• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duramag vs. Magpul .308 mags - what say you?

Magpul is definitely the standard, but I’ve been using some of the new Duramags in 556 and 308 for range use lately and haven’t had any issues.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had quality/shady company issues years ago, but they supposedly changed ownership/split companies/something along those lines and are solid now.

My recommendation would be to stick to the tried and true Magpul for HD/Duty type stuff and maybe use the Duramags at the range first for a while before fully trusting them.

Go with magpul. I have 12 and have had no fit or feeding issues with any of them. Duramags have enough bad reviews online that I've stayed away from them. Other options worth looking into are ASC and D&H.

for non-metal, I use hexmags as they've been solid, durable, never and issue, drop freely hell, even drove over one and it still was fine. They are so cheap, they are expendable

D&H is the best of the metal mags in my experience

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JS8588
Go with magpul. I have 12 and have had no fit or feeding issues with any of them. Duramags have enough bad reviews online that I've stayed away from them. Other options worth looking into are ASC and D&H.
I bought 3, 308, flat dark earth coated ASC mags not long ago, and had numerous issues with them. I've used ASC's in valkyrie and grendel with no problems, but not so much in 308.

Reactions: papershredder
I bought 3, 308, flat dark earth coated ASC mags not long ago, and had numerous issues with them. I've used ASC's in valkyrie and grendel with no problems, but not so much in 308.
Good to know. I've been considering getting some .308 ASC's just because of their internal dimensions. Hopefully what @just browsing said above is true and duramag stepped up their game. I'm slowly building up a small KAC mag collection, but once I have enough of those, I'll be buying cheaper steel mags from then on out. I have yet to read/hear one bad review on D&H, but according to other threads here, they do have slightly smaller internal dimensions than KAC and ASC.

Last edited:
Duramags are solid large frame mags. They work in Seekins, Aero, and DD lowers without issues. You can push up, pull down, or let hang and they still feed. Magpul mags work the same although they do limit length if you need that.

Stay away from e-lander mags. They wouldn’t feed in a Seekins at all. They sat to low against the mag release. They don’t feed well in the DD either.

Reactions: JS8588
I'm still in process of my first .308 build. Have 2 each Duramag and Pmags. Duramags don't lock open on empty while Pmags do. Curious if I missed a part or something. Going to start another thread with more info and questions but maybe it's a Duramag thing.

I'm still in process of my first .308 build. Have 2 each Duramag and Pmags. Duramags don't lock open on empty while Pmags do. Curious if I missed a part or something. Going to start another thread with more info and questions but maybe it's a Duramag thing.
Will your bolt lock back on an empty duramag when you pull the charging handle back?

I see no reason to be a beta tester Magpuls just work small frame or large frame.

Reactions: rpoL98
I have tons of magpuls, never an issue.
But, about 2007 or so I picked up a few "blackhawk" branded steel 20 rounders at Sportsmans warehouse in (fuck this spelling) Couer d'alaine???
Idaho and they just run, and run well.
I have never seen them since and Blackhawks page says nothing about them.
I would gladly buy 10-15 more.....but nowhere to be found.

Larue 7.62 mags are also very high quality. I bought some before the prices shot up.

just dont leave them loaded with the covers off right? !?!

i must be the only one on the planet the doesnt like pmags. although my buddy finally got the message. out shooting last week he had a 223 pmag that wouldnt feed after being loaded without the cover for some extended time. i've had a few do that too.

as for 308 mags, the duramags have been working great for me. the ASC's work but the batch i bough had the feed lips a bit too narrow and had to be filed a bit to clear the bottom of the carrier.

just dont leave them loaded with the covers off right? !?!

i must be the only one on the planet the doesnt like pmags. although my buddy finally got the message. out shooting last week he had a 223 pmag that wouldnt feed after being loaded without the cover for some extended time. i've had a few do that too.

as for 308 mags, the duramags have been working great for me. the ASC's work but the batch i bough had the feed lips a bit too narrow and had to be filed a bit to clear the bottom of the carrier.
you're not the only one, I am not a fanboy either. I like metal mags and don't laugh, I like the hexmags. I've yet to have a hexmag fail me and Iv'e dropped, thrown, and abused them and they function

you're not the only one, I am not a fanboy either. I like metal mags and don't laugh, I like the hexmags. I've yet to have a hexmag fail me and Iv'e dropped, thrown, and abused them and they function
1670363331806.gif

i bought a few metal 20rd AR-10 E-Landers, $18. Been using them for a couple of months of weekend range sessions, strictly 6.5CM, Aero M5, no issues at all. Like them enough that I had a couple of them FDE cerakoted, for my FDE rifle. and I bought more of them. Can't never have too many mags.

and I have a shit-ton of AR-308 PMAGs, perfectly reliable. Also have a few steel KAC's, of course, those are The Gold Standard.

