• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duluth Police Dept. K9 Luna Killed

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
Duluth Police Department lost a K9 this morning.

rip luna!

luna-2-225x300.jpg

i hope they kill the fucker.

Damn, they killed the upgraded model too. No punishment is too severe for the asshole who did it.

Reactions: tiNdvenTFHwMdqKW
That'd be tough hearing that shot and knowing my dog was bleeding out. Fellow officers may of had to restrain me from going in, hands raised, to try and rescue my dog.

RIP Luna, what a beautiful dog.

That's the second K9 killed in the line of duty this week in MN. The other was a suburb of Mpls.

Reactions: fx77
An illustration of how dangerous domestic disturbance calls are.
Both of the K-9's killed in Duluth were killed during domestic disturbance calls.

Reactions: tiNdvenTFHwMdqKW
These strike hard. Been through a few, and my dad’s pup Nemo was living with a four leaf after taking one to the muzzle and through the eye, managed to make it back stateside and still help make a difference. RIP Luna 😞

Reactions: atomic41
Sending a dog after a armed person, very good chance the dog is going to get the weapon used on it, it’s not natural to stand down and let a dog maul you

Sad all around. Folks (both sides) need to de escalate, seems like as time goes forwards egos are getting bigger and common sense is getting smaller.

I have a friend in the DPD ... just touched base with him and he's good.
What a tough job to have to deal with all the shit they have to encounter.

Stooopidity for them to send that dog into the house. Two down now from doing the same thing. Maybe, just maybe they will rethink this stoopid action. Did they think that the dog was going to cuff the suspect? Best case scenario the suspect traps the dog in a spare room/closet.
I feel sorry for the dog for having idiots sending him into that.

Stooopidity for them to send that dog into the house. Two down now from doing the same thing. Maybe, just maybe they will rethink this stoopid action. Did they think that the dog was going to cuff the suspect? Best case scenario the suspect traps the dog in a spare room/closet.
I feel sorry for the dog for having idiots sending him into that.
Yeah, I personally am hoping to hear some reasoning behind the actions of sending the dog in right off the bat, all alone, handler should have been in control until it was clear the pup needed to act in an offensive/aggressive position and conditions known.

I have a friend in the DPD ... just touched base with him and he's good.
What a tough job to have to deal with all the shit they have to encounter.

For the education V compensation V risk, beats tons of other jobs.

It’s an officer of the law, not a pet.

That’s how it’s been explained to me.

Always thought that was silly, they can’t be sworn in, they arnt responsible for their own action (one could say something about qualified immunity here), they can’t speak in a court room, receive pay, open a bank account, a police dog is the same as a cattle dog, or a hunting dog.

Increased property tax rate In this situationin appropriate.
Law enforcement resources in this County are now substantially Compromised.
I thank you for your support in my re-election,
county commissioner blah blah blah.

Always thought that was silly, they can’t be sworn in, they arnt responsible for their own action (one could say something about qualified immunity here), they can’t speak in a court room, receive pay, open a bank account, a police dog is the same as a cattle dog, or a hunting dog.
Yeah, true they can’t recite the Oath, but they can save your ass from being completely shot off, and even an entire air base from being overrun... I can prove it. Think that quals....

I have sheep/cattle dogs that do, or have done, comps. They are awesome dogs. Love them to death, and it scares the shit out of me when I see the crazy things they do. That said, I have worked with some young police dogs and some dogs that were in the breeding program at Lackland. It isn't even close to the same thing. Even the difference between a high level ring sport dog and a working police dog is huge. The dogs somehow understand there is a different level of responsibility. I can't explain it.

Reactions: WDN-K-9
Yeah, true they can’t recite the Oath, but they can save your ass from being completely shot off, and even an entire air base from being overrun... I can prove it. Think that quals....

It’s impressive, but it doesn’t.

I love dogs, got a pretty cool one sleeping at my feet right now, but he’s still a dog, just as the police dog is still a dog.

If so then they should treat it as one. There was zero reason to send that dog into the house.
It's a tool like many others. Use it properly. The fuckstick that sent this dog in should never have another working dog.

I have sheep/cattle dogs that do, or have done, comps. They are awesome dogs. Love them to death, and it scares the shit out of me when I see the crazy things they do. That said, I have worked with some young police dogs and some dogs that were in the breeding program at Lackland. It isn't even close to the same thing. Even the difference between a high level ring sport dog and a working police dog is huge. The dogs somehow understand there is a different level of responsibility. I can't explain it.

Just a trained dog, ether can be well trained, or poorly trained.

Thing is ranchers and the like don’t feel the need to try to say their dogs are “officers” because even someone who hangs around sheep all day and drinks tons of whiskey at night knows that’s silly

The only instance I can see having a dog have a badge and being called officer, is if it’s a show and tell for little kids, but I’d also add a little police hat on him too.

This is a cool video of a guy who I used to train with, who before was a trainer and breeder at Lackland. He now trains detection dogs with agencies up and down CA. Anyway, this is him training his new puppy at 11 weeks old. He is just phenomenal with young dogs, always knows the right blend of motivation, pressure and fun. This dog won't "work" but will be a demonstration/sport/companion dog.

Reactions: atomic41

Just a trained dog, ether can be well trained, or poorly trained.

Thing is ranchers and the like don’t feel the need to try to say their dogs are “officers” because even someone who hangs around sheep all day and drinks tons of whiskey at night knows that’s silly

The only instance I can see having a dog have a badge and being called officer, is if it’s a show and tell for little kids, but I’d also add a little police hat on him too.

