• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dumb question - DA/pressure and velocity

sacklunch

The Sacklunch Center for Kids Who Can’t Shoot Good
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2023
Texas
In my simple mind, the answer is yes, but what says the experts?

If I need 1800 ft impact velocity for reliable bullet upset (a WAG, I know). And my kestrel here in Texas says I am falling short at the speeds I’m able to get from my barrel…if I take that same bullet and shoot it at 8000 ft, is it safe to assume less drag on that bullet will cause it to keep more velocity farther down range?

To simplify…(acknowledging MSL isn’t DA/station pressure)
500ft MSL - 1730 FPS at 715 yards
8000ft MSL - faster(?) at 715 yards?

In my simple mind, the answer is yes, but what says the experts?

If I need 1800 ft impact velocity for reliable bullet upset (a WAG, I know). And my kestrel here in Texas says I am falling short at the speeds I’m able to get from my barrel…if I take that same bullet and shoot it at 8000 ft, is it safe to assume less drag on that bullet will cause it to keep more velocity farther down range?

To simplify…(acknowledging MSL isn’t DA/station pressure)
500ft MSL - 1730 FPS at 715 yards
8000ft MSL - faster(?) at 715 yards?
Make it high, hot, and dry and it’s even better. (y)

Reactions: sacklunch
You mean high, hot, and wet (humid), I believe.
I don't mean to nit-pik but rather simply clarify something. When considering humidity, less dense air occurs with higher humidity.

edit: it looks like Marine52 beat me to the clarification.
Yes, sorry…was kind of rushing and just got it backwards. Humidity does reduce air density.

Hey, I make a lot of mistakes. lol.

Oh, not sure how this worked but KC-135’s had water injection to increase power for takeoff with a heavy load. In some manner or another, it allowed more fuel to be burned for a given intake of air in the front.

Cheers and thanks for the catch.

Yes, sorry…was kind of rushing and just got it backwards. Humidity does reduce air density.

Hey, I make a lot of mistakes. lol.

Oh, not sure how this worked but KC-135’s had water injection to increase power for takeoff with a heavy load. In some manner or another, it allowed more fuel to be burned for a given intake of air in the front.

Cheers and thanks for the catch.
Shoulda known to take everything from a tanker pilot with a grain of salt😉