• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duffel Bags

mackdrvr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
NY....Hudson Valley
Good evening guys. I'm looking for a heavy duty duffel bag. Super strong preferably with interior compartments. My google foo has turned up "Bad Bags" made in Washington, and Wild Things bags in New Hampshire. Do you guys have any comment on these two companies? Also are there any other heavy duty bag makers out there? Thanks in advance.

Re: Duffel Bags

My vote for a bombproof duffle bag would be a North Face Base Camp duffle.

Mine has gone around the world several times and is still going strong: some scuffs but otherwise no loose threads, tears or otherwise, zippers work perfectly.

There are only 3 interior pockets: 2 on the ends and one under the main flap. To "compartmentalize" I just use sleeping bag stuff sacks or padded soft cases, depending on what I'm carrying.

I have used WildThings mules, two of them and burro duffels. One burro bag since the mid 80s. Flown around the world and on bush planes. Still using them today for gear storage. Used the mule as a drag bag for a few trips until I got an actual drag bag. Got drug on airport concrete too because it was loaded to heavy to pick up and carry. Absolutely bombproof! The handles are big enough to use as shoulder straps for short carries. None of mine have compartments on the inside, just one on the outside, on the side between the webbing that make the handles. Not real big compartment. The main zipper is robust and takes a good beating, mine has been tortured by over stuffed zip ups and drug on, no failures. They are not real weatherproof when used in in-climate weather. I used contractor trash bags as a liner.

The TNF Base Camp mentioned are also very good duffels, I sold a ton of them. The material is more weatherproof, its very stiff and keeps its shape when just sitting there and its very durable but not as durable as the WT. The main zipper goes in a U shape around the top, more useful to get out things inside but a little more difficult to pack.

Bad Bags have a design like TNF but the carry handles are stitch onto the side, they do not go around the circumference the bag for extra support and durability. Plastic ladders on the side would get ripped off by me and leather is a no-go for me too.

Good luck

Sorry so late to the party. I have 4 BAD bags, (Best American Duffle) These are bomb proof. We haul them off road about 6 weeks a year, and all over the US on planes etc. I am really happy with these, and this fellow is a small top notch manufacturer (in the US).