• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracoat on threads?

Chabrone

Sprayer
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
Thornton, Co
I searched as many of the duracoat threads as I could but didn't see anything about getting DC on threads (muzzle, brake, shroud, action, screws etc). Obviously I am more concerned on the finer threads. I am about to spray my first gun and would like to do the threads but want to make sure it isn't too thick or might scrape off and gunk up the threads. Thought?

Re: Duracoat on threads?

I sprayed mine. At first, I thought I was going to have a major problem when I started to thread my suppressor on. It locked up pretty good after about 1 rotation. I backed it off, and threaded it on again. This time I got a bit more than 1.5 rotations. I kept repeating until I was fully threaded on. It took me 30 minutes or so, but I was also going pretty easy so I didn't ruin anything. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't sprayed the threads. Next time I will leave the thread protector on and spray it that way. Hope it helps.

Won't be a big issue on most parts if you don't get carried away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Won't be a big issue on most parts if you don't get carried away </div></div>
+1
It really depends on how much clearance was cut into the threads as well as how many coats and how thick your paint is.
When I did my rifle I covered up my threads because I didn't want to have isues and my barrel was stainless.
I once seen a 3" eye bolt for a trailer get stripped because the threads were primered and painted. I guy put a cheater bar on it and ruined it in the process.
Just saying.
SScott

Depends the thread fit. I personally wouldn't apply any buildup finish on my threads or shoulder on either end of the barrel.

Thanks everyone. I played with the fit on my brake and it is very tight so I may spray it while installed on the barrel. How do you spray the inside of the brake evenly without getting drips? Or should I even worry about it? I'm not hung up on cosmetics but don't want it to look half assed either.

I dont put too much effort into getting the very inside of the break fully coated. Just use common sense and have a flash light with you to check it over before calling it good so you dont have any shadows hiding misses or anything.

Take your time and be drip cautious you'll be fine.

Those baffles will be black and blasted to hell pretty soon.