• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Duty flashlight recommendations/opinions

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Well I'm in the market for opinions, recommendations, etc for a new flashlight. This will be used on patrol and must be dependable. I'm looking at a few, which I'll post later, but my requirements are, but not limited to, dependable, use RCR123A 3.7v batts (already have them) so 3-9v, I like the option to have multiple lumen outputs as no two situations are the same and clearing a house with 200lumens is hard on you're eyes as well, Cree bulb (a must), priced less than $100, I like crenulated bezels (absolutely not required), as many lumens as possible for distance/outside use (or blinding people), decent run times for the output, and priced in my budget! SO effectively I want an awesome light for no money, j/k, but I do want the best possible light for my money. Yes my department has streamlights in our units, but they suck and if the guy before you doesn't put it on the charger, well you're screwed!

So what I'm looking at right now is the Quark Turbo 123, 420lumen, switchable lumen options, 3-9v operation range, strobe, somewhat compact (I like to carry it in my front pocket), and priced at about $85 (4sevens.com).

Olight M20s, 500lumens, less switchable options, unknown voltage range (which is a big concern so I don't have to buy new batteries), also somewhat compact, and priced at about $100 (4sevens.com)

Olight I6, 360lumens (I think), limited switchable capabilities, also unknown voltage range, compact for easy carry, priced at about $65 (4sevens.com)

I've looked at others and am still undecided. I'm looking for opinions or reviews of experience with these lights or experience with these companies. I've found them cheaper elsewhere (ebay), but at the same time, I know that 4sevens will take care of me if there is a problem. I am currently using a Nitecore SR3, which has a magnetic setup that switches the lumen selection, but it is suffering from questionable reliability. I am waiting on an answer from Nitecore on repair parts or service. I am betting that it will probably be cheaper to simply buy a new light! I know that there are a lot of Surefire, Streamlight, Insight, etc fans, but most of these are an on/off type light and those are fine, but I just like the option of choosing my output to fit the situation. I like to have more lumens then is really necessary, but I am not really set on a number. My current light is 220lumen and in most cases supplies plenty of output. I also have a streamlight ultra stinger, with a 350 lumen Cree conversion bulb, but it's simply to big to carry in a lot of situations. I use it mostly on accident scenes or search type incidents (outside). I also have a streamlight pocket light (1 AA) that works good for low light, such as reading licenses and such. I need a multipurpose light for in between. I typically carry at least 2 lights on my person at any given time, so I prefer something that will fit easily in my front pocket. Thanks for your time and information, Jason

Re: Duty flashlight recommendations/opinions

Never heard of the companies you mentioned. All my flashlights are surefire, every time. The newer 6PX and G2X Pro's have variable switch's .

I've looked at the 6px and it's on the list of possibilities. I like the reliability of the surefire brand. I've never owned one, but I'm contemplating it. The one thing I don't see in surefire is that they don't use a cree bulb. Not sure if there is a reason for it, but it's a really nice white light, not that yellow stuff, it seems to reach further than a typical led, and it uses less power to do so. I'm just kind of sold on the whole cree bulb thing, but it's not a deal breaker. All I can say is that I'll never use anything that is at least not an led setup!

all I can say is that there will be no more of that yellow light crap for me. I've thought about going a similar route to what you carry, but I'm not up to snuff on what surefire stuff interchanges and such, so I haven't messed with it. I'm hopeful that I can simply buy a flashlight an put it in my pocket, which I can rely on everyday. The Nitecore used to be that light, but it's not so much anymore and working nights, it's a sinking feeling to go to a call and then your light not work when you get there. You know that you can't just call time out because your lights not working. I've been fortunate enough to be able to smack it and it comes on, but I'm not gonna risk anything hoping that my light works when I really need it!

I love my led stinger but it's a bit over $100 for one with the charger and all. Very bright, normally get 2-3 eight hours shifts out of it if i use it a lot before having to recharge. I think it was $120 for the light and a charger with a home and car plug.

My agency issues us streamlight stingers...they are not so good.
I used to use a Laser products (surefire) 9n Commander which is a little big.

Currently use surefire 6px pro. dual output, led ,indestructable . I use a HSGI Taco as a holder for the light. Works perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boattail308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My agency issues us streamlight stingers...they are not so good.
I used to use a Laser products (surefire) 9n Commander which is a little big.

Currently use surefire 6px pro. dual output, led ,indestructable . I use a HSGI Taco as a holder for the light. Works perfectly. </div></div>

Weird, I have never had issues with mine and most officers I know have them and havnt had issue. Those who have had issue have had the light 4-5 years or more. I didnt like my poly-stinger but my alum led one is great. One of my partners has had his for 5+ years and just recently replaced the original battery.

