• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dumb question but need to be sure about elevation.

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
If I have 304" of drop at 1000 yards and my scope has 1/8 click value I need 243 clicks from my 100 yard zero to reach 1000 yards correct? I don't know why I am doubting my math but I want to be sure.

thx Diego

correct me if im wrong, but I think you would be right around 29moa UP elevation adjustment, you have 8clicks per 1moa, so that would be 29 x 8 = ~232 clicks

If I have 304" of drop at 1000 yards and my scope has 1/8 click value I need 243 clicks from my 100 yard zero to reach 1000 yards correct? I don't know why I am doubting my math but I want to be sure.

thx Diego

Last edited:
I might be wrong on this, but the actual math would be 1.047 @ 100yards so, and 100yards goes into 1000yards ten total times, so......

1.047 x 10 = 10.47

your 304" of drop divided by 10.47 = 29.0353moa...... might as well just say 29moa times your 8clicks per moa = 232clicks

Last edited:
BTW, how did you come up with 304" of drop?

I take it you're using a ballistics calculator? and if so, most ballistics calculators usually pump out the MOA adjustment for you.... if your ballistics calculator shows 29moa UP, and your MOA scope clicks are in 1/8 values per MOA (8clicks per minute of angle), then you just times the two for your adjustment (29x8)... if your scope had 1/4 values, then it would be 29x4 = 116clicks.

thx Diego

thx Diego
How do you know you have 304" of drop at 1000yds? Did you measure it or is this the amount that was given on your ballistic calculator? If you actually measured it, then re-measure it with a yardstick and that will give you the drop in Mils. If it is from a ballistic calculation then change the units from inches to MOA. Whatever you do, do NOT count clicks. If your knobs are in MOA, get your dope in moa and dial the dope, do not count clicks. Clicks are meaningless.

I think you might be using 1" @ 100 and why you're coming up with the wrong "click number"...

1moa @ 100yards is not 1".... it is 1.047.... that small error can make a HUGE difference at 1000yards... that small error will produce a 1.375moa error (or about 14.39525" off your target)

Understanding Minute of Angle (MOA) - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube

just what buffy said... use MOA knobs & not clicks. you just count up 29 moa marks on your turret or you will be counting "clicks" all day long

How do you know you have 304" of drop at 1000yds? Did you measure it or is this the amount that was given on your ballistic calculator? If you actually measured it, then re-measure it with a yardstick and that will give you the drop in Mils. If it is from a ballistic calculation then change the units from inches to MOA. Whatever you do, do NOT count clicks. If your knobs are in MOA, get your dope in moa and dial the dope, do not count clicks. Clicks are meaningless.

Last edited:
correct me if im wrong, but I think you would be right around 29moa UP elevation adjustment, you have 8clicks per 1moa, so that would be 29 x 8 = ~232 clicks

You were DEAD ON! right at the X ring! Yes I will stop counting clicks!

Thx Diego

Actually you need to know whether your scope adjusts in ture MOA (1047" at 100 yards) or Shooter's MOA (1" at 100 yards).

Different scopes use the two different MOAs.

The only way to be sure of your elevation at any range but especially at 1,000 yards is to get out and shoot it. One issue that rears its ugly head sometimes is finding your scope is not calibrated and what are supposed to be 1/8 (0.125) MOA clicks are actually 0.132 MOA and yuo do not see this when shooting at shorter ranges. My new Nightforce Competition scope does not have calibrated clicks so it happens to high end and low end scopes. I found out that the clicks are not calibrated by shooting the box at 100 yards with 12 MOA adjustments, and then verified by using a tape measure to measure the actual drop at 100 yards with a 44 MOA adjustment.

29MOA up, Make sure your scope has enough correction to start with. Remember, if your scope has 60MOA built in, usually you only have 30 up, hence the popularity of the 20MOA bases (and the like). In my experience (I know there will be a bunch of guys screaming, "not with my favorite brand") the last few MOA in a scope are "iffee", and if left in a near top or bottom correction- for long periods, can lead to scope problems. You are almost always better off shooting near the optical center of the range, and not the extreme end. Remember, 20MOA at 1000 yards is more than 200 inches (1.047 x 20). Before you start cranking, make sure you have enough to crank!