• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dual band AND coti - does this work or too much info ?

PussySlayer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2024
Montana
Has anyone run a bridge with pvs14 + COTI on one side and a thermal mono on the other side ?

What is it like ? Managable ..or information overload clusterf*ck ?

Opinions please from anyone who has tried it.

Going to be moving around a lot in varying terrain a lot of it in forested areas. Obviously dual nvg with eCOTI is going to be superior for moving around and detection <300? but I’m also going to be popping in and out of open areas 600+ yards detection would be nice.

Thank you !

Better to just have the thermal on a lanyard. Black hot with the coti in outline works fine but doesn't really add anything vs just using straight dual band and you lose the ease of navigation of just the coti. I do a middle ground sometimes of having a 14/coti on one eye and the other side of the bridge empty and a nox on a lanyard. If you are gonna be stationary for awhile or need hands free while scanning I can snap the nox into my bridge.

What kind of detection range are you getting with the COTI ? How far do you think I’ll be able to detect a coyote sized animal in sparsely wooded terrain? How about out in the open ? Montana so cold and low humidity .. good thermal conditions.

I like your setup , guess I could just use a kvc bridge or similar and keep the thermal raised up till I need it then pop it down . Could try lanyard too and see which works better for me. Seems like it would bang around in a lanyard though.

We don't have much open terrain so someone else could probably answer the range question better than myself. In your conditions in the open I'd think in the 3-400 hundred range but just a guess. I've on occasion detected stuff way out there but consistently doing it is another matter.

It's heavily wooded and rugged here so the cotis are primarily close range early warning sensors for us. Imo to detect at range in complex terrain it helps let it chew on an area as your walking giving it different angles as you move. We usually have 2 going so one scanning at angel to each side of the trail and giving them time to produce a resolution. Remember that the legacy coti are 30hz devices and whipping your head around will produce poor results.

Lanyards aren't bad if you keep them short but I usually have a bino harness and have a 1x and a magnified thermal in it. Generally scan with cotis as we move and quick stops or slowing your movement at proper intervals to scan with the 1x while the magnified thermal is for id. This is where I like to just have one eye open so your not rolling a device up and just grab what you need and pop it up to your eye.

If you have a halfway decent thermal in “Dual Band” the COTI just isn’t going to give you anything but another piece of kit to worry about snagging. It can’t detect 50% of what a dedicated thermal will — and it was never designed to.

Reactions: st1650
If you have a halfway decent thermal in “Dual Band” the COTI just isn’t going to give you anything but another piece of kit to worry about snagging. It can’t detect 50% of what a dedicated thermal will — and it was never designed to.
Agreed. PVS14 + RH25 or any thermal that you can collimate/manually offset is the way to go.

Reactions: TheHorta