• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DuraBake?

Smokin

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2007
Houston, Texas
Has anyone used the durabake aerosol product? How does it compare with duracoat? From the way its described it seems to be a more user friendly product than duracoat for those who dont have airbrush setups.

Re: DuraBake?

I did a shot gun with duracoat out of one of those aerosol cans you can add your own paint too.... next time I'll use my hvlp gun but it came out really nice. As far as durabake goes... its oven cured. I would NOT recommend using your kitchen oven to cure it, you dont want paint chemicals near where you cook or eat. You also have the challenge of keeping the show surfaces from touching stuff as you bake it ( I like to hang things).

So that being said, you can spray duracoat with out an airbrush or hvlp gun.

Good thought. Thing is Ive NEVER turned my oven on (typical single guy). In fact, I havent even turned my stove on in almost 2 years. As long as I dont have my kitchen smelling permanently like duracoat, Im happy.

Yup

easy to use

not much better than Krylon.

at $40 a 6oz can after tax and shipping, I'd just buy Krylon instead

I used it on my knob until I got sick of dealing with it scratching off. Now I just use Cerakote

I painted my stainless remington rifle with durabake. It has held up great. You will need to bake it at 350 degrees for at least 20 minutes. Don't even try the lower temp option. And let it cure for a week before you shoot it if you want it to stay.
YMMV-Rob

Ive had krylon on my A2 stock for my NRA Service Rifle. Just looks like shit after a while and solvents are hell on it. Think the Durabake holds up better? Think the stock will melt at 350?