• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Durability

beezaur

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
Reading old posts it seems like the AI AW is hands down the most durable rifle out there (modern 308).

How do the runners-up compare? Sako TRG-22? What parts tend to be the weak links, and what can be done about replacement or repair?

Scott

Re: Durability

For the money that is spent on these, i doubt most shooters who buy them will ever put them in harms way and baby the shit outta em, im sure some do, but thats like asking how durable a Ferrarri is, you're never gonna trash it hard enough to find out...sooo...i would say yes, but its not a mud gun so whats it matter?

The Sako should last you pretty well short of you taking it to a prison yard and using it to break rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beezaur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reading old posts it seems like the AI AW is hands down the most durable rifle out there (modern 308).

Scott </div></div>

"Hands down"? I'm sure there's a few that would argue that with you.

okie

After watching quite a few Ferrari Club meets at Watkins, I can tell you they are not the same as you or I. When they bend the 'rarri, they just back another one off the trailer, "...and away we go...."

Two years back, somebody crushed the front end of a 1953 vintage Ferrari racer in a qualifying heat. Estimates put it at about a couple of hundred thousand dollars worth of damage. Now personally, I have my doubts about anything being damaged worth that much, but the Ferrari restorers seem to be able to command ridiculous fees.

Did you know that the aluminum bodies of a fair number of postwar Ferraris were crafted from alumininum roadway signs that were stolen off the back roads around Modena at night? Some of the truly vintage postwar fenders still have traces of the sign messages on their inside surfaces. 'Authentic' is an interesting word with many separate and interesting meanings where Ferraris are involved.

Greg

Yeah, I personally really like the AI. If I could afford it, I would own one but.......you mean the worlds not flat? It may very well be the most durable rifle, I'm sure I'll never be able to know.

okie

Just look at what the troops that use them 24/7 and put there lives behind. I'm sure their's get fu*ked up also but not too often as i'd think they would dump them. Remington 700 + MST-100 , AI + SB ,, i would say an AI+MST-100 would be very tough.