ETA:
Feb 2023, seems the price went up to about $24 a pop. yikes! now that's some Bidenflation for you.

Last edited:
I recently had an issue with my MWS suppressed running Pmags. Gun works well with pmags unsuppressed. Totally fine. But add the can and I was having problems.

Basically it wouldn’t feed the top round, as if the magazine was being pushed downward just enough for the bolt to miss the top of the next cartridge. Perhaps the pressurization of the upper during the cycle was able to apply sufficient force for it not to work? Dunno.

Switched to the Lancers I had and no more problems.

Could just be my MWS and some tolerance stacking, but I’ll be buying Lancers from now on.

i bought a few metal 20rd AR-10 E-Landers, $18. Been using them for a couple of months of weekend range sessions, strictly 6.5CM, no issues at all. Like them enough that I had a couple of them FDE cerakoted, for my FDE rifle. and I bought more of them. Can't never have too many mags.

and I have a shit-ton of AR-308 PMAGs.
Those E-Landers wouldn’t feed in my Seekins unless the magazine was pushed up inside the rifle. They would feed most of the time in my Daniel Defense. They sat way to low in the receiver. They had to go. Pmags and Duramags feed in the DD, Seekins, and Aero.

Those E-Landers wouldn’t feed in my Seekins unless the magazine was pushed up inside the rifle. They would feed most of the time in my Daniel Defense. They sat way to low in the receiver. They had to go. Pmags and Duramags feed in the DD, Seekins, and Aero.
that's why I edited my post to specify it's an Aero M5 rifle. works fine for me, across a couple of different Aero M5 lowers.

that's why I edited my post to specify it's an Aero M5 rifle. works fine for me, across a couple of different Aero M5 lowers.
I didn’t have my aero when I had the E-Landers. Good to know they work with them.

Reactions: rpoL98
i bought a few metal 20rd AR-10 E-Landers, $18. Been using them for a couple of months of weekend range sessions, strictly 6.5CM, Aero M5, no issues at all. Like them enough that I had a couple of them FDE cerakoted, for my FDE rifle. and I bought more of them. Can't never have too many mags.

and I have a shit-ton of AR-308 PMAGs, perfectly reliable. Also have a few steel KAC's, of course, those are The Gold Standard.

three AR-10 mags: gloss black E-Lander as purchased, gray KAC, and FDE-cerakoted E-Lander. white follower = E-Lander, black follower = KAC. just FWIW.

0Epa9bS.jpg

O2eIzCs.jpg

vby9mUn.jpg

MMAbSdS.jpg

smpDMP4.jpg

KYJihPa.jpg

6PYVcQx.jpg

ETA: took a caliper to the mag, inside length (cartridge length) is 2.853", 2.830" at the the short flap at the overlapping seam weld.

update: $24 a piece now, Feb 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: bfoosh006
What is the spring in the e lander like? I bought some of the "Ruger" duramags and they work fine loaded to 17-18. Pmags run 20 no problem.
tbh, i've only loaded it to 20 a couple of times, just because it gets expensive, and too easy to go through a whole mag with a semi-auto. I don't reload, yet. Just range shooting.

anyways, it works fine with 20, and it's not thumb-busting to get 20 in there, didn't need to bust out my AR-10 MagLULA. 21 don't fit.

not sure if that answers your question about the spring.

I've got plenty of PMags and they work just fine, but my favorite alternative are the HK Maritime coated steel mags they made for the HK417/G28 that have been imported.

Same goes for small frame stuff, the HK and E-lander Maritime coated steel mags are reliable as all get out, and solidly built.

Might be worth checking out.

I have a bunch of KAC and Pmags that I run in my MWS's and SR25 with no issues, but I would give pick up a few to mess around with considering the price.

Any one know the cartridge over all length on the E Landers?

ACS 20's were nothing put problems, cut a coil and re bent the spring and got them to work, But not reliably. They issue I see is the plastic bit(follower) that goes between the spring and the cartridge doesn't sit flat allowing the cartridge to bind base down. When the bolt comes forward it misses. By cutting a coil out of the spring and bending, they can be made to work. Still not something I would trust. The 5/10 rounder worked just fine

Tried a couple dura mags all but one worked fine out of the bag, its feed lip had been bent. Played with it and they work.

Magpuls run but the 2.81 length in the 20 round mags becomes an issue. I have a load for one rifle that really likes 2.86 length. I have modified a few duramags to do this. The jew in me won't pay $100 for a damn stamped steel mag from the Gucci manufacturers, that is ridiculous.

Last edited:
You mean the Elanders that are black coated for 18 bucks?
Yep, they use the same coating spec as the HK stuff, basically the israelis know a good thing when they see it, and the e-landers are essentially clones of the HK/KAC maritime setup.