• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracoat off!!!!!!

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
So, I got the brown duracoat off my rifle (700) so I could redo it in black. I had to soak it in MEK and then bead blast it. I ended up having to blast inside the action as well just to get it all off. Question now is do I need to reparkerize it before I go back with the black. I dont want to duracoat inside the action this time and if I dont the action will be bare. So I dont know, should I repark or not.

Re: Duracoat off!!!!!!

Correct it is not stainless steel. As far as blasting, I plugged up the chamber to keep it from being blasted just in case. But as far as I know blasting with glass beads wont affected tolerances. It barely took the duracoat off.

If you blasted with glass beads Duracoat will not stick well to that. You're going to need to blast with Aluminum Oxide for a better bond.

Parkerizing is not a protector. The oil that the park holds is the protector. So the bare metal that has been blasted then oil rubbed into it will be just as good a protector from rust as park is with oil rubbed into it.

The only thing about doing the outside black and leaving the inside in the white is the look.

Duracoat wont bond well to a glass beaded surface? Why is that? The surface of the metal did'nt polish out or anything. It still has a very porus grainy feel to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duracoat wont bond well to a glass beaded surface? Why is that? The surface of the metal did'nt polish out or anything. It still has a very porus grainy feel to it. </div></div>

Doesn’t matter. It may look and feel porous but there will still be areas of the weapon that have had enough polishing done by the glass beads to cause you issues with failure of most finishes.

I have refinished enough weapons with just about every coating available to know not to trust glass beads. Your mileage may vary however.

I would strongly advise not to use any oils or other like product to mask the rifle when you go to paint. (This has been suggested before) Any and I mean any oils on the metal, even from your hands will cause the coating to fail.

Just about 100% of coatings failures are do to poor prep and poor product application including mixing in the case of those needing a ratio of hardener and pigment.

Roger that. I'll hit it lightly with the oxide before i spray it then. Will aluminum oxide be gentle enough in the action not to loosen it up if i just do a couple light passes or should I use the oxide with a low psi.