• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duluth Trading cloths

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
I keep seeing their commercials, some pretty funny. So I decided to have a look see what they have. Not a very tactcool company, they are more geared to the construction and trade folk. I was considering the Fire Hose pants as an all around range/utility pants. I usually wear my 5.11 (not thrilled with them), or my BDU's, but shooting prone out here in the desert and be pretty rough on even Ripstop BDUs, and smetimes I just dont think or have the ability to take a shooting mat everywhere. The description says that they are made of the same cotton that covers a fire hose. Sounds pretty tough to me.

Anyone got a pair that they would like to talk about. At $65 a pair, it puts them near designer pants levels.

Re: Duluth Trading cloths

I have three pair. There not worth the money. The fit great material is tuff. Butt I have sent several pairs back for stitching coming lose

I have 5 pair of pants and 3 pairs of firehose shorts. They come with a forever guarantee, in that if you ever wear them out, tear them, stitching comes undone, or you are just no longer happy with them (as with anything D.T. sells), you can return it for a free exchange or refund. You just pay shipping to ship them back, they pay the freight to ship the replacement to you.

I have used said warranty, and it was a very painless experience. I've found that the pants tend to shrink when washed, and for me I had to go up one size in the waist, inseam was ok, compared to other brands of pants I wear. They replaced all the pants and shorts without any fuss. Yes, they did in fact shrink and I didn't gain inches! Any and all returns are sold through their D.T. outlet store at a discount, so they do sell anything servicable again.

The firehose fabric is pretty heavy duty, and is hot to wear in the dead of summer. For Spring, Fall when I help out on a local farm, they take all I throw at them and stand up to some real abuse. If/when I wear them out or tear them on a piece of equipment, I know that they will replace them if I want them to. Yes, the initial price is up there, but you can get them 20% off from time to time, by watching their web site or signing up for catalogs and/or e-mails. If you are willing to contact their customer service when the time comes that you have any issue, box them up and send them in, you'll get your item or items replaced for no more than the postage to send them back.

Just a couple of weeks ago I made a road trip over to their flag-ship store in Wisconsin and was able to see nearly everthing that they list in their catalog and online. Spoke at length with one of the store employees and came away with a strong impression that the customer does in fact come first. The employee stated that if they don't greet every customer within 15 - 20 seconds of coming through the door, they get an ass chewing. The employee also stated that they stand behind all they sell for as long as you own it...... He noted that not alot of people use this warranty if they have used a product through it's useful life, but it is there for those that do wish to. Some people may agree with using the warranty and some may not, but it's there, and Duluth Trading is no doubt making money..... they opened 2 more stores in Wisconsin and rumor has it that they are looking to expand a store or more in Minnesota in the future.

I am a firefighter by trade and can say that they are made of comparable materieal to actual fire hose jacketing. The stuff is very tough, but does soften some with washing. It is also treated with a repelent that shrugs off spills and stains.

Order yourself up a pair - the 5 pocket jeans are made out of the heaviest weight fabric, and give them a try. If you decide you hate them, you'll only be out the price of a flat rate shipping box to send them back.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i0jbBSSRR-A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i0jbBSSRR-A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I've 6 pair of different styles of their Fire Hose pants and have been using them for everyday chores, logging, skidding logs, and building hand scribed log structures with them. In other words they've been used and abused and have held up very well, as is expected in a pants claiming what they claim. They aren't without their scars but every pair I have are still servicable for field use if not suitable for a dinner date.

DTC pants are extremely tough and I've had no problems with stitching coming undone. I'm comparing them to Arborware and Filson as well, not easily torn 5.11's and the like.
I find they breathe better than most heavy duty pants due to the looser weave/coarser thread they have vs. Arborware/Filson fabrics. I like both Arborware and Filson a great deal but after Arborware started approaching Filson prices I started looking elsewhere. Like posted above by MP15, if you keep an eye out you can get DTC stuff for 20% off which brings it back to the realm affordable and below what you can find comparable quality brands at and equal to many a lesser quality brand. Add in the guarantee, which I've yet to use, and I find them to be the best deal going for someone that needs durability, functionality, and economy from their pants.

YMMV

Next question, why the hell is this in the Optics forum?

FUCK! I didn't even notice that. Must have clicked the wrong board. Sorry bout that. Thanks to the mod that moved it.

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I may have a go at a pair.

The Firehose pants are great but order a size larger since they do shrink as noted by a previous poster...

Just picked up a pair of the Firehose flex pants. I have had the regular firehose pants for 2 months now. They are the best work pants I have ever owned. very comfotable too. They do shrink after a few washing's as others have noted. I also picked up there shoreline fleece? Awesome fleece. I believe they have a no B.S. warranty. I think they will take anything and exchange or refund it if you are not happy with it.

I am going to have to check them out!

From duluth I own:

- 4 pairs of firehose pants. Very tough, straight leg 5 pocket style are heavy and comparable to carhart pants. I also have the cargo ones. Lighter, looser, and more comfy. I love em. Use for every day wear plus when I shoot IDPA. Gives me lots of pockets to store stuff.

That is a big thing with duluth, pockets. Everywhere. Comes in very handy.

- 2 shoremens fleece jackets. VERY warm, windproof. Everyday wear in the winter when I am running pizzas.

- 2 waffle henley tops. Very warm, just very long.

- 1 firehose jacket (like a jean jacket). Comfy, lots of pockets, tough.

I have tried their socks, but I find them too thick. Tried the buck naked undies... not a fan of those either.

But all and all, I like their stuff. I would order more often but their prices are a touch high. Been wearing their shoremens through 2 winters and a few threads are coming loose, but not critical threads (like those around the exterior pockets). But other than that, the stuff holds up well, keeps me warm, and lets me move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aolson81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what did you pay, they sound awesome </div></div>

I think I paid around $65 shipped.

Also if you buy something from them they will send you emails of there daily deals... Or so it seems. They do have some pretty good deals once and a while though.