• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Dumb question I cannot find the answer too

slayer 2c

Still working on it
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2011
    Lost.........
    OK I know I'm gonna catch a ton of flak for this. I've done my best to search so I didn't have to ask and take the inevitable beating that I'm sure is to come, with no luck.

My question is: Will the magnet in a subwoofer damage my scope?
    It will be in close proxcimity for the better part of three days.

Yes I'm one of those guys with the loud systems in his truck.
    No I don't blast rap music while driving through my suburban neighborhood.

<---putting on flame suit, hoping I get a qualified answer somewhere in all the shots!!
    smile.gif

Re: Dumb question I cannot find the answer too

Barring some sort of vibratory abuse...

It depends upon the electronics in your scope. I suspect that the digital type stuff such as a Barrett BORS and the IOR illumination on the new ones will be affected by such a strong magnet in close proximity. I'm not sure of that, just a gut feeling based on seeing how magnetic fields affect electronics...

Given the cost of a BORS, I wouldn't want my stuff to be the guinea pig on that experiment...

The magnetic field in a speaker is confined to the area occupied by the voice coil. The field strength on the outside is minimal in comparison. Magnetic fields only generate voltage when they're changing strength or orientation. These factors mean you're likely safe.

The scope is the new Weaver Tactical 3-15X50 EDMR

And thanks all for the answers so far, I have to put it in the back of the truck do to seating. Normally I wouldn't even worry about id but one of my buddies made the comment how it would be funny if the speaker caused it to not work. So now I'm paranoid about it!!

I had both of my SS 1-4x scopes in my trunk with my 2 subs just the other day. One rifle with sitting on top of the box, the other right in front of it. It did not affect either of them in any way.

I have done this for years with many of my scopes and never had a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had both of my SS 1-4x scopes in my trunk with my 2 subs just the other day. One rifle with sitting on top of the box, the other right in front of it. It did not affect either of them in any way.

I have done this for years with many of my scopes and never had a problem. </div></div>

That's what I wanted to hear!!

Thanks

You'll likely damage your hearing before you damage a well-built, good quality optic with a subwoofer. I think your Weaver Tactical will probably fare ok.

Just don't play the CD with the fat lady singing in that voice that shatters a wine glass over and over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't play the CD with the fat lady singing in that voice that shatters a wine glass over and over. </div></div>

No Fat Chicks.....my lifted truck might scrape!!!

I do however tend to get a little carried away with some Mudvayne on the othere hand
    wink.gif

Thanks all for the words of wisdom, I really was beating myself up over it. Would be just my luck to have my weekend ruined with my own stupidity. As it is I've shut down the amp with my headunit to avoid any unneeded vibrations. Taking the subs completely out is an option and a royal pain in the ass but was going to be my plan if I hadn't heard you good news above.

Thanks again Hide members!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    No Fat Chicks.....my lifted truck might scrape!!!
    </div></div>

I thought you lifted trucks cuz Fat Chicks cant JUMP!!