I am going to suggest you look at rechargeable lights.

I work at night. If I used a CR123 powered light as my primary I would need to work overtime to pay for the batteries.

I currently use a Streamlight SL35. It's powerful and built like a tank. I keep the charger in my car and if I have a particularly long evening I can drop it back into the charger and get a boost. The SL35 is a big light, but the size allows me to tuck it under my arm and keep my hands free. The size and weight also allow it to be used extremely effectively as an improvised impact weapon when needed.

I keep a Surefire G2Z LED conversion on my belt. I keep a Surefire L2 in my bag as a backup. They are great lights and work when needed, but the SL35 works better for general patrol.

Don't leave out the Streamlight Strion LED. It is compact, rechargable, and has almost the same output as a Stinger. The Strion LED uses the Cree4 "bulb" as well. Variable light settings include high, medium, low, and strobe.
I've had mine for about three years now with no problems at all. I carry it everyday on duty as well. The ONLY thing I don't like is, when the battery goes dead, it is DRT. No warning!

Been using a Stinger LED for awhile now. Don't get the strobe light feature it's stupid and you don't need it for anything. You'll need light and click it wrong and it'll start strobing.

I picked up a Surefire A2 Aviator from the 2010 Bash. Gave it to my buddy who's department uses Streamlights. Now the whole department is converting to Surefires. My .02

My life certainly does not depend on a flashlight but this is what I use for hunting and, for my purposes, rank it over the Surefire's I've had.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton-scap.html (the strobe function may be useful to you)
Battery Junction has been a good place to deal with in my experience.
If the M20 interests you and $100 is your budget this looks like a good deal.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/combo-olight-m20sx-chrg-kit.html
Lastly, because you can't have too many flashlights I'm really thinking about this one
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m31-triton.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been using a Stinger LED for awhile now. Don't get the strobe light feature it's stupid and you don't need it for anything. You'll need light and click it wrong and it'll start strobing. </div></div>

I use it with the cone for directing traffic.

Thanks for the info guys. Lots of good recommendations, but I just haven't decided yet. I'm still waiting on Nitecore to respond to see if I can get a new bulb package, but I'm still figuring to buy another light either way. Thanks, Jason

I recently purchased a quark from 4sevens (can't recall model right now) and it is great for the price. That said I agree with a rechargeable for patrol. I have the LED Stinger and like it. I also keep a 5.11 light in the car. The fast recharge (90 seconds from dead) is handy on long outdoor scenes at night.

I guess I am outdated. I have been using the same streamlight SL20X for the last 10 years. It still has the incandescent bulb. It works fine and can also be used as an impact weapon. I also carry a streamlight led stinger and a surefire G2 defender on my belt. remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

TacticalJ, after carrying a Blackhawk Gladius for patrol duty for the last 3 years, I was looking for a higher output light as well. I am extremely satisfied with my current setup: Klarus XT10 as primary, and Novatac 120T as backup. Both have easy to access strobe and variable output - but both always start-up on highest output, then you can reduce.
The XT10 is a tank and is a great searchlight. The strobe is unbeleivable. The Novatac is a tank also, but is easily tucked away and has a great low.
My requirements revolved around a strobe, which if you've ever been alone in a dark room with an aggressor, you know is very effective. Surefire just doesn't offer anything with a strobe.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?318749-Klarus-XT10-Tactical-Light-review

Additionally, I also own an Olight M21. While it is a good, bright light, it requires two hands to activate the strobe. This was a deal-breaker for me.

Make sure it's rechargable, you'll go broke buying batteries if you work alot of nights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure it's rechargable, you'll go broke buying batteries if you work alot of nights. </div></div>

I second that.. my weapon light runs on 123 and so does my back up light but I rarely use ether.

I was strictly a SureFire guy for many years. They are a quality light, for sure.

