• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dura coat a composite stock

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
I have a Greyboe ridgeback stock . Greyboe said they're stocks don't like cerakote can't take heat above 200 degrees . They suggested Dura coat . Anyone with experience doing this ?

I'm surprised they have never heard of air cure cerakote? Which would work excellent on the stock, Duracoat also works very well, Both are very durable finishes although neither of them are scratch and chip proof.

Reactions: Iron Worker
Yeah my Smith uses the low temp or air dry cetakote on all kinds of stocks.... I'm not familiar with Duracoat, but it seems like a fair amount of guys use it themselves on scopes and composite.

I’ve used all of them with success. Duracoat is fine for stocks as well as air cure (C-Series) Cerakote. I’ve used both. Read up on Cerakote’s curing guidelines. You can cure H-Series at low temp (150 -degrees) for plastics and composites. So you have tour choice of any coating really….

72165506-109D-46E0-B2F2-6B60F6E8A3B2.jpeg

You still risk stock damage even at low temp curing. There is a chance the injection foam will re-catalyze and expand under heat and crack the stock. I believe LRI has commented curing over 300 stocks at low temp without failure, but I cant recall for sure where I read that.

Safest bet is air cure Cerakote or Duracoat, but bake cure can be done at low temps.
Air cure works really well and is very durable.