• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracoat Shake 'N Spray

OptedOut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
While home for Christmas I'm thinking of using a Duracoat Shake 'N Spray kit to put one color on a synthetic stock.

Those who have used them...what do you think, were you pleased or disappointed?

Re: Duracoat Shake 'N Spray

I have painted several rifles in Dura Coat for customers. I use a cheapy Harbor Freight HPLV detail gun. It has a .6mm tip and when using 20psi at the tip, I can coat a rifle very evenly. I only do solid colors, Purple, Pink, Red and MultiCam Beige and the like.

This method allows the paint to dry in about 30 minutes, sometimes sooner, but it's better to let it sit over night. If you get a drip or rough patch, 1000 grit will smooth it out so you can re coat.

Good stuff, Dura coat. Cures completely in 30 days and is pretty abuse resistant. Also if you change your mind on the color, they sell reducer that will remove the paint and get you back to square one to try another color.

I have used both types of duracoat, spray on with a cheap airgun, and the Shake-n-spray. Using the cheap airgun gave better results, but with more work. The shake-n-spray works good. Only problem I had with it was getting it to coat evenly. I had a few think spots when I got done. Because of this it took a lot longer to dry. If you just want a quick color change to your gun and not that worried about it being perfect it will work well.

I'm not too happy. They sell it as a refinishing item, not as a paint which it is. I "finished" an FAL with it and the stuff chips and comes off too easy. I'm going to send it off to be Cerakoted soon; I have an airbrush and other stuff, but $280 or so to not have to F with something as big and complicated of a pain in the ass as an FAL is worth it.

It sticks differently to different materials, and I can say it doesn't stick too well to a Magpul stock, KAC rail panels or to a SAW grip. Or aluminum. It works best on a fresh park job. I roughed it up and cleaned it with acetone prior to use too, so prep wasn't the problem.

For color, Krylon works just as good, but Hunter's Specialties used to make this removable "Bowflage" that I liked to use in the army before they quit making it. Krylon also comes off easy with citrus paint stripper if you need to where the Bowflage used a spray on remover. You'll need to sand or blast the Duracoat off.

If you do go ahead with it, use VERY thin layers and build them up. It holds up best when done that way.

Thanks guys, since I posted this I've talked with 5 companies that use DC, Gun-Kote and Cerakote and they all agreed DuraCoat was by the best. Two of them had tested the "kits" for Lauer and had no problems with them.

I'm going to give the WWII OD Green a go and see how I like the color.