• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dusty cleaning media??

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
I run walnut media, and I was wodering if there are any additives or solutions that can be added to reduce the dust? After cleaning with a virating tumbler, the cases are very dusty and have to be wiped down. They were never this dusty with my older rolling tumbler, but the virating bowl is much faster.
Would Iosso, Flitz, or any other products cut down on the dust? (And yes, 427Cobra, I've tried the orange car polish bottle!)

Re: Dusty cleaning media??

Dillon has a liquid product that works. I haven't been satisfied with any additive, though. I just use the cheap media (not the stainless steel stuff), tumble dry, and change my media more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't been satisfied with any additive, though. </div></div>
Me either. That's why I'm asking to see what seems to work the best. Overall, is the Iosso or Flitz better?

Dryer sheets do work temporarily.

And your brass comes out smelling clean and fresh.
laugh.gif

Add some Iosso Brass Case Polish Liquid and used dryer sheets cut up in combination.

The dryer sheets do help a lot. Just chuck them after each tumble, helps keep the media cleaner also.

ChadTRG42,
I use a pump spray bottle with odorless mineral spirits.
Before I put the brass in, I cut the machine on and give
About three good sprays across the media and let mix.
After about a minuet, I turn it off, add brass and lid.
It rejuvenates any additive and keeps dust down.

Use a bottle that had a heavy duty cleaner in it or
a new one from the yard-n-garden center. I have found that
some of the pumps don’t hold up. (Windex for one, didn’t last long)
HTH
Tater

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't been satisfied with any additive, though. </div></div>
Me either. That's why I'm asking to see what seems to work the best. Overall, is the Iosso or Flitz better? </div></div>

I have been using liquid Flitz for years...no dust,no ammonia,no residue,and it taste great
grin.gif

Chad,
About 10 minutes before you remove the brass, dump in a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol and close the lid.
Cases will come out shiny and clean.

SS media, alcohol bath and your ready to load, the ultra clean brass IMHO needs some sort of dry lube in the necks for consistent bullet release, I ordered the NECO dry lube kit but dam if somebody can't answer a email on why it hasn't shipped yet, I bought some dry graphite lock lube and that made a difference in seating forces but I have not had the chance to chrono these loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS media, alcohol bath and your ready to load, the ultra clean brass IMHO needs some sort of dry lube in the necks for consistent bullet release, </div></div>
I hear you! This is exactly why I don't use SS media. It gets the brass too clean. I hate loading on virgin brass for this reason, and brass cleaned this way will act like virgin brass. It will be "sticky" when you seat a bullet. I want a nice smooth entrance. (!!) I like the remaining carbon in the neck to have a constant lubricicity in the neck.

I'll try the rubbing alcohol, and see how that does first. I have it on hand now. After that, I'll look at the Flitz and iosso.
Thanks, guys!

Chad

Just go to corncob then. I quit using walnut years ago because of all the red crap left everywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS media, alcohol bath and your ready to load, the ultra clean brass IMHO needs some sort of dry lube in the necks for consistent bullet release, </div></div>
I hear you! This is exactly why I don't use SS media. It gets the brass too clean. I hate loading on virgin brass for this reason, and brass cleaned this way will act like virgin brass. It will be "sticky" when you seat a bullet. I want a nice smooth entrance. (!!) I like the remaining carbon in the neck to have a constant lubricicity in the neck.

I'll try the rubbing alcohol, and see how that does first. I have it on hand now. After that, I'll look at the Flitz and iosso.
Thanks, guys!

Chad
</div></div>

Interesting....clean can be "too clean"........

yeah that's what I tell my wife about the gun room

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">427, I know you hbn coat. Doesn't that take care of the dry lube part? </div></div>

Casey I no longer coat my bullets because I'm not pushing 155's at 3050 anymore, 139 Scenars at 2800 is plenty

I use a 50/50 mix of corncob and walnut with some polish,I think a used dryer sheet works better than a new one ymmv,the most I let my brass run is an hour,once you tumble YOUR brass not some crudy range pickup brass it doesnt have to be tumbled very long to clean it up

Chad, I've been using the purple Dillon polish that Graham was talking about and have been very happy. A half a capfull in walnut media seems to do the trick.PS, PM me your address for that bottle of Michigan wine I promised you at the Bash.

Cheers!
Stiggy

I'm polishing brass right now and realized why mine come out clean. i leave the top off.