• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Dual focal plane scopes

Tree

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
MN (Frozen tundra)
Why don't more manufacturers make 1-x variable scopes with a dual focal plane. Red dot on the second / reticle on the first. Weaver use too, up until the became part of the Bushnell family. I believe S&B has one but it runs about $4k. These would be great on an AR especially for 3-gun.

Likely because there isn’t much of a market for them.

Take a 1-8x optic, how often are you anywhere except 1 or 8x?

Most I know have a throw lever and just use one or the other.

I'm pretty dumb, but I thought this was headed towards the Quigley-Ford factory. I do, however, agree with @Dthomas3523 , I'm on 1x, or I'm on 6x. rarely, and I mean rarely, am i in between

I think minox does this on their 1-8. I get being on 1 or 8 and not in between, but it still seems like people tend to like the reticle on 1 or 8 but not both. Dual focal plane seems to be a way to get the best of both worlds.

So if everyone is on either 1 or 8 (max power) why are there 1-4, 1-6, 1-8, etc. I have the Weaver and have used power in-between depending on distance of targets needed to shoot. Our matches many times have targets at varing distances and being on 1 or max power isn't always the best option.

You certainly can be in between, and if you have a reason to be then no reason not to do it. I think you would be in the minority of users though that regularly use anything in between minimum or maximum power on these lpvo's.

Burris has a dual focal plane 1.5-8x
It never really took off, I would guess because it wasn't a true 1x, and it was also two feet long.

I like the idea of a duel focal plane, however probably not a big enough market to have manufacturers going after it.