• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Dummy Rounds for the newby

Skimafia

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2013
Utah
All,

As the title suggests, I am new to the world of long range marksmanship. I am currently working on piecing together my first rig. I am getting to a point where I have some unanswered questions that I figured I would post here.

How does someone determine the most ideal dummy round for a gunsmith to use when chambering a rifle. Being new to this, I still need to learn the art of making the best round in the caliber that I have chosen. I will be doing a 7 SAUM after some discussion with one smith and the people at Stiller. I have a Stiller short action (and I already know, longer is better because of the 180s.....you'll have cycling issues......) and a Manners EH1 for a short action. I am not going to start over. I think that a 168 will be more than idea for my application of making steel ring at long distance and putting a hole in an elk at some point. Will I just want to press out some rounds that will cycle in the bottom metal of my gun and are within the specs in the reloading manual? I assume from there you can work on load development to make the most accurate round. It seems like a chicken and the egg situation to me. How can you best chamber a barrel without knowing the best round to use?