I picked up a 4Sevens Quark Tactical and have been carrying it on duty for nearly 2 years now. It is compact, bright, rugged and programmable for two of 6 possible modes. The new "X" models are even brighter on the highest setting. It uses a Cree LED and CR123 battreies. I really like it and have had good luck with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My requirements revolved around a strobe, which if you've ever been alone in a dark room with an aggressor, you know is very effective. Surefire just doesn't offer anything with a strobe.</div></div>

Maybe I am just trained a little differently, but in a room with an <span style="font-weight: bold">aggressor</span>, alone or otherwise....standing off and flashing a flashlight at them is not going to be one of my courses of action. Unless of course that flashlight is hanging under the barrel of my weapon or TASER. Then we can have a conversation about the next stage of our interaction.
wink.gif

To clarify, the strobe is only useful for a few crucial seconds - those needed to buy you time to grab either taser, OC or transition to weapon. I don't expect it to be a stand-alone tool. That is also why I need to be able to activate it with one hand - because my other hand will be busy.
For better or worse, I don't make every contact with taser in hand, but at night or in a house, I will almost always have my light in hand.

A good dependable light is an essential tool for me. The strobe function has several uses, whether it be temporarily blinding or used to help try and decrease the possibility of a subject locking down on your position, which is what I like about it. On the rechargable battery part, well I got that covered because my cr123's are rechargable and that's why I need a light that will function with what I have. I would not buy a light and attempt to feed it $10 every week or so, as that is absurd. We have the streamlight stinger's in the patrol car, but more often then not the day shift guy (who never uses it) hasn't had it on the charger and I'm not looking to take that chance. I carry 2 lights on me at all times and sometimes 3 if I know I'm gonna be out of my unit for an extended period of time. I take care of my stuff and keep it charged or extras batts in my pocket for a quick refill. Thanks for the new options fellas and keep them coming. I think I might need to register at candle power, I've been there before, but I don't think I'm a member. The big thing I don't want is a complicated multifunction light. The SR3 I have now is simply. I can change it on the fly and I leave it on the brightest setting, plus it fits in the palm of my hand for a one handed carry. It works fantastically for a striking weapon if necessary as the bezel sticks out just a little beyond my hand and makes a nice dent, believe me!

Look at the Olight M20 Warrior.
Runs on 2xCR123A
320 Lumens on high
It has 3 levels of brightness and strobe.
The end button turns the light on/off

A side button selects what level low/med/high the light will light on when the end button is depressed

Without the light turned on the side button activates the strobe function. All one handed operation

Here is a link to a review.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...LED-COMPARISONS

Also the M20X is a 500 lumens version for about the same price with both under $100.

We are issued two lights, the rechargeable streamlight, full size and the G2Z w/LED bulb and the Surefire V70 holder. That way you always have a light and most of the time, two. SWAT, K9, Motors, Mounted, etc have a third, weapon mounted.

I have used most of the popular duty lights - rechargeable and 123 batts. I've been using the Pelican 7060 (the LAPD light) for the last two years and absolutely love it. It has dual switches,an incredible throw, and is built like a tank. I work nights and use it on virtually every call and still only need to recharge it about once every two weeks. I was a Surefire snob, but all things considered it has performed much better for me (in a patrol capacity). I keep a Surefire for backup now.

The m20 warrior is on my list and it is essentially the same as what I listed, from what I can see anyhow. Some small differences, but that's it. I hadn't even thought of pelican. I've seen some of their lights but never actually used one. Another to look at now. Thanks guys

The only time I 'strobe' is the temporary on/off with my weapon mounted light. But its not fast like a strobe, its more of a look at an area them move. The only time I've seen the strobe feature useful was traffic direction at night, getting drivers attention.

If I was in a room with an aggressor, forget the flashlight and get the weapon out. Most of the time when clearing a dark room my weapon is out, I would not take the time to strobe him, use that time to move, draw weapon, something important.

I'm usually using my strobe function for clearing and yes my firearm is out when doing this. I don't think that he was stating that he was only using his light for a weapon, but simply stating that its a fine use of a strobe function. Strokes will disorientation people and allow them to not be able to see you or at least get a good fix on your location. If you're not using a strobe, I would suggest that you try it. The only time I don't use it is when I'm working with one of our officers that has had seizures in the past. They work well and I guess if all I got to defend myself with is my light, then that's what I'm gonna have to use.

I'm usually using my strobe function for clearing and yes my firearm is out when doing this. I don't think that he was stating that he was only using his light for a weapon, but simply stating that its a fine use of a strobe function. Strokes will disorientation people and allow them to not be able to see you or at least get a good fix on your location. If you're not using a strobe, I would suggest that you try it. The only time I don't use it is when I'm working with one of our officers that has had seizures in the past. They work well and I guess if all I got to defend myself with is my light, then that's what I'm gonna have to use.

