• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Duracote spray gun?

81sfo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2008
    USA HOU TX
    For those who are duracote gurus,which spray guns are you guys getting best results from?Are high quality automotive spray guns ok to use,or is duracote too thick for HVLP automotive spray guns?thanks in advance.

Re: Duracote spray gun?

I use HVLP 20 oz. gravity guns. The low priced version. You don't need anything bigger. I usually only mix up 2 tbsp. max at a time.
    For the mural and airbrush work I have the old trusty Paasche airbrushes.
    You could certainly use a high quality HVLP gun but if you forget to clean it and the DuraCoat sets up you might have to toss it. The consistancy of DuraCoat is about the same as automotive mixtures. I did custom airbrush work on Harleys, autos, helmets, etc... for several years and I use the same equipment for the DuraCoat.

Im thinking of purchasing an IWATA LPH80 mini gun for my duracote projects that i need to do,but was unsure if duracote will flo thru the 1.2 nozzle?if dura cote is same as car finishes then it should be ok then.

That's a nice gun... I use the Harbour freight guns. As long as it has an adjustment for air flow and an adjustment for the spray pattern... The air adjustment is really important.. You only need just enough to allow the DuraCoat to flow.. If you set it like an automotive gun you will loose all your material to the air. A little goes a long way with DuraCoat...

ok got it,so the Iwata is a bit of an overkill?

I use a higher end air brush for automotive work, the harbor freight guns all went tits up for me so I switched and saved more product. Plus it works great for small projects.

I dont mind spending the bucks for the Iwata,because ill only it buy once and get good results,to me its worth it.im not familiar with airbrushes though.

I've been using a Badger 350 ($45) airbrush to spray DuraCoat, Cerakote, KG Gunkote and Norrell's Moly Resin for several years. Short of replacing an occasional tip it keeps going strong and does a great job. No need to spend big bucks, the cheaper stuff will do just fine.

I've got a Binks Wren airbrush (suction feed) and it works well with most of the paints I've used except one of the Brownells bake on paints. I'm only just getting to experiment with it now though , I'm sure that I'll end up moving on to a better sprayer later but for now and the 2-4 guns a year I might do.

How much paint do the Badger airbrushes hold?Ill be coating bolt guns mostly,and maybe my DPMS Saas 308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much paint do the Badger airbrushes hold?Ill be coating bolt guns mostly,and maybe my DPMS Saas 308? </div></div>

I mix one tablespoon of DuraCoat at a time and that's usually enough to get a decent coat on an AR15 or bolt gun. The jars on the Badger are an ounce or ounce and a half I'd guess, always been sufficient for me.

I use MEK to clean up regardless of which product I spray. The better I clean up the better the airbrush works the next time out. I've tried just feeding MEK through it to rinse it and that just doesn't get it done.

SO MEK doesnt counter act with duracote if a little gets left on the airbrush or gun?or do you blow air to dry?I know oil screws the duracote up,mek is safe then?

NO!!! You don't want MEK in the DuraCoat!! MEK evaporates pretty quickly and once I've cleaned it I'll blow air through the brush for 30 seconds to make sure it's all out of there before adding and DuraCoat into the works.

MEK works well as a cleaning solvent and also as a degreaser but it is nasty, nasty, nasty stuff. Definitely use a respirator if you're messing around with MEK!

Methyl-Ethyl-Kill yer ass!!

Any precautions as far as contact to skin or you wear gloves when cleaning?Im used to cleaning with laquer thinner on automotive paints and never wore gloves.I know even laquer thinner evaporates into the blood fast acording to paint experts.
    I also bought some matte clear from the duracote line have you ever used this Phylodog?

I use matt clear on all my stuff. I am no expert, but find that it smooths and protects the finish especially in multi-color shoots. I also use a Badger. Have not used the small HVLP gun in months. JMHO, Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any precautions as far as contact to skin or you wear gloves when cleaning?Im used to cleaning with laquer thinner on automotive paints and never wore gloves.I know even laquer thinner evaporates into the blood fast acording to paint experts.
    I also bought some matte clear from the duracote line have you ever used this Phylodog? </div></div>

It's definitely a good idea to avoid direct contact with the MEK if at all possible. I get lazy with the gloves from time to time but the stuff is really bad and I'm trying to do better.

