• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Dumb scope question of the day

bruceknoch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
I have a 1-4x30 Hi Lux CMR scope that I love, but occasionally I would like to have a bit more power. Is there any product that can increase the power from the objective side of the scope? I've seen the eyepiece magnifier, but I don't want a huge reticle. Also, I want it to be removable. Would a red dot doubler actually work with a rifle scope?

Re: Dumb scope question of the day

See? That's what we call funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ifixplanes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, you're right. </div></div>

Nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.bulzeyepro.com/optical-boosters.php
or contact Gene Davis at (740) 503-4486
Davis Power-Boosting Lens Insert. He has 2X and 3X inserts. </div></div>
Impressive. Seems like this product can defy the laws of physics in ways that are usually only open to Chuck Norris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.bulzeyepro.com/optical-boosters.php
Impressive. Seems like this product can defy the laws of physics in ways that are usually only open to Chuck Norris. </div></div>
Pretty much the same as voodoo that is used in the I.O.T.A.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2462981&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...941#Post2333941

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pretty much the same as voodoo that is used in the I.O.T.A.</div></div>
Don't see any voodoo there, just a lens with a focal length of ~10 feet in front of the objective, plus an aperture that reduces the detrimental effects to image quality. Set your parallax to infinity and you'll be parallax free at the distance that equals the focal length of the lens. Very much the same principle that is used in a collimator to check scopes for "infinity" at much shorter ranges indoors.

As to my comments on the optical booster in the link above, I didn't mean to say that this doesn't offer advantages for specific uses. Again, this looks like it's just a weak positive lens that magnifies the image, while at the same time sacrificing eye relief. If shortened eye relief isn't a problem, this may be helpful to get a better target image in good light condition. It's just that claims like magnifying and brightening an image at the same time do not comply with the basic principles of physics, and the description is very "creative" overall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pretty much the same as voodoo that is used in the I.O.T.A.</div></div>
Don't see any voodoo there, just a lens with a focal length of ~10 feet in front of the objective, plus an aperture that reduces the detrimental effects to image quality. Set your parallax to infinity and you'll be parallax free at the distance that equals the focal length of the lens. Very much the same principle that is used in a collimator to check scopes for "infinity" at much shorter ranges indoors.

As to my comments on the optical booster in the link above, I didn't mean to say that this doesn't offer advantages for specific uses. Again, this looks like it's just a weak positive lens that magnifies the image, while at the same time sacrificing eye relief. If shortened eye relief isn't a problem, this may be helpful to get a better target image in good light condition. It's just that claims like magnifying and brightening an image at the same time do not comply with the basic principles of physics, and the description is very "creative" overall. </div></div>
I was just being a little facetious. The only way I can see a brightness increase would be a focus of image similar to a magnifying lens focusing additional light to the focal point of your pupil. Then I think that statement could be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.bulzeyepro.com/optical-boosters.php

"These satellite-quality dual-polymer lenses feature our proprietary coatings and manufacturing techniques which offer the ultimate anti-mirage and zero parallax properties that are proven accurate beyond 3,000 miles."

Holy shit, Counter Sniper has some competition!