• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Duh. Loose brake --> zero moved

DownhillFromHere

Aim > Impact > Take a Nap
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
No surprise, but a bit of quantification... :rolleyes:

I shot 85 rounds of 6.5CM (Peterson SRP / Berger 140 Hybrid/ 41.2 H4350 / CCI 450 --> 2775fps) out to 1000 yards Wednesday. By day's end, my POI had changed 0.2 mils up, 0.1 mil right from where I started the day, verified on 100-yard paper. 5-shot group was still tight - group just moved. So I reset zero on the 4.5-27x56 Razor and went home.

Cleaned the rifle yesterday and found the brake noticeably loose, took not quite 1/16 turn to snug it up.

Back to the range today to check the zero. Same ammo. Sure enough, I was 0.2 low, 0.1 left @100. Fixed it.

We all know loose stuff on the rifle causes crappy results. Now I can say that if my APA Little B*rd brake is slightly loose on my particular rifle, I'll be two-tenths high and one-tenth right.

Because the world needs to know.

It's still shared experiences like this that might help the next guy when he's troubleshooting a sudden POI shift.

Reactions: camocorvette