I use matte clear on every project that has more than one color and most that are just one. It will even everything out nicely and provides an extra layer of material which can take a hit before messing with the color. The clear is much thinner than the DuraCoat and goes on really easy. Be sure to use hardener in it also.

Sorry ftchmup, didn't mean to repeat what you said as if you weren't here. ftchmup's spot on about the clear.

I have a HVLP SATA 95 mini with a 1.0 tip. It lays down the dura coat super flat. Plus smaller tip size uses less material. Differences in spay equipment is how well the gun atomizes the paint. If you look at it as is sprays it will like like tiny droplets the finer the droplet the better the gun. Thats what makes the difference with orange peal. If your going to do a lot of coating i would buy a quality spray gun. They last longer always are able to rebuild them if something happens. My two top favorite spay guns are Iwata or SATA. The Iwata is normaly a bit cheaper but are a bit touchy.But well worth the money. Keep the Iwata clean clean clean. I can not stress that enough. If not it will just spray like another cheap gun. But if kept clean you wont be dissapointed you bought it. Sata on the other hand can take being a touch dirty. Just my two cents hope it helps you out. I sprayed almost two full AKs with I can remember the sizes but i think it was the smallest one the sell. and got on about three coats on all parts.

I found this one locally and got it,im going to see how it shoots the dura cote.Its a devilbiss line called Startingline Minigun,i guess its like an entry level,but I also orderd the Iwata Lph80 from my SnapOn truckguy and should arrive a week.
    DEV-802405-lg.jpg

I too have the Sata Mini gun. Night and day difference between it and the cheap ones.

I just got the whole kit from lauer weapons, seems to work pert good

I use a lower end hvlp gun can remember the name but one thing to think about is LCW recommends a .5 tip I use a .8 and I have found that you get better atomization with lower pressure and less over spray with a smaller tip.

I just did my first batch of duracote using my Iwata airbrush and a SATA mini gun with a .6 nozzle. Everything worked great with no problems. I've been in the body shop business my whole life and I can tell you,"You get what you pay for." The better the spraygun the better application you get and the less waisted material. Hope this helps.

Would you guys with experience mind commenting on metal and fiberglass stock prep. Specifically whether you need to sand blast the surface prior to any duracoat or similar coatings.

The customer service guy at Lauer said it is best but you don't need it. Can you get away with just sanding metal and then degreasing it?

Thanks alot.

Rick

I sand blasted all metal parts.I dont know if it is self etching i just prefer to sand blast. Only problem i could see with just sanding would be deep scratches the paint couldnt fill. I guess if you did sand them dont use heavy grit paper. And on stocks i have never have done them. But you could always use problay 400 -600 grit paper or a red scotch brite pad bought at a local automotive paint supply house or Orielys they do sell some body shop products.

Should I take the metal parts to a an autobody shop or is it reasonable to by the equipment? I looked at it briefly and started seeing the suits that looks like the EOD guys wear and though it might not be worth the trouble.

I dont know your local laws. But at home no paint suit is required. But ALWAYS WERE A RESPIRATOR !!!!!!!!!! If i remember off the top of my head SATA mini runs around $400.00. Not saying cheaper guns wont get the job done. I just personaly think They dont turn as nice of a job and dont last like a quality spray gun. Plus you need to have a compressor. So if budget is an issue look up on the web im not sure but i think there are places you can send your firearm to and let the coat it for you. If it has to do with paint or body im lucky i have the equipment at hand. Hope this helps

Just rough up suface with some sand paper, wipe down with tack cloth etc

Never wore a respirator, still i,m only using a airbrush

Bonus to using airbrush as it puts out so little product real hard to fuk up paint job

I sand blasted the barrel and outside of the action. I use 150-180 grit sand paper on the inside of the action,bolt, and any detailed areas. Make sure that you degrease you rifle before sanding. Take the time on the metal prep it will save you headaches when you start to paint. Don't feel like you have to go out and buy a high end paintgun. I use them because I make a living with them. But there are alot of airbrushes/miniguns out there that will do a good job and save you over half the money. Forgot to say on fiberglass or synthetic stocks I only use 220-320 grit paper. It's a much softer surface and the coarser grits will scratch to deep and show when you paint. Blasting I use aluminum oxide 70 grit @ 60psi. You can you 60-180 grit aluminum oxide, just try on a practice piece of metal before you tackle your rifle.

