• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ,,,dumb rookie

cowboy25actual

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2009
today at the range,,i was sighting in my new ss scope,,in my excitement i forgot the blue lock tight,,after my 300 wsm,went, through some rounds,, it start throwing rounds a lil wild,i saw the scope move,and grasped it,, and it wobbled,,bad,, came back,took scope off at ring mounts, and the whole rail was loose,every screw,,,,,i didnt need any yelling at,, i did that myself,, i gave myself a good cussing,,,i think my super sniper scope will do just fine,,as soon as i give it a good base,,level it ,blue lock tight and torque values,,,god i feel like a dumb ass,,,,,anyway ill let you know how it shoots,,, i hate being a rookie,,lol

Re: ,,,dumb rookie

dont use too much.
i had to drill 3 screws out to get a base off because of liberal use of loctite.

Maybe start by bedding the base.

And before using the locktite, maybe look at 'oversizing' the screws. But most definitely, torque them.

I think you spilled some Loctite on the comma button of your keyboard.

perhaps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

yeah i was going to use 242 blue loctite,,and torque them down,,millets saying ,about 60in lbs on rail screws

My favorite reason for buying a Surgeon action.Don't feel bad.I too have had to learn the blue locktite thing for my other guns.

I actually have a funny story about this subject!2 friends and I were shooting at 1000Y with my new 6mmbr.I took 3 shots on the steel painted white and observed 3 strikes within inches of each other.So I said to my bud see how accurate these 6mmbr's are,now you shoot the steel.So he got down prone and started adjusting the side focus and looked back at me and said,Uuh,you might want to tighten this base down.The scope was loose enough to jiggle a little.LOL.The scope must of settled back to the same spot for each shot near as I can figure.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe start by bedding the base.

And before using the locktite, maybe look at 'oversizing' the screws. But most definitely, torque them. </div></div>

Negative, dont go with larger screws unless you really need them. Say you strip one out or go with a more heavy duty base. If you upsize now and strip one you are kinda screwed! you cant go up any more and would have to have the action sent it for possible replacement or to have the holes filled in with a stick welder.

KYShooter, I agree with you.

That is why the key word there (repeated) was Maybe. I don't have the authority to tell anyone what to do, but I can suggest options.

And I will tell anyone, to start with proper torque. That is the beginning. Actually, fit/finish is the beginning, but it sure is surprising how many just go straight to assembly.

well the threads in the reciever didnt look stripped
or anything, ill get a drop on the end with the blue loctite ,242,,ill say this,once i get this lil scope shooting good, i will have learned about scopes, a lil bit,,and i guess as you progress,dist,higher end scopes ,alinement is very critical,,thanks for all the positive input guys!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy25actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah i was going to use 242 blue loctite,,and torque them down,,millets saying ,about 60in lbs on rail screws </div></div>

For the screws that hold the rail to the receiver?

I have always had fantastic results using clear nail polish, works on my ss on my 308 and my leupy on my 300wm

ok i got my lil super sniper hitting 100yrd good,,ill back up later,im on paper hitting the middle,i want to really learn this stuff,id like to take off the scope rezero it,put it back on shoot,with out wasting alot of ammo, i want to be at this skill level,is there any good books you guys can recommend,on scope science,,leaning towards the long range tactical shooter,,thanks