• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracoat match for AICS FDE?

Stratmeister

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have a barreled action in house to be Duracoated. Its bedded in an AICS 2.0 in their version of FDE. I was hoping some of the Woodland Tan that I already have would be a decent match, but no go.

Has anybody tried to match the AICS FDE to a similar Duracoat color, and if so which one looks best? From my chart the Tactical Dark Earth or maybe the Cavarms Coyote Brown look close, but you know how those charts go...

Thanks for any help,
Strats

Re: Duracoat match for AICS FDE?

The DuraCoat Tactical FDE isn't the best color match for AI FDE, I've never seen the AI FDE in person, only in pictures, but it doesn't look like the DuraCoat FDE to me.

Here's DuraCoat Tactical Flat Dark Earth:
IMG_2651.jpg

After looking at Lauer Custom Weaponry's website I'd check out DM Lizard, Trijicon Dark Earth Brown, or the CavArms Coyote Brown.

Wow, that doesn't look anything like my color chart for Tactical Dark Earth. The color of your barrel on my monitor has a greenish color, maybe its taking on the green of the stock or something. My color chart has a definite brownish tint.

This is exactly why I would like to find someone who has already done a match! Thanks for the input Monkey...

Cavarms is close. I'm between shops right now. I'll get the color you need in the am. PM me if I forget. I can mix an exact match for you if you don't want to mess with it.

Nice job Trigger Monkey. I like the info thread too. The rifle came put nice and clean!

Getting an "exact" match with any factory item is always tricky. The nice thing about DuraCoat is you have a lot of colors available to mix. A contrasting color is sometime the best option.

i also like to know the exact color match to the fde aics. please post with results, by the way nice paint job!