogive better, but I could try seeing if a Hornady 30cal stem would work in my die and fit better, IDK, anyone tried?

Thanks.

Only advantage to using the larger caliber unit is increased contact area by having the seating stem touch the bullet further down from the point

If you are that concerned use a small amount of JB Weld putty and a waxed dtac to get a perfect seating stem to point contact, like bedding a bullet

Yeah, I don't think I'll have an issue, just never used them before.

I'll just roll with whichever stem I have that works best and should be good.

Only advantage to using the larger caliber unit is increased contact area by having the seating stem touch the bullet further down from the point

If you are that concerned use a small amount of JB Weld putty and a waxed dtac to get a perfect seating stem to point contact, like bedding a bullet
First time I’ve heard of bedding a seating stem. Very nice idea.

First time I’ve heard of bedding a seating stem. Very nice idea.

I'd stumbled upon this before, but the concept kind of lights my reloading-OCD on fire lol.

It seems like a great idea, but I'd be concerned about the bedding material taking up volume in a standard-sized stem and think one would need an oversized stem at the start to make it work. Even then I'd probably mess it up and not get it bedded perfect... I think I prefer the random comfort of just finding a good-fitting steel seating stem that works lol.

I think I just have been spoiled using a bullet with a stem literally made for it as I haven't had any issues with bullets not being seated straight.