• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DTECH .223WSSM AR-15 performance

knockemdown

suburban redneck
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2007
Hey guys,
A while back, I traded for a 20" Oly 223WSSM upper here on the classifeds with the expectation of re-barreling it at a later date. Well, that later date has arrived, and I had DTECH spin a 22" Shilen Select fluted bull barrel on it, 1:8" twist. I thought some of you guys might be interested in a fairly non-standard AR-15, so here's a quick report...

First trip to the range was to shake it out for pressure with VARGET pushing some Sierra 65gr Gamekings I had laying around...

range8-7004A.jpg

1st shot was .2mil high and .5mil right, so after two quick corrections, I was pretty on @ 100yds, then reset the chrono and fired the next 8 shots (37.5-41.0gr VARGET) in .5gr increments for find my pressure threshold. It was nice to see they all clumped together pretty well!
range8-7003.jpg

The last shot (41.0gr) started flattening the WLR primers, so I called it quits. And quite pleased with 3507fps yield from just a 22" tube. That's darn near .220 SWIFT performance, in an AR-15 no less!
Next up is to try the 75 AMAX and see if I can get 3300+ out of it. If so, that'd make for a heck of a 1K load...

good shootin'
Fred

Re: DTECH .223WSSM AR-15 performance

Damn nice coyote killin machine!

Does the shilen bbl seem any more accurate than the oly?

It would seem so, but I've yet to shoot it again. Just happy to be able to push the heavier bullets from this one...

Awesome! Great group especially considering that was for sight-in.