Regarding the sandblasting.

If I was going to take it to someone locally would it be an autobody shop? Would they have aluminum oxide grit? How long do they sandblast metal for? A couple of passes as if they are painting it or for a specific amount of time.

Why degrease before sand blasting it? Why not afterwards?

I was looking at a sand blasting gun from Northern Tool for 25 bucks. It looks like you just stick the hose in a bucket of grit and hook it up to the aircompressor. Is it as simple as that?

Odds are most body shops will not have aluminum oxide. I didin't till I started coating my own rifles. Degrease before you blast or sand. If you don't as you sand the surface all your grease and oil will get worked into the steal/fiberglass. I use a hand held sand blaster (Speed Blaster). It works good not a lot of waste and not a large blast pattern. Honestly a blasting cabinet works great, but we have sand in ours and it's a pain to change medias.

So you just go outside with the aluminum oxide and don't try to collect and reuse it? How much do you typically use (lbs) for a barreled action and bolt?

Do you think it is worth trying to do myself? It can't be more difficult than using the paint gun I would guess?

No its not that difficult.I use a blue point <snap on>brand handheld blaster and pour some aluminum oxide in there.I probly used less than a pint of it to blast a barreled action.Wear a MASK!!that stuff is very fine and gets everywhere.I stick cotton balls in the chamber and some in the muzzle so they are barelly coming out of the muzzle.just to avoid blasting the rifling.
    19188.jpg

084206060.jpg

Barely 1/4 a hoper full. Don't worry about collecting the media. You can buy 20lbs for 24.87 and that will do alot of rifles. Like 81sfo said were a mask,eye protection. Cotton balls or rubber plugs in the chamber and crown. It's definetly something you can try yourself. Randy has a bunch of good advise www.rdprecision.net He's on here alot and helped me out a bunch my first time. If you have any questions feel free to email me whenever.

Im going to do two rifles soon, my m24 and xm3 style barreld actions,ill take lots of pics.Its really something that can be done at home as long as you have an air compressor to supply the air.
    Dont leave the trigger on the action ,make sure you remove it.The media is so fine it will clog up the inside of the trigger!

Hers a pic of my rem700 5r action before and after blasting with aluminum oxide.
    blasted2.jpg

after
    blasted.jpg

after duracote

m40a1.jpg

Posting a little tutorial on sand blasting would be very very helpful to many of us I am sure.

You guys have me convinced. I am buying a little blaster and some media.

Rick

I forgot to say you defintetly need to remove your trigger and tear down your bolt. Remove firing pin before blasting. Like 81sfo said media goes everywhere. Good Luck.

Im not specialized in this stuff but enjoy doing any kind of work myself.I just want to say, stay away from sand ,i think its too coarse to use on guns,maybe on an old 56 ford truck its ok?If you buy media start out light grit youd be surpised how good it removes old paint.the heavy grain stuff isnt needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do I know when to stop blasting an area?</div></div>
    surface should be clean ,dull and all paint gone.main point of the blastic is to have good clean rust free surface for new coat of paint to adhere so youll see when is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerub-Baal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone suggest a good source for the aluminum oxide material?</div></div>
    Brownells is where i got mine.you might check local stores that specialize in blasting materials or maybe paint stores?

Alright, I'm bracing myself for the possible replies I'll get with this question but....if you don't plan on collecting and reusing the grit, is it acceptable to use actual sandbox sand for blasting? Is it too contaminated?

Go to a true value hardware and buy white silica sand it's cheap I think 4 dollars for around 50 pound bag

When you Duracoat a scope that has a gloss finish how do you prepare it before applying the Duracoat?

I didn't mean to imply I would go out to the sandbox and scoop some up. I was asking if buying new white sand, as jrb572 suggested, was acceptable. (I re-read what I wrote and it sounded pretty bad.)