• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duracoat #27 DM Lizard?

Emilio

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2006
Burbank, CA
Has anyone used Duracoat #27 DM Lizard? Do you have any pictures of what it looks like? The sample they show on line in the exact color that I am looking for but every time I have bought Duracoat in the past they never match up.

Re: Duracoat #27 DM Lizard?

ya, but I really don't care for the color by itself . I use it the mix & match FDE (flat dark earth) plastic color of AICS skins .

FDE Skin color mix ratio is . ( 4-parts desert mint lizard ) -to- ( 1-part desert brown )
Start that ratio then mix, Desert Brown (dark earth) drop by drop to darken. Make the mix just a little darker than you think, as it dries/cures just a little lighter than in the airbrush bottle.

Hard to match the Plastic FDE color but the light yellow-green of the desert mint lizard is needed to make that 'Diaper Gravy Brown' . of the FDE molded-in plastic color .
edit to add:
Looking @ pictures of Duracoat color Tone 'NEVER' looks like the color-tone you shoot out of the bottle on the product in real life. factory Pic. is only a 'fair representation' of color and tone from the bottle.

I like DM lizard I use it allot in desert patterns
guns6.jpg

the barrel is DM Lizard also if you check out the gallery at my website the Surgeon rifle has alot of DML in it.
highdeserttactical.us

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where does everyone here purchase Duracoat for a best price?? </div></div>

Their website. If your lucky like me you can pick it up from their shop on the drive home from college and avoid the shipping
smile.gif

I think its an excellent color. But cerakote is a superior product for gunsmith or trained personnel to apply. Duracoat is more user friendly and easier to work with, in my opinion.

We tend to use Cerakote as a base on metal a lot of times, as well as on AI skins, and then anything on top of that will be our blend which is almost identical to duracoat. Duracoat is a lot easier to work with when you're doing a lot of paint and the fumes aren't nearly as strong. If you're doing Cerakote, make sure that you have a really good ventilation system to get the air moving or it's going to start punishing you, even with a respirator. If you're painting cerakote without a respirator.....wow...just, wow.

The key with any paint is prep. If you have just a bit of oil, dirt, grease or crap under that paint you'll find out soon enough.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We tend to use Cerakote as a base on metal a lot of times, as well as on AI skins, and then anything on top of that will be our blend which is almost identical to duracoat. Duracoat is a lot easier to work with when you're doing a lot of paint and the fumes aren't nearly as strong. If you're doing Cerakote, make sure that you have a really good ventilation system to get the air moving or it's going to start punishing you, even with a respirator. If you're painting cerakote without a respirator.....wow...just, wow.

The key with any paint is prep. If you have just a bit of oil, dirt, grease or crap under that paint you'll find out soon enough.

Branden </div></div>
Are you referring to the air cure version of cerkote? If so then I agree, the air cure is pretty rough stuff, but the H series I would have to disagree. I've found Duracoat to be much worse in terms of fumes than cerakote. The VOC on Duracoat exceeds CA OSHA open air spraying, where as cerakote does not.
Either way a respirator and ventilation system is a must.

How does the air cure Cerakote compare to the H series? I noticed that Gunkotes finishes were quite different between thier formulas.