• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Dual purpose optic

chwithad

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2024
Loudoun County, VA
Hello everyone. I just joined after a long time of coming across this forum during searches. I currently have an Eotech XPS and magnifier on my AR15 and I don't have any experience with variable magnified optics.
I'm thinking about a Steiner T6xi 3-18x56 MIL for my new Larue 18" 308. I will be deer hunting with this and outside of hunting season, I'll be target shooting out to 500 yards (with the rare possibility of over 500 yards).
For those with a 3-18x optic (or even this exact optic), does this seem plausible for both hunting and target shooting?
Thanks in advance, and glad to learn from everyone here.

Top end of 18x is way more than enough to 500 yards for target or hunting.
I have a couple of optics that top out at 18x and do just fine with them to 1200 yards.
I should have specified about whether the Christmas tree style reticle is good for hunting while at lower magnifications.

I should have specified about whether the Christmas tree style reticle is good for hunting while at lower magnifications.
They do fine especially something like the Bushnell G2H reticle with the circle in the center.
Are they better for up close quick reaction than a standard second focal reticle probably not.

I bought one of the leupold 4hd 2-10x SFP scopes for my coyote AR as kind of a compromise between having a larger 3-18x and a smaller 1- type thing. The reticule is fine for target shooting at 10x and easy to pick up at lower magnification, plus illumination for evening/morning, and lighter weight. Also looked at the nx8 2.5-20 with the mil xt reticle and liked it but didn't feel like I would get any more practical use out of it vs a 2.5-10 on a 223 AR15.

Here is a review by another guy of that steiner t6xi compared to other scopes:

I plan on using my NF 2.5-10 on an 18 inch 7-08 for close to the same purposes.

I don’t really plan on shooting past 500 yards though, unless I get a wild hair to play. Originally built for a 300 yard and in gun for hunting, with occasional target use.

Reactions: XLR308
Hello everyone. I just joined after a long time of coming across this forum during searches. I currently have an Eotech XPS and magnifier on my AR15 and I don't have any experience with variable magnified optics.
I'm thinking about a Steiner T6xi 3-18x56 MIL for my new Larue 18" 308. I will be deer hunting with this and outside of hunting season, I'll be target shooting out to 500 yards (with the rare possibility of over 500 yards).
For those with a 3-18x optic (or even this exact optic), does this seem plausible for both hunting and target shooting?

I use the 5-30 Steiner T6xi on my precision rifle and love it. I have long been wondering about the 3-18 version in just the role you are considering, with an accurate AR platform. If you decide to do it, please come back and give is a good review.

Reactions: BCP and chwithad
First thoughts, the Steiner 3-18 is kind of a beefy scope at 34.4oz; however, a Larue 18" 308 is a pretty beefy rig so it may balance well. You do not "need" 18x to shoot your distances, but having higher magnification can help for PID. The scope is a really well designed scope for the price. The 56mm objective helps with a forgiving eyebox and low light capabilities but if you won't be doing much low light shooting may not be worth the extra weight? Nothing wrong with using a tree reticle for hunting, this is more personal preference, some would rather have the MSR2 as it is "cleaner" but if you plan to use the reticle for hold at distance then the tree will help if there is wind (which there usually is).

Here is a review by another guy of that steiner t6xi compared to other scopes:

Don't listen to that bozo who does those reviews :sneaky: :p

One other thought, if you want to stick with Steiner then check out their H6Xi 2-12x42, they are coming out with a new mil reticle but if MOA floats your boat they have that already. 12x is more than enough for your distances and the scope is quite a bit lighter than the 3-18x56, but the downside (maybe) is the 42mm objective which will be a bit darker than the 56mm objective of the 3-18, you just need to determine if saving weight is more important.

Reactions: chwithad
You might consider something smaller, lighter, lower powered if your only going to shoot to 500Y.

I use a PA GlX 2.5-10 Raptor on my 5.56 and hit a bunch of steel at 500Y. its plenty of scope for that and will be way faster for a quick offhand shot which you may be taking while hunting. Also weighs 12oz less than that Steiner and is far cheaper.

Its not in the same league for serious precision work but if your just shooting steel targets to 500Y I think it'll do great. If your wanting to print groups on paper at those sort of distances, otoh, you will be better served with much more magnification.

I really enjoy my T6Xi. It’s a good crossover scope, even if it’s on the heavy side for hunting. But the field of view is great, the locking turrets are nice to have, and it’s easy to stay on the scope for extended periods of time.

To 500 yards? Get a Vortex Razor Gen3 1-10x24 LPVO in an ARC M-Brace 1-piece mount. And if you're MIL/LEO/FR, then you can get a really good price on some Vortex stuff.

Mk5 with pr2 reticle add a red dot 12 oclock or 35 degree for night vision and or close engagements.