• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dumb Question (Heated Brass in Oven)

JsnSanko

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
So after I wet tumble brass I dry it in the oven on the warm setting to speed the process. Didn’t pull it out the next morning, and the wife preheated the oven to 425F to bake something. It was 40 S&W brass if that matters,

Wouldn’t think it would have annealed it like we anneal rifle brass but the color appears similar.

It's probably fine. Annealing is a function of temperature and time. Now @ what temperature does time go to infinity? I don't know. Lowest I hear brass annealing at is ~600F & 1hr

Reactions: brian1
You can search around online for a calculator.

But I believe you would have to leave them in longer than the pre-heat time @ 450 to get them hot enough.

Lol the wife could be a problem.

I had forgotten about the time factor using lower temperatures.

Kind of stupid as I spent years sending things off to heat treat and verifying the documents before presenting them to inspection. Duh

The OP's question was deeper than my thought process last nite.

Apologies for shanking that response as it didn't consider time at temperature.

We worked with very few brass alloys and most were machined at final hardness.

When annealing brass my mind works in seconds as a default. (If at all)

This conversation reminds me of the time my wife caught me washing a potato bag full of shotgun hulls in our washing machine. When she walked in I was sitting on the washer because of the vibration during the final spin :ROFLMAO: It worked so well it took the Winchester logo and wording completely off the hulls!

But she wasn't nearly as pissed as when she found me washing my wire wheel covers in the dishwasher :eek: I would have made it but it could only fit one at a time and took too long and I got busted :rolleyes: but boy you talk about spot free cleaning man that was the best ever.

Last edited: