• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dumb question about shooting sling use

AFshooter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
Fort Collins, Co
After searching the Forums for a while I couldn't find an answer so I'm asking now. While using a shooting sling do you have to adust it for each position ( sitting, kneeling, prone)? Cause when I sling up for sitting and kneeling its really steady and not too hard to get into. But, when I go to prone I cant get into posistion, its too tight and I have to loosen it. Any advice?
Thanks,
AFShooter

Re: Dumb question about shooting sling use

to shoot prone you have to loosen the sling. i know this answer seems pretty obvious but i'm not sure there is a better way to answer

A sharpie permanent marker and marks for each position in warm and cold weather solves this problem. You can go back to your appropriate setting at a glance.

Yes, depending on the type of sling you have either count the holes or use a marker. I have never used a sling for off-hand. Ideally the sling will be adjusted to minimize muscle support for the rifle, e.g., most of the rifle's weight will be supported through bone structure and the sling.

+1 on the sharpie. Mark your sling after you get it set for each position. After a while you can start to get the "feel" for it without using the marks.

Yes, I always used a "marksalot" or "inkstick" to mark my sling for each position.

With my TIS Sling I have the cuff setup for off-hand/sitting. If I go prone I use the bipod.

+1 on marking the sling positions.

If you're using leather MRT type slings, just remember after years of use, the leather stretches.

If you look at rifles specifically made for three position smallbore, such as an Anschutz, the cheekpiece and buttstock are quick-adjust, with scales on them. The idea is to have three different settings for the three different positions. That includes the sling.

And, it's a very good question.

No dumB questions. Some of us are just smart asses. The good answers have been provided. To answer your first question, yes.

I am no longer in a hurry and therefore the answers provided suffice.

But, to get more detail you must reword your question. LoneWolf always makes sense...