There is actually a significant difference between a sheepdog and a police dog. That is that for a herding dog the reward is the work, whereas for a police dog while the bite is technically the reward, most of the work never gets there. That separation leads to a completely different kind of dog, and necessitates a different relationship and level of trust between dog and handler. In other words, my kelpies will work until they die because they love it, and not because of the relationship with me.

I'm not going to tell you "oh it is an officer" or not, because I'm not an officer, and I have never worked with a dog in that way. All I can tell you is that my dogs are awesome, but it is a different thing in my opinion.

There is actually a significant difference between a sheepdog and a police dog. That is that for a herding dog the reward is the work, whereas for a police dog while the bite is technically the reward, most of the work never gets there. That separation leads to a completely different kind of dog, and necessitates a different relationship and level of trust between dog and handler. In other words, my kelpies will work until they die because they love it, and not because of the relationship with me.

I'm not going to tell you "oh it is an officer" or not, because I'm not an officer, and I have never worked with a dog in that way. All I can tell you is that my dogs are awesome, but it is a different thing in my opinion.
Hopefully I’ll be back at Lackland later this year for the War Dog museum... we’ll see with this CCP-19 crap.

It’s an officer of the law, not a pet.

That’s how it’s been explained to me...by LEO’s.

That kind of B.S. gets me very upset when boot lickers and oppressors spout it off.

The Police have no problem killing people's dogs for any or even no good reason and they generally tend to get off Scot free and never even have to worry about restitution let alone criminal charges. Even when they do such evil things as shoot dogs that are behind fences.

So if that is how they view the citizen's dogs, then they should NOT be allowed to demand that the "King's Animals" are worthy of respect.

A dog is NOT and can never be an "officer of the law", such a thing shows how perverted the whole idea of justice in this country is.

I like dogs more than people generally speaking.
That being said, if a dog comes after me, meaning to do me injury, I am going to stand on my rights as a human and the highest evolved creature on the planet and do whatever it takes to end the threat good and proper. Then I might need to take out some anger on whoever made me have to harm the dog if the dog was following orders.

Last edited:
Be nice if when the need arose they could just send in a pack of hungry hyenas and be done with it . Maybe some Redbone Coonhounds . Those motherfuckers aint afraid of shit . Ask me how I know .

This is a cool video of a guy who I used to train with, who before was a trainer and breeder at Lackland. He now trains detection dogs with agencies up and down CA. Anyway, this is him training his new puppy at 11 weeks old. He is just phenomenal with young dogs, always knows the right blend of motivation, pressure and fun. This dog won't "work" but will be a demonstration/sport/companion dog.

I trained dogs for 10 years, Freakin awesome pup. That will be one great dog. Excellent trainer too.

2968A0DE-4199-486E-9E5F-5F761D20C79C.jpeg
my son with my Luna.
There is a difference between a person and a dog. Kill my dog you mite live, kill my son you will not live.

If so then they should treat it as one. There was zero reason to send that dog into the house.
It's a tool like many others. Use it properly. The fuckstick that sent this dog in should never have another working dog.
Truth. The handler is/will always be tasked with the responsibility of doing the thinking for the dog. IF (ie, if the reporting is accurate) they sent that dog into the house alone, they have no business handling dogs because they don’t understand the proper deployment parameters, nor the reasonable expectations of the asset capabilities. (Disclaimer: the preceding is based on the current reportage, and subject to revision as details unfold).

I see reading comphrehension is not a strong suit with many here.
The officers were in the house with the dog when the dog was shot. They managed to bring the dog out and take it to the vet, where it died.
They didn't send the dog in alone.

duluth is a shithole....so, theres that.......

A quote directly from the link in the op.

K9 Luna was sent in to apprehend the suspect, at which point the suspect fired shots and hit K9 Luna, according to Ingrid Hornibrook, police information officer. “Officers returned fire, retreated from the residence, and set up a perimeter to contain the scene.”

I see reading comphrehension is not a strong suit with many here.
The officers were in the house with the dog when the dog was shot. They managed to bring the dog out and take it to the vet, where it died.
They didn't send the dog in alone.
Maybe you should get better glasses.

Reactions: jr81452
Sending a dog after a armed person, very good chance the dog is going to get the weapon used on it, it’s not natural to stand down and let a dog maul you

Sad all around. Folks (both sides) need to de escalate, seems like as time goes forwards egos are getting bigger and common sense is getting smaller.

Sending a dog after an armed subject = disposable dog. Not sure I could do it as a K9 handler.

Send in the robot.
That would be terrifying to hear a killer robot clanking it's way toward you.

Sending a dog after an armed subject = disposable dog. Not sure I could do it as a K9 handler.

Send in the robot.

Robots and those that send robots to kill their fellow humans are the kind of things you can destroy and feel righteous about it.
Pretty much picture yourself as the hero of half the science fiction movies...

Send in the robot.

I’d also have to know more, I mean was he holding someone hostage? Was he about to set off a bomb? Did he pose a imminent and real danger to the general public?

I know the police NEED to always “win” but if everyone in that house says “never mind go away”, just go, many times people don’t like government coming into their home to boss them around and or put them in chains, and I’d say good chance the police were called in the heat of the moment, maybe just walk away.

These are your neighbors, this ain’t war.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmckinnon