• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing dust collector for blasting cabinet

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I have a HF 40# blasting cabinet that I'm running AO in. After a few times of use I have dust all in my garage. What can I do to reduce the dust in the cabinet and in my garage? I hooked a shop vac to it, but it almost sucked the gloves out of the cabinet. And the vac sounded like it was straining for air. Thanks for any help.

Re: dust collector for blasting cabinet

You could vent the cabinet outside, with a 4" dryer hose/wall vent kit. Don't know what vent is on the cabinet, but there has to be something to let out the air from the compressor.

A shop vac will work, you need to have an air inlet to allow pressure to equalize. My cabinet has a 4" hole through the side with a cover to keep the media from flying out but allows air to come in. I dont use a shop vac, I can stand the noise. I have a 110 volt blower motor vented through my shop wall. I put a scotchbrite filter over the inlet in the cabinet to keep more media in the cabinet. Works well for me

Just FYI, I ruined a perfectly nice Shop Vac hooking it up to my blasting cabinet. The fine grit worked its way into the switches somehow and it will not shut off unless you unplug it.

Use one of these: Oneida industrial dust deputy

or on the less expensive end, there's the DIY version to be used with a home depot bucket and lid: Dust Deputy DIY

And if you're using a shop vac, make sure it has a HEPA filter on it. If you're using an industrial dust collector, the motor and fans should all be protected from any particulates.

Also, AO powder/dust is bad for you...even when using a good well made cabinet I'd recommend wearing a respirator...when using a shitty harbor freight one I'd say wear a respirator and do not take the respirator off until after you have been hosed down to remove any loose particulate in your hair, clothes, and skin.

--Wintermute

I just bought a squirrel cage dust collector from Menards. Ran me $250 (clearance) and has 1250cfm of suckin power. 110v ac so its nice that it'll just "plug and play".

I'm using it in my cnc mill to mitigate dust from stock work. Might work for a cabinet too.

Good luck.

C.

I was fighting the same thing a couple months ago. I bought one of the badboys dust collectors and it is 95% better. If you plan on doing a lot of blasting and want something that will provide years of service, spend the money and get a good one.

Kc

Ugsly,
I've been using the Badboy premier blaster and it throws ao all over my shop. No media in the filter or in the bottom of the collector but it's all over the top of the cabinet... damn thing blasts great tho. Which collector/ cabinet are you using.

I got the Model BB-BV Vacuum dust collector from bad boys and have the grizzly G0472 Cabinet Sandblaster. Only problem is I need a bigger cabinet :p

Kc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use one of these: Oneida industrial dust deputy

or on the less expensive end, there's the DIY version to be used with a home depot bucket and lid: Dust Deputy DIY

--Wintermute

And if you're using a shop vac, make sure it has a HEPA filter on it. If you're using an industrial dust collector, the motor and fans should all be protected from any particulates.

Also, AO powder/dust is bad for you...even when using a good well made cabinet I'd recommend wearing a respirator...when using a shitty harbor freight one I'd say wear a respirator and do not take the respirator off until after you have been hosed down to remove any loose particulate in your hair, clothes, and skin.

--Wintermute </div></div>

Great info.
cool.gif

Regards, Paul.

The BB looks like a nice dust collection system at a good price. I'd still probably put a dust deputy between it and the cabinet though (the DD's work amazingly well and they're not real spendy for what they provide).

One other thing on a cabinet is that you have your outlet (connected to your dust collector/vac system) and your inlet (allows air flow into the cabinet). If you are running an open inlet, you should put a foam baffle on it of some sort and make sure that every inlet has a baffle. Even with the vacuum creating a negative pressure inside the cabinet, if you don't have a baffle in place then particulate matter will escape through the inlet.

--Wintermute

Skat blast had a sale just recently, thinking it is still going on. Check em out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This set up works well......

http://fwd4.me/0j77 </div></div>

I like the truck bedliner trick for the inside of the HF cabinet. Probably something everyone with a cheap cabinet should do.

The dust deputy works better than the bucket with one tube in and one out (tried that method previously).

--Wintermute

Thanks, I'm going to have to try that. Just setting up a cabinet now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This set up works well......

http://fwd4.me/0j77</div></div>

I've set up several different blast cabinets and blast houses ( some are 40' x 20', very large, some are cabinet size ). ALL had dedicated dust collectors, NONE keep it out of the shop. Best thing we can do, is build the blast functions in a seperate, special building, as far from the machine tools as possible. Dust from that gets every where, into welding machines and milling machines, and it plays hell with them.

I want to put a blast booth at my home shop - but don't want to deal with the mess.

Mike I am thinking that....a positive pressure room vented outside.

Another +1 for this setup, as well as the bedliner. I have a cheapie HF unit but haven't used it yet. Looks like I won't before I make these mods.

Thanks for the tip!

some excellent suggestions here. Definitely goes hand-in-hand with our homemade cabinet from a 45 gallon drum.

I had to take my cabinet apart and replace the light that grizzly had in there. I put a small vapor tight T5 light, works great! When I put it back together I put silicone on EVERYTHING before it was put back together. The small leaks are all gone. Buy the good silicone and not the cheap stuff, you'll only need to do it once. Now with the dust collector hooked up everything in the shop stay very clean.

Kc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugsly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything in the shop stay very clean.

Kc </div></div>

You are not using your cabinet 16 hours a day. Or having six of them going. The dust is a constant thing. What you did will work for a couple days, but not for regular use.

It's a battle of sand and rock against gasket.... eventually the sand wins...

Yes for a hobbyist like me it will be fine. I have quite a bit of run time on it and haven't seen any leaks yet, Time will tell. What kind of setup would you suggest Mike?

Kc

A small portable building next to your shop - keeps the abrasive dust out of things it is not good for. That is the best thing.

I have seen a 20' shipping container with four blast cabinets in it, outside, next to the shop. Large dust collector ( cyclone type, pretty efficient) attached. Nothing grew next to it, ground covered in grey dust.

Keep in mind, a 99.9% efficient collector, loses a pound, for every 1000 pounds you run thru it. Very damn few are even 90% efficient. It's just math, works the same way every time.

My "Dust Deputy" just arrived today. I'll be working on a new stand for my cabinet and will try and work this into the build.

I've also been using a "drywall dust" bag in my shop vac and it definitely keeps the filter clean and will keep the motor running longer.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I'll check out all of the links and suggestions. I hooked a cheap shop vac to it this week and the motor bearing are already crying for mercy. And after about an hour of blasting it was spraying AO straight through it. I had better visibility in the cabinet though. :)