• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dual ejector springs on a factory Rem 700 bolt with a factory extractor

Easy_E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2006
St Johns Mi
Hello guys wondering if you guys have ran across this ? I bought some 223 Remington actions and the bolts have the relief cut for a second ejection plunger . Now that the action is barreled when cycled the brass gets hung up sticking in the bolt at a angle ? It seems to push the brass into the opening left for the second ejector and hangs up .
I'm tempted to just go ahead and drill the second hole but will that work with the factory claw extractor ? Is there a drawing that gives measurements where to drill the second hole to catch the roll pin ?
Thanks

Hello guys wondering if you guys have ran across this ? I bought some 223 Remington actions and the bolts have the relief cut for a second ejection plunger . Now that the action is barreled when cycled the brass gets hung up sticking in the bolt at a angle ? It seems to push the brass into the opening left for the second ejector and hangs up .
I'm tempted to just go ahead and drill the second hole but will that work with the factory claw extractor ? Is there a drawing that gives measurements where to drill the second hole to catch the roll pin ?
Thanks
Maybe this is what you're looking for https://www.longriflesinc.com/produ...s-dual-ejectors-for-m700s-with-m16-extractors

Thanks

If you have a pic or two of your bolts I'd be curious to see exactly what your describing.

Reactions: Average guy
If you have a pic or two of your bolts I'd be curious to see exactly what your describing.
I'll get them up tonight meant to call you guys today crazy at work .

The bolt on the left has the cut out for the extra spring I believe its right inline with the roll pin . The case pivots grabbing the extractor cutout on the opposite side . This one is a .350 but the .223's do the same so I'm thinking having the second ejector spring would take care of it ?

Attachments

• IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
Ok, thats a new one by me. Not seen it like that before, OR ive just never paid attention to it.

Installing a second ejector i guess will fix your issue, however id be looking to provide some relief via a chamfer or similar, as thats a much easier way.

I'll get them up tonight meant to call you guys today crazy at work .

The bolt on the left has the cut out for the extra spring I believe its right inline with the roll pin . The case pivots grabbing the extractor cutout on the opposite side . This one is a .350 but the .223's do the same so I'm thinking having the second ejector spring would take care of it ?

Goes without saying that you are indeed correct. That bolt in the pic on the left is a production anomaly. How it ended up in your hands is odd.

FWIW:

Before Remington went "supernova," we did all of the heavy lifting type machine work for the Custom Shop. The 2x ejector thing was something we did for all the M16 installs, as it just makes the ejection angle work better. That bolt isn't something we did as we never offered it with the OEM type xtr. (nevermind that it would never have left here without the 2nd hole being poked)

If you acquired this recently (say within the last couple of years), I would guess that it's a bolt that somehow got tossed into the normal production pile unfinished by someone else at the factory. Towards the end, when Remmy was in their dying last gasps, a lot of weird shit was going on.

Last edited:
I'm thinking you may have a bolt that was intended for use with Remington's .221 and 17FB 700's. These required the ejector to be moved, so that the case wasn't pushed off the bolt face as it moved past the bolt lug cut outs in the receiver ring during extraction (due to the extremely short case).

Just a guess on my part though...maybe Chad (@LongRifles Inc. ) can confirm (I thought they were clocked at a different position though).

Goes without saying that you are indeed correct. That bolt in the pic on the left is a production anomaly. How it ended up in your hands is odd.

If you acquired this recently (say within the last couple of years), my guess would be that it's a bolt that somehow got tossed into the normal production pile that was unfinished by someone else at the factory. Towards the end, when Remmy was in their dying last gasps, a lot of weird shit was going on.
We bought some of the actions PTG is selling this bolt also has the skeleton bolt handle they came with a RR serial number tube .

I'm thinking you may have a bolt that was intended for use with Remington's .221 and 17FB 700's. These required the ejector to be moved, so that the case wasn't pushed off the bolt face as it moved past the bolt lug cut outs in the receiver ring during extraction (due to the extremely short case).

Just a guess on my part though...maybe Chad (@LongRifles Inc. ) can confirm (I thought they were clocked at a different position though).
I have a few factory 17 fireballs, 221 fireballs and the 300 blackout I don't think the spring is that far off the 223 plunger position .

I can't recall ever seeing a bolt like this. The ones I'm familiar with use the 9 o'clock position for the ejector pin. A lot of aftermarket bolts use this also, as it typically allows for a single ejector plunger to be used for extractors like the M16. It's too bad that production goofs don't make the "rare and desirable" status that minted coins enjoy. This one would be a doozy. :)

Ok, thats a new one by me. Not seen it like that before, OR ive just never paid attention to it.

Installing a second ejector i guess will fix your issue, however id be looking to provide some relief via a chamfer or similar, as thats a much easier way.
We have to relieve some material above the extractors for rebated rims like the 450 like your saying but this cartridge rim slides over and catches the groove cut for the extractor . On a normal 223 bolt that area is all filled holding the cartridge into the extractor claw this setup lets the round slip over and get caught .

Much like a 458socom on a 308 (.473) bolt face. Needs to be fiddled with.