• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracoating a laminated stock

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
I have been looking at a friends Laminated stock that he is thinking about selling.
The stock is new in the box.
I have some fear that a laminated stock wont stand up to -20 degrees C.
I have also been thinking about duracoating the stock in camoflague since i dont like the color of the stock.
The stock is oiled today and I am afraid that duracoating the stock would lock in the moisture and that it will crack over time.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have been looking at a friends Laminated stock that he is thinking about selling.
The stock is new in the box.
I have some fear that a laminated stock wont stand up to -20 degrees C.
I have also been thinking about duracoating the stock in camoflague since i dont like the color of the stock.
The stock is oiled today and I am afraid that duracoating the stock would lock in the moisture and that it will crack over time.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Get a composite stock!

If you really have to go wood, then my method would be to de-oil the stock.
Dry in oven (~50 C) to get moisture out, then sand down well. After sanding apply a layer of very thin glass cloth (preferably twill/Koeper woven) ~ 80g/m2 with good laminating epoxy resin. Let set at room temp, after curing stick in the oven at 50 for a few hours for further curing.
Sand, fill pinholes, add stippling if needed and then spray with duracoat.
edi