I use a stream light stinger with c4 LED for patrol. I've never not had it be bright enough. I was switched to a new shift who had not seen it yet. When I turned it on the officer said "holy shit what light is that I gotta get one". Has strobe and three output modes if I want them. I use the metal one not the poly stinger. I have three batteries with one wall charger and one piggyback car charger so I always have juice. For room clearing I use the tlr1 attached to my weapon. Get the stinger if u don't like it I'll buy it from u.

Rechargeables are the way to go for day to day general use. I use a poly-stinger with an LED conversion. It works really well. I've used it to spot bears in trees as far away as upto 100 yards.

For weapons mounted lights I use Surefire lights. CR 123 batteries are quite expensive, but there are deals out there to be had.

LEDs are great, but don't work for crap with infrared filters for use with night vision.

I agree with eariler, strion recommendation. It IS as bright as the standard stinger just much smaller. Only two downsides 1. Not really much of an impact weapon. 2. It doesnt dim when its
about to be outta juice it just dies. *Charge does last awhile and doesnt take long to recharge though.
If you are set on getting a 123, you may want to check out fenix as well. Only bad thing is they aren't USA but make a nice light. LAPG has decent prices on'm. I have one similar to this model and its a great light:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/fenix-tk11-tk-11-flashlight.html

led lenser l7

amazing light, durable, no weight. they'll replace my maglite now

I am old school here so may not be what your looking for.

I used a Stremlight SL20 for 25 years. The rechargeable light saved its cost so many times I can not count.

1. No batteries to change weekly and you get around 3-5 years out of the rechargeable before it needs replacement.
2. Plenty of light to use for searches and traffic stops.
3. Durable as all hell
4. Back up impact weapon

I also carried the plastic version of the 6p in my breast pocket for a back up light and for weapon out searches.

Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a stream light stinger with c4 LED for patrol. I've never not had it be bright enough. I was switched to a new shift who had not seen it yet. When I turned it on the officer said "holy shit what light is that I gotta get one". Has strobe and three output modes if I want them. I use the metal one not the poly stinger. I have three batteries with one wall charger and one piggyback car charger so I always have juice. For room clearing I use the tlr1 attached to my weapon. Get the stinger if u don't like it I'll buy it from u. </div></div>

I've got the Singer LED DS (not sure if its the C4) but I hav had issues with the switches. It has a tail cap switch and a standard switch on the body. Using any of the switches it is down and up for on, slightly down for momentary, down 2 times quick for strobe and hold down to cycle between the 3 intensity levels. In the winter if I leave it in the squad it has problems with the switches. One switch, for what ever reason will only work momentarily and not leave it on, one wont shut it off if it is on... Once it gets warmed back up the issues go away but I'm not that happy with mine. It's a decent light but I'm inclined to believe that there are better lights available for a rechargeable light.

JMC

I have a led lenser mt7 it has high and low beam, SOS, slow strobe and fast strobe and it has focused or flood beam and their compact biggest bonus is they run on 4x aaa batteries so no need for special batteries which i like because if it goes flat you can pick up batteries anywhere any time

I have a Streamlight on my AR. A Blackhawk Xiphos on my duty Glock... both excellent.

But for my carry light, I use an early generation from this company.

http://www.wolf-eyes.com/

My exact unit is no longer on their Web site, but closest is their Thunder II AX. It's like carrying a WWII anti-aircraft searchlight. Unreal illumination out to 100 plus yards.

I use the non-rechargeable, because I get some warning if it's dying w. the standard batteries. The rechargeables just go flat instantly. These Wolf-Eyes are not cheap, but better than anything I have ever seen.

I bought it after attending a night shooting class and, basically, turning my MagLite into a doorstop.

Only thing I am not crazy about is the rear button. But I am so used to it now that it's second nature. Took a while to transition, especially in night shooting drills, after years with a MagLite.

Today, there are more fantastic lights than ever before. Demo lots of stuff. You'll find the one that works for you. As important as your light is, too, don't skimp. Get the best you can get.

On the subject of strobing... I've only used it a couple of times on duty. And with a powerful enough lamp, it's very debilitating to a subject. Low power lights, not so much. But with some of the super bright lamps, the fast-blinking strobe is just plain nasty.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I'm beginning to wonder if this thread was a bad idea? I have way more to choose from now then before! I'm now definitely considering the sunwayman t20c and also the eagletac t20c (pretty sure the numbers are the same) I'm getting alittle confused on battery options however. I already have rechargeable cr123 batteries, so I'm not gonna be spending money on bats all the time. I see a lot of the lights listing the 18650 bat for usage, which it appears is essentially 2 cr123 bats together. I haven't gotten into mah numbers exactly yet. Just really trying to do my homework before I purchase another light. Which is inevitable now as nitecore won't simply sell me the part I need to fix my light. It sucks because I really like it. Candlepowerforums is making my head spin with reviews and things. I may lose my mind here!

Sorry the eagletac is a p20c mkII, just in case you're looking at these. I'm leaning more towards sunwayman out of those two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a stream light stinger with c4 LED for patrol. I've never not had it be bright enough. I was switched to a new shift who had not seen it yet. When I turned it on the officer said "holy shit what light is that I gotta get one". Has strobe and three output modes if I want them. I use the metal one not the poly stinger. I have three batteries with one wall charger and one piggyback car charger so I always have juice. For room clearing I use the tlr1 attached to my weapon. Get the stinger if u don't like it I'll buy it from u. </div></div>

I've got the Singer LED DS (not sure if its the C4) but I hav had issues with the switches. It has a tail cap switch and a standard switch on the body. Using any of the switches it is down and up for on, slightly down for momentary, down 2 times quick for strobe and hold down to cycle between the 3 intensity levels. In the winter if I leave it in the squad it has problems with the switches. One switch, for what ever reason will only work momentarily and not leave it on, one wont shut it off if it is on... Once it gets warmed back up the issues go away but I'm not that happy with mine. It's a decent light but I'm inclined to believe that there are better lights available for a rechargeable light.

JMC
</div></div>

My Streamlight does not have the tailcap switch. I chose it that way because of the way it sits while in my duty belt. I hate sitting down in the squad and having my light turn on.

Ive had mine in the cold and have not seen any issues with the switch. Mine has worked perfectly for almost 3 years.

Does this issue happen with only the tail cap or either switch?

We've had to replace some of the switches on the stingers in our patrol units. Switches are on top by the bezel. Don't know exactly what the problem was as I don't really use em. I like my ultra stinger, once I put a cree bulb conversion in. Best $35 I ever spent on that light! 350 lumen and reaches down the block and then some now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a stream light stinger with c4 LED for patrol. I've never not had it be bright enough. I was switched to a new shift who had not seen it yet. When I turned it on the officer said "holy shit what light is that I gotta get one". Has strobe and three output modes if I want them. I use the metal one not the poly stinger. I have three batteries with one wall charger and one piggyback car charger so I always have juice. For room clearing I use the tlr1 attached to my weapon. Get the stinger if u don't like it I'll buy it from u. </div></div>

JMC
</div></div>

My Streamlight does not have the tailcap switch. I chose it that way because of the way it sits while in my duty belt. I hate sitting down in the squad and having my light turn on.

Ive had mine in the cold and have not seen any issues with the switch. Mine has worked perfectly for almost 3 years.

Does this issue happen with only the tail cap or either switch?
</div></div>

The majority of the time it seems to be the tail cap switch when it has problems. But I have had problems with both switches. I haven't had a lot of problems with it lately because I make sure I take it inside with me at the end of my shift so it doesn't get that cold any longer.

But, based on my experience I am inclined to believe that there are better options for the money.

JMC

Well I pulled the plug and went with a sunwayman t20c. I guess I'll see what happens with it. If I don't like it then I'll get a klarus xt10. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, Jason

I have 3 streamlights as my duty/tactical style lights. I got the old school Stinger and Strion, both rechargable. The Stinger car kit works on the Strion, and the other one I have is a LED that uses 2 AA batteries. That one lasts forever. I had one Surefire G2. At $4-10 for a pair of CR123 batteries, giving a few hours of runtime. I know I dropped it exactly 3 times, because that is exactly how many times I replaced the lamps. My wallet cannot support Surefire. I have had the LED for 6 years, the Strion for over 4 years, and the Stinger for 3 yrs. All have the original bulbs. I cant count how many times I dropped them. The only non Streamlight that I have is the old, heavy, but reliable 3D cell Maglight. Use it for a light, or a club. But it will work either way.

i like me trusty fenix ld20 i use it EVERYDAY.....every single day. it goes everywhere i go and will continue to. only thing i can knock it on is battery usage. i am greedy and run it on max power b/c its so dang bright. i use it for work so i got batterys, that helps. im sure they have rechargeable models. got mine on ebay.

I've heard a lot of good things about the ld20. Like I stated earlier, I have no personal experience with em, other then seeing them and handling them. With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to owning one at some time. I'm still relatively new to the flashlight world really, as I've been in the dark about them for most of my life, but I'm learning and Thanks to cpf......well I'm probably gonna be doing some mods to some older mag lights that I own and maybe even a couple